Heated Grips Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 12:03 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by pswomack
If you are going to change your factory heated grips, don't use the heated grips from the P&A Catalog, use the CVO heated grips, they are plug-n-play, yeah they cost more, but they will last also, you'll be lucky to get one riding season from the ones in the P&A Catalog.
I added a P&A set of heated grips to my '07 in '09. They were still working fine when I traded for my '14 in Aug 2013. Roughly 5 years w/o a problem.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:33 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
I added a P&A set of heated grips to my '07 in '09. They were still working fine when I traded for my '14 in Aug 2013. Roughly 5 years w/o a problem.
You got a good set then, put a set on my 14 Street Glide, they lasted roughly 2 months, they were dealer installed, they made that set up, the 2nd set lasted 3 weeks, they made that set up and said we will not make them up anymore if they fail again, well they failed again in another month, so I bought a set of CVO heated grips and never had another problem, they worked fine when I traded it in on the 16 Limited.
I just had a very bad experience with the P&A heated grips, that's why I will only buy the CVO heated grips.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:10 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by pswomack
You got a good set then, put a set on my 14 Street Glide, they lasted roughly 2 months, they were dealer installed, they made that set up, the 2nd set lasted 3 weeks, they made that set up and said we will not make them up anymore if they fail again, well they failed again in another month, so I bought a set of CVO heated grips and never had another problem, they worked fine when I traded it in on the 16 Limited.
I just had a very bad experience with the P&A heated grips, that's why I will only buy the CVO heated grips.
I guess I was lucky. Or you were unlucky...

Old 08-31-2017, 11:05 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
I guess I was lucky. Or you were unlucky...
I think it was maybe both!....

Old 09-01-2017, 09:55 PM
2010blueultra
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Instead of replacing the heated grips on my Limited, I use Grab On MC404 foam grip covers.

Cheap and I can replace them every few months when they start to deteriorate.

And yes, the heat still works fine through the foam grips and gloves.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grab-On-Grip...1YXm-h&vxp=mtr

Old 09-14-2017, 02:37 PM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rider718
I have a 2017 Ultra Limited. The bike came with heated grips however I don't care for the look of the stock rubber grips and want to switch them out to another set of HD heated grips.

My question is will I need to completely run the new set of wires to install the new grips or can I use the existing wires that are already in place and just plug in the new grips somewhere?
The short answer is, Yes, you will need to run the wires, but only the left side.

The left grip has two wires attached to it - one is for the power and the other goes to the right grip through the handlebar.

When you remove the right side grip, first remove the end cap on the grip and unplug it from the throttle control. Reverse that when you put on the new grip.

You should be able to compete this just by tilting the fairing forward - you should't have to remove the bars to snake the wires through.

Last edited by smittyp83; 09-14-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:41 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

My second set of P&A catalog heated grips has failed. I'll be looking at the CVO version next.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:34 AM
WyattB
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put the heated Slip Stream heated grips on my 13 Ultra. Install was fairly straightforward. Grips get lukewarm. Never get really warm or hot. Not nearly as hot as the Avon aftermarket heated grips I put on my wife's Tri-glide. Only complaint about Avon is the switch not being user friendly but that is a small complaint made up for by the heat output.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:44 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

The factory rubbery grips on my Limited never get turned to over 3 even with thick gloves.... way too much heat at anything higher.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 10-01-2017, 10:03 PM
roadcapt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, when you guys changed out the stock heated grips did the new ones get as hot? I changed mine out and set them to the max setting and they just get somewhat warm. I should have replaced them with the stock style because they heat up so much better.

Quick Reply: Heated Grips Question