Exhaust sound....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 04:18 AM
Liam H'White
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust sound....

Hi guys...
Have a 2014 ultra limited and already has stage 1 with screaming eagle air cleaner and Vance n Hines monster ovals slip ons....
Just not getting the "harley rumble" note I love about other people's bikes...
Don't want to de baffle on the cheap, figure it's a 30k bike might as well spend a thousand and do it right....
But wanna know what you guys think....

Dresser duals
Or
power duals

Not after super performance it's a 10 tonne ultra not a race bike, just after better sound...

Thanks guys

Old 10-01-2017, 05:45 AM
dave the welder
Road Captain
Received 173 Likes on 128 Posts

One idea is if your bike has a catalyst convertor and if its removed, it will give more sound. But probably not the sound your after. Another idea is "true dual" exhaust. Seems to me the best sounding HD's are the Softails and Dyna's with dual pipes, even strait pipes.

Last edited by dave the welder; 10-01-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:35 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,231 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Do you have a dealer nearby or a place where a lot of Harley riders congregate? If so, hang around those places and see if you hear a bike that has the sound you're wanting, then see what setup it has installed.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:19 AM
GLW Mike
Club Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

What sounds good to someone, is so subjective to personal preference. I agree with others to try to listen to others bikes and ask them what they have. Most guys are all to willing to talk about their bikes and start them up for you. Lol

Sometimes i guess it may be a leap of faith, like changing seats...

For me, I love the deeper rumble and after hearing a couple bikes with Cobra Racepros 4.5, i went with them and Cobras power port head pipes. Couldnt be happier. I have a 2016 Limited

Old 10-01-2017, 08:30 AM
HarleyBP
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 93 Posts

Try finding a bike with a similar setup, but with the headers changed out. Those Monster Ovals should have a great "rumble" given the right setup. I have V&H headers (no cats) with the Hi-Output V&H slipons, and the Screamin' Eagle intake (tuned). I selected this setup after listening to at least 20 different bikes at two "Pipe Nights" and several other bikes that a large area Dealer fired up in the shop for me. My buddy has a similar setup with the Hi-Output slipons, but with stock headers (cats). We both agree that mine has a much nicer (deep) rumble both at idle and under acceleration. He is now looking to change out his headers.

Last edited by HarleyBP; 10-01-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:46 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

You've probably already done this, but I would suggest that you have someone else ride your bike around your neighborhood while you listen. Things sound a lot different from the saddle than they do from the sidewalk.

I gave up on the noise of loud pipes a few years ago, so I like stock pipes. I'm surprised at how good the stock pipes sound from the sidewalk, without being annoying to others. Granted, though, the stock pipes are not very entertaining from the saddle. Ear plugs take care of that.

The following users liked this post:
OldMike (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 11:10 AM
motoXjoe
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Since you already got the slip-ons, you could easily drill out the Cat with a spade bit and extension. That will open up the head pipe for alot less money, and only takes 30 minutes.

Slip off the slip-ons, drill until cleaned out good (check w/flashlight) fire it up outdoors to blow out the little pieces and re-install the slip-ons. No adjustments necessary.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:54 PM
rcrankin
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

You are off to a great start. As Krusty said, the sound in the saddle is different than the back, front, etc. Leave the baffles in. I have the Monster Rounds and love the sound. My understanding is true duals will cause a decrease in torque. Getting rid of the cat will help with the sound. V&H Power Duals are nice and the crossover cover can add to the woo factor for some. Having run the Power Duals and Fuel Moto's 2-1-2 header, my 2 cents is in FM's corner. Great quality and support. Good luck.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:43 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 975 Likes on 559 Posts

Had S&S Power Tune duals and mk45s on my 14 road king, tuned with power vision.
The best sounding exhaust I've heard on a HO 103.

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust sound....-0902161712.jpg  
Old 10-01-2017, 06:18 PM
Liam H'White
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I knew you guys would help me out and you have delivered once again.... thanks for all the help and comments....

As some of you have said i have made a start and laid the groundwork already... I have screaming eagle stage 1 with air intake and commander, also have Vance n Hines monster ovals which I want to keep as they look great...
So it is just sound....

Have heard a few say just save the cash and drill out cat in header... didn't want to go cheap option as didn't want to cause damage or have to dyno and remap...
But some of you have said i can drill out with spade bit???
And I wouldn't need to make any adjustments??

If this is the case I may start with this and if I don't get desired results I can move to power duals....

Thanks for all the help guys it was very much appreciated

Quick Reply: Exhaust sound....