2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding amp and lower speakers to Boom 2 system.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 08:13 PM
claytucc3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adding amp and lower speakers to Boom 2 system.

Before everyone crucified me, I bought the bike used with the Harley Stage II already installed. I have lowers on the bike and want to put speakers. I don’t want to use another Harley amp because the second one has to go in the saddlebag. Has anyone attempted to install an after market amp for additional speakers along with the HD amp already in the fairing?

Old 10-20-2017, 08:42 AM
ksnell1
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have replaced the saddlebag amp and speakers in my wifes 13 RK CVO and was given great advice over in the audio section. I am sure they are going to tell you that your biggest bang for the buck will be to replace your HD amp and speakers. Try the audio section, very knowledgeable people there that are more than willing to give advice based on experience. Be sure to include a budget and what you are after in terms of sound. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
claytucc3 (10-20-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 08:16 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Claytucc ,,,,,

I would just bite the bullet now, remove the entire BoomII system and amplifier, and return the audio system back to stock, with a radio reflash at the dealer ,,,,,

then you can choose whichever brand of audio upgrades are right for you, including the ROKKER XXR stuff here https://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=55 ,,,,,,

what state do you live in ? ,,,,,,,

Old 10-22-2017, 09:47 AM
claytucc3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMJOHN
Claytucc ,,,,,

I would just bite the bullet now, remove the entire BoomII system and amplifier, and return the audio system back to stock, with a radio reflash at the dealer ,,,,,

then you can choose whichever brand of audio upgrades are right for you, including the ROKKER XXR stuff here https://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=55 ,,,,,,

what state do you live in ? ,,,,,,,
I did a complete custom setup on my 2012 bike. It had the HD Boom stuff before. I understand the benefits of it. I live in California. I was hoping I could add a supplemental system that wasn’t HD for the lowers.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:13 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Clay ,,,,,,

that is very difficult with the BoomII as Harley uses a 4-ch BoomII amp for EACH PAIR of BoomII speakers ,,,,,,

so to add a set of LOWER fairing speakers to an already existing BoomII system, you need to add ANOTHER BoomII amp with appropriate wiring harnesses, and then flash integrate it to the Harley Infotainment system ,,,,

it is an overly complex and expensive exercise, which is why I recommended removing it all now before you go any further ,,,,,

claytucc3 (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 10:35 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,857 Likes on 1,603 Posts

Oh wow, look at JMJOHN now back from the longest ban I've ever seen here. Looks like you've been back for awhile too - didn't notice. Good deal.

So, welcome back John. I see you still haven't fixed your comma tourettes issue ,,,,,,,,,,,,,'s.

Last edited by lp; 10-22-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:48 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 236 Likes on 170 Posts

Hey Clay, I know you're attempting to take the path of least resistance. Here's what you're up against: In order to add an aftermarket amp to the bike the first question is, where are you gonna put it? The current amp running your setup is on top of your radio. The only other place to put an amp is in the bag because you don't have a tourpak. Second. To add an amplifier, you need to get a signal to it. For the boom system, it ties directly into the molex plugs that come out of the head unit which is a processed signal made to perform specifically with the HD equipment. Somehow you'd have to find a way to split that signal that your current boom amp is receiving and set part of it to a biketronics line leveler in order to flatten the processed signal which then sends it to a non-HD amp which then sends it to your non-HD speakers. That's going to be a problem for a variety of reasons. First, your HU is flashed to recognize "1 amp 2 speakers". This is what the dealer had to do to get the HU to know there is now a Boom amp hooked up and as such, it tells the HU to process a different signal. If you added another Boom amp, which you stated you don't want to do (and shouldn't) they would reflash the radio to read 2 amp/4 speaker which again sends yet another signal from the HU. I fear that if you splice into the wires or even make a splitter plug to split the signal, you will end up with one of two things..your boom amp won't work or your aftermarket amp wont work. Nothing good is going to come of this.

3 options.
1. do nothing and enjoy what you have
2. add another boom2 amp and speakers to the tune of $1100 which is absolutely absurd for the money spent versus what you get
3. Accept that your best route is to yank that Boom, sell it on CL for $200 and start fresh with something that will actually perform far beyond anything Boom is capable up for a fraction of the cost. Legitimately, you can take $1000 which is an incredibly healthy budget and add one fairing amp and four speakers that will put a smile on your face for years to come. Lots of tremendous minds in the audio section that will happily lend a hand from start to finish but Boom is simply not a long term solution to high quality audio...and by high quality, I mean getting value out of the money spent.

Good luck!

claytucc3 (10-23-2017)