Sponsored by:

Heated Grips Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 05:33 AM
rider718
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Grips Question

I have a 2017 Ultra Limited. The bike came with heated grips however I don't care for the look of the stock rubber grips and want to switch them out to another set of HD heated grips.

My question is will I need to completely run the new set of wires to install the new grips or can I use the existing wires that are already in place and just plug in the new grips somewhere?

Old 08-30-2017, 06:21 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rider718
My question is will I need to completely run the new set of wires to install the new grips or can I use the existing wires that are already in place and just plug in the new grips somewhere?
Throttle side should be a piece of cake. It's the clutch side that will give you the problems. The new heated grips will come with the clutch side grip "hard-wired" so in theory you will have to run the new set of wires. Not sure how well cutting, splicing and soldering the existing wires to the new grips wiring would work but may be worth a shot.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:44 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Some factory accessory grips run the wiring outside the bars..... check the HD website. Much easier install but not as clean looking. The accessory grips have a reputation for early failure also.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 08-30-2017, 08:48 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

I too have heard way more complaints on the grips from the P&A catalog, vs the ones that the factory puts on. Personally I'd be very hesitant to switch them. I'm not wild about their looks either, but it's nothing I can't live with.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:08 AM
JaboIam
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Here's my experience...

On my 2014 Limited, I replaced the original heated grips with the CVO (internally wired) slipstream ones. Left is part #56100097A and Right is part #5610096. Everything was plug and play. Replacing wasn't too bad. Hooked a string to left wire and pulled it through when I removed the original grip. Then, I just pulled the new wire down through the bar. Lubricated with Windex. The right side was easy and just required the new grip's two-prong plug to be plugged into the throttle sensor's end.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:16 AM
JaboIam
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My follow-up question is...

Are the new 2018 Road Glide Ultras (FLTRU), which don't come standard with heated grips like the Limiteds, prewired for them under the fairing? No dealer that I've asked has been able to answer for sure.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:55 PM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JaboIam
Are the new 2018 Road Glide Ultras (FLTRU), which don't come standard with heated grips like the Limiteds, prewired for them under the fairing? No dealer that I've asked has been able to answer for sure.
I think the reason they can't answer for sure is that it appears that SOME FLTRUs have the power connector already installed (behind the instrument cluster) and some do NOT.

My research on this pertains to my 2017 FLTRU, on which I just installed the heated grips. The factory service manual clearly shows a connector plug (for power; there is no problem with the other connector from the throttle side, which exists on all the Touring models) behind the instrument cluster, and of course its wire colors. To save my life, I could not find it. I did some Web searching and found that some who had done the install swear that they have the connector, and others who swear they do not. There are also some YouTube videos on the subject. Most show people installing the additional wiring harness from the right sidecover. That involves removal of the tank, opening the plastic wire tray, and so on. To me, that is overkill. All you need is switched power, which does exist behind the instrument cluster.

So like your dealer contacts, I cannot answer for sure on your bike. You would need to remove your gauge cluster (not a big deal if you have the FSM) and spend some time poking around to find the power connector. After an hour and a half on my bike, I gave up and spliced into existing (and unused) wiring under the cluster.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:30 PM
Charger500
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Suggest looking at the factory wiring diagrams for your bike to see if they show the wiring in place. The diagrams are available for free on the HD website in the owners documents section.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:52 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Keep in mind those are the most reliable and heavily used grips without too many issues and they perform and provide heat better heat then fancy ones I've had both style ugly ones worked flawlessly for me all the time with more heat.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:22 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

If you are going to change your factory heated grips, don't use the heated grips from the P&A Catalog, use the CVO heated grips, they are plug-n-play, yeah they cost more, but they will last also, you'll be lucky to get one riding season from the ones in the P&A Catalog.

Quick Reply: Heated Grips Question