SG Handlebar Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 06:43 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Default SG Handlebar Help

Hello...2014 SGS
I recently mounted a 17" wide super solo Mustang. The new seat height and 1.25" rider move back, helps with my deteriorating hips and knees. However now I feel like I really have to reach for the bars. Currently I have stock the handlebars lowered as far as possible so not to hit the Tank Dash, in order to maximize the pull back.
Thinking about new bars. Sitting on the seat, while the bike is on my jack. I feel like a 2" rise and a 1 or 2" increase in pull back might work. I would like to have the bars higher and also closer to me.( not looking for super high Ape Hangers ). Measuring the stockers as close as I can without pulling any trim, it appears that the OE bars have about an 7" rise?
Any suggestions on what bars might be a good choice, or how to determine what to buy? Also it seems to me that bars pulled back closer might be an advantage while doing dead slow u-turns, and reduce upper back tension.
Thanks!

Old 09-17-2017, 07:12 PM
kanelakos
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodacious MC
Hello...2014 SGS
I recently mounted a 17" wide super solo Mustang. The new seat height and 1.25" rider move back, helps with my deteriorating hips and knees. However now I feel like I really have to reach for the bars. Currently I have stock the handlebars lowered as far as possible so not to hit the Tank Dash, in order to maximize the pull back.
Thinking about new bars. Sitting on the seat, while the bike is on my jack. I feel like a 2" rise and a 1 or 2" increase in pull back might work. I would like to have the bars higher and also closer to me.( not looking for super high Ape Hangers ). Measuring the stockers as close as I can without pulling any trim, it appears that the OE bars have about an 7" rise?
Any suggestions on what bars might be a good choice, or how to determine what to buy? Also it seems to me that bars pulled back closer might be an advantage while doing dead slow u-turns, and reduce upper back tension.
Thanks!
I am looking into putting new bars on my Ultra as well. Same stock bars as yours and I put on a new Mustang seat and now my arms are too short. I measured the stock bars rise at 8". Figure a 10 in bar would be perfect. The Road glide special bars felt perfect. I am thinking of something close to that position.... subscribed.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:22 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

These are the bars that I went with, after 3 rotator cuff surgeries (2 on left, 1 on right shoulder) I have no more Shoulder/Back pain, these bars really made a BIG difference!

Khrome Werks Handlebar 1" 2+2 Nrw Fl part# 300519 Narrow sweeper bars 2in up plus 2in back. End Rise: 13.53in. Width: 31.77in. Center Width: 12in. Pullback: 7.64in.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:42 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by pswomack
These are the bars that I went with, after 3 rotator cuff surgeries (2 on left, 1 on right shoulder) I have no more Shoulder/Back pain, these bars really made a BIG difference!

Khrome Werks Handlebar 1" 2+2 Nrw Fl part# 300519 Narrow sweeper bars 2in up plus 2in back. End Rise: 13.53in. Width: 31.77in. Center Width: 12in. Pullback: 7.64in.
Thanks....would it be possible to post up a couple of better pictures of the bars mounted to your ride?

Old 09-19-2017, 08:06 PM
pswomack
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bodacious MC
Thanks....would it be possible to post up a couple of better pictures of the bars mounted to your ride?
I'll take some pics so you can see how they look from the side and down from the top.

The following users liked this post:
Bodacious MC (09-19-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 09:21 PM
sammer4u
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pswomack
I'll take some pics so you can see how they look from the side and down from the top.
Interested for my Ultra... subscribed

Old 09-20-2017, 08:44 AM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Here's a pic of WO578's (10") on my 17 Ultra. After I found the right position, these are very comfortable and I don't have any issues with my hands going numb anymore. Another great thing about these is nothing else was needed to install them. If you have heated grips and or plan on adding them, the left side will need to be modified a little. Cut off 3/8" and bore out the inside diameter a little (I suspect this is the case for most non-OEM bars). I have 10" PY Bagger apes on my SG that measure more like 12", they are comfortable as well but my hands go numb quite often on long rides.

Attached Thumbnails SG Handlebar Help-w0578-handlebars.jpg  
Old 09-20-2017, 12:10 PM
jwoitena
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same mustang seat on my '15 SGS (part # 79446). Before I got the seat, I had 10" LA Choppers Twin Peaks on my bike, which were great with the stock seat. Now with the Mustang Seat, the feel for me is great riding around the city, however; then came my first extended trip.

I took a 250 mile trip from GA to Destin, FL last week of August. The first thing I noticed is that the bars were a little too far to be comfortable for an extended trip. By the time I reached Destin, my shoulder blades had some soreness.

I could always adjust the bars to pull them a little closer, but I'm actually considering changing out the 10" to a 12" (as I've heard you don't need to extend the clutch/brake lines for 12" Twin Peaks). I think even with a little pull back (if needed), the bars will still be at a height that is desirable to me.

FYI - I'm 6' tall if that helps.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:28 PM
No U Glider
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 167 Posts

Just throwing out another alternative... KST 10" Mayhem Bagger bars, no change needed in cables or lines, good build quality and a little easier on the wallet than Yaffee bars with similar style...

Old 09-20-2017, 09:00 PM
pswomack
Road Master

Here is a side view and a top down view. Khrome Werks Handlebar 1" 2+2 part# 300519 Narrow sweeper bars

Quick Reply: SG Handlebar Help