Sponsored by:

Heated Gloves

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017 | 10:32 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Temps this morning were between 28 and 33 degrees. The Tourmaster gloves never got warm at all. I thought maybe they need to warm up for awhile. That didn't help. After 20 miles I stopped and put my wool lined, non-electric gloves on and my hands and fingers felt a little better.
These Tourmaster Synergy gloves are great for 60 degree weather but don't stand up to lower temps and loose out to non-electric wool lined gloves.

Something's wrong with your gloves then. Do they have heat settings?? Are they set at the low setting?

You shouldn't even need heated gloves in 60* temps. That's crazy - in my humble opinion.

Old 11-28-2017 | 07:11 PM
FredCa
Cruiser

My wife and I use Warm N Safe heated gear. With the remote heat troller they provide infinite heat settings depending on the position of the ****. The gloves go from no heat to more heat than I can stand. We ride with various combinations of heated gloves, jacket liner, pant liner, and socks depending on the conditions. Temperature is not an issue when riding as long as the roads are dry.

Old 11-29-2017 | 07:10 PM
EasternSP
|
Banned

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Something's wrong with your gloves then. Do they have heat settings?? Are they set at the low setting?

You shouldn't even need heated gloves in 60* temps. That's crazy - in my humble opinion.
As I have posted earlier in this thread, I have tried several brands of heated gloves, wired and battery and NONE of them produce heat. I'm really beginning think everyone who is posting good stuff about heated gloves are just BSing me.
That's why I'm asking, is there something I'm missing about how to use these? Do you have to warm them up prior to use? Do they need to be kept in a warm place prior to use? Is there something else that needs to be used with them, i.e. electric liner?
Heat for 60 degree weather, I'm being facetious about the gloves ability to warm.

Old 11-29-2017 | 07:11 PM
EasternSP
|
Banned

Originally Posted by FredCa
My wife and I use Warm N Safe heated gear. With the remote heat troller they provide infinite heat settings depending on the position of the ****. The gloves go from no heat to more heat than I can stand. We ride with various combinations of heated gloves, jacket liner, pant liner, and socks depending on the conditions. Temperature is not an issue when riding as long as the roads are dry.
I haven't tried Warm n safe. I sent them an email asking what is required to make the gloves work in cold weather.

Old 11-29-2017 | 07:14 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Something is wrong. Either with your gloves, your controller, your voltage source, or else you have a severe neurological impairment in your hands.

Here's a test for you: Hook up the gloves directly to the plug. No controller. If you're not in pain in less than two minutes, something is seriously wrong. With no controller, you should end up with burns on both hands.

Old 11-29-2017 | 07:37 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by EasternSP
As I have posted earlier in this thread, I have tried several brands of heated gloves, wired and battery and NONE of them produce heat. I'm really beginning think everyone who is posting good stuff about heated gloves are just BSing me.
That's why I'm asking, is there something I'm missing about how to use these? Do you have to warm them up prior to use? Do they need to be kept in a warm place prior to use? Is there something else that needs to be used with them, i.e. electric liner?
Heat for 60 degree weather, I'm being facetious about the gloves ability to warm.
I can say, I wasn't BSing you about the Fly Ignitor gloves I have. I suppose 'warm' is subjective, and some have a higher tolerance to colder temps.

They are lithium battery powered so they aren't going to heat up as hot as the 12 volt gloves do. Do my hands feel as warm as sitting in the 70-72* house, no they don't. Do they keep my hands 'warm', yes they do. All I know is, I can ride in low/mid 30* at 60-70 mph with absolutely no discomfort from cold hands/fingers.

I find with the battery powered gloves to let them warm up for 2-3 minutes before putting them on and riding off. Gives the heating elements a chance to warm up the interior and insulation in the glove.

Old 11-29-2017 | 07:38 PM
EasternSP
|
Banned

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Something is wrong. Either with your gloves, your controller, your voltage source, or else you have a severe neurological impairment in your hands.

Here's a test for you: Hook up the gloves directly to the plug. No controller. If you're not in pain in less than two minutes, something is seriously wrong. With no controller, you should end up with burns on both hands.
I didn't consider trying that.
What are the odds of something being wrong with 6 different brands of gloves, battery or wired?
I don't think I have a neurological problem with my hands or fingers. I have what I consider normal feeling in them with typical pain threshold for heat, trauma or cold.

Old 11-29-2017 | 08:22 PM
EasternSP
|
Banned

OK, I plugged the gloves directly into the lead coming off the battery. No controller in the loop. The gloves didn't get warm until I let them sit for a few minutes while I was checking the battery connection. The gloves felt slightly warm when I put my hand back into them then they went cool. I let the gloves set for a few minutes again and they felt warm when I felt the inside but right away, the warm went away and they went cool again. I plugged the controller into the loop and set it on high (position 5) and let the gloves set for a few minutes. They were warm again until I put my hand all the way in then they went cool again. They wouldn't warm up again after that. I found that the fuse in the link had blown.
Seems like a problem in the gloves, but both of them?

Old 11-29-2017 | 08:28 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Either the gloves are defective, or you're not getting 12 volts to the plug. Or it's intermittent.

Double check the wiring from the battery to the plug. Make sure the connections to the battery are clean and tight. If you have a multimeter, check the voltage at the plug.

Edit: if the fuse is blown, you probably have a short in the wiring, or inside the gloves.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 11-29-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-29-2017 | 08:40 PM
EasternSP
|
Banned

There's battery level voltage at the plug. The battery connection is good and clean.
If the gloves are bad, which I suspect, I find it amazing that this has happened to all the gloves I've been trying over the past year, battery and electric. Are they really that fragile? As i have said, not a single set of gloves I have ever tried get warm.

Quick Reply: Heated Gloves