Sponsored by:

2 cheap fixes for oil dripping from air cleaner 2015 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 09:36 AM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 846 Likes on 318 Posts
Default 2 cheap fixes for oil dripping from air cleaner 2015 Ultra

2015 Ultra Classic with 32,000 miles. I've had the problematic drip, drip, drip of oil from the bottom of the breather since I bought the thing. I took the cover off and removed the air filter and breather hose assembly. Inside of the backing plate was lousy with oil. Took the breather hose assembly (number 11 in the drawing below) off of the air filter and gave it a good look. The oil was obviously coming from the plastic T fitting. I removed the breather bolts and the backing plate (#4 and #7 in drawing) and cleaned it up with brake cleaner. (Don't use brake cleaner while it's on the bike! It can damage paint.)

I reinstalled the backing plate and breather bolts, but I used a thin film of silicone gasket sealer between the bolts and the backing plate to keep any oil from seeping around.

I bought a new breather hose assembly #29400043. Cost $15.00. Buddy of mine is the parts guy at my local dealer, so with my "good friend discount" it still cost me $15.00.

Then I pulled the hoses off of the new breather hose assembly and applied a small amount of silicone sealer on all three fittings on the T. Pushed the hoses back on, making sure they were oriented properly.

Last, I coated the area where the hoses and the T all connect with Plasti-Dip. Just smeared it all over and let it dry. Then I put on a second coat. Photo below. You can hardly tell that there are two coats of Plasti-Dip on it.

When reinstalling it on the bike make sure to push the large fittings all the way into the holes for the breather bolts. I found that just one push didn't seat them completely. See last photo. It's kinda dark...sorry 'bout that.

The second fix is almost the same as the first. My neighbor has the same model and year of bike with the same problem. He bought a new breather hose assembly, and he also bought a slightly larger T fitting at OReilly's Auto Parts. He had to force the hoses over the larger fitting, but they went on OK. He did not use Plasti-Dip or silicone sealer on his fitting, either. He just forced the hoses on the T and reassembled it.

I haven't put many miles on mine since the fix, but it hasn't dripped yet. My neighbor has a couple thousand after fixing his and so far it's as dry as a popcorn fart in there. No dripping at all.

The following 2 users liked this post by Frank the Real Biker:
cwsharp (09-02-2017), roadpop (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 12:12 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 446 Posts

I have 29K on mine and it's never dripped. If it does I will just install a catch can and keep the oil our of the breather altogether.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:18 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,226 Likes on 2,315 Posts

Well, Frank, that's a helluva fix. Questions: How full do you fill the crankcase with oil? I only fill halfway on the dipstick and I get no oil. How sure are you that the oil isn't coming from the breather hose itself, rather than the hose fitting and the breather fittings where they attach to the breather bolts? You say you haven't put many miles on since the fix, so just wondering.

The following users liked this post:
Frank the Real Biker (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 02:31 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

If I understand correctly you in effect sealed all the hose connection points and where the breather bolts are secured to the heads. So now any liquid will only come out the end of the hose in the throats of the TB. Unfortunately there should be no liquid going into the air box. That's the problem. Under small throttle openings like under normal riding condition there's not enough velocity in the air box to pull all the dripping oil into the TB. I had the same issue on my last TC when it hit around 30k miles. I changed both breather assemblies to include umbrella valves under the rocker boxes covers and it fixed the problem. BTW both umbrella valves LOOKED perfectly normal when removed. If a TC is not over full when hot and both umbrella valve are functioning correctly they won't **** oil into the air box.

Last edited by LA VIC; 08-22-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Frank the Real Biker (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 03:01 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Well, Frank, that's a helluva fix. Questions: How full do you fill the crankcase with oil? I only fill halfway on the dipstick and I get no oil. How sure are you that the oil isn't coming from the breather hose itself, rather than the hose fitting and the breather fittings where they attach to the breather bolts? You say you haven't put many miles on since the fix, so just wondering.
It's definitely coming from the T fitting. It was covered with oil. I should have taken a photo of it, but I didn't think of it at the time. The fitting around the breather bolts were dry.

I bought a service agreement with the dealer in which I can have the oil changed as often as I want, so I have them do it. Once the service agreement expires next April then I'll change it myself. Anyway, I'll check the oil level next time I have it changed.* That could be part/all of the problem.

*I should say I'll check it and look closely at the level. I always check it when I get it back from a service, but I never paid close attention to the exact level. Could be that the service tech just dumps in the amount he thinks is correct and buttons it up.

Last edited by Frank the Real Biker; 08-22-2017 at 03:09 PM.
GalvTexGuy (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 03:07 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master

Originally Posted by LA VIC
If I understand correctly you in effect sealed all the hose connection points and where the breather bolts are secured to the heads. So now any liquid will only come out the end of the hose in the throats of the TB. Unfortunately there should be no liquid going into the air box. That's the problem. Under small throttle openings like under normal riding condition there's not enough velocity in the air box to pull all the dripping oil into the TB. I had the same issue on my last TC when it hit around 30k miles. I changed both breather assemblies to include umbrella valves under the rocker boxes covers and it fixed the problem. BTW both umbrella valves LOOKED perfectly normal when removed. If a TC is not over full when hot and both umbrella valve are functioning correctly they won't **** oil into the air box.
If I understand you correctly, the breather hose assembly is there to direct oil into the TB only if it is too full, or if a person is running it hard. Sounds logical to me. It does seem to drip more after I've been running all day on the interstate. Kinda what GalvTexGuy said in his reply.

I'll keep an eye on the oil level regardless of my (cough cough) innovative fix for the dripping oil. Sounds like that is the root of the problem.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:21 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank the Real Biker
If I understand you correctly, the breather hose assembly is there to direct oil into the TB only if it is too full, or if a person is running it hard. Sounds logical to me. It does seem to drip more after I've been running all day on the interstate. Kinda what GalvTexGuy said in his reply.

I'll keep an eye on the oil level regardless of my (cough cough) innovative fix for the dripping oil. Sounds like that is the root of the problem.
Nothing wrong with what you did it just those lines are to carry air that has minuscule amounts of very fine oil mist. Most TC bikes will see a buildup of a few darker gunkie spots on the air filter over the course of say 10,000 miles. Clean the filter in soapy water and dry it out and go another 10k.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:12 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

I've never had this issue on my '15 Limited, but I'm a pretty conservative rider. FWIW, I run the oil at the "Full Hot" mark on the stick.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:04 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master

Originally Posted by jpooch00
I've never had this issue on my '15 Limited, but I'm a pretty conservative rider. FWIW, I run the oil at the "Full Hot" mark on the stick.
I put a couple hundred miles on mine yesterday, then checked the oil when I got home. It's about 1/4 of the way down between full and low on the "Hot" side of the stick. (No drips out of the breather, either!) The oil has about 2,000 miles on it, and it had been dripping some oil during that 2,000 miles. Wish I would have looked at the exact oil level right after getting it changed. Now I may never know if it was too much oil or what.

I don't run mine hard, either. Sometimes on the interstate I'll do 80 to 85 depending on the speed limit, but I avoid the slab when I can. The 200 hundred miles yesterday were all GON2L (Good Old Numbered 2 Lane) with a top speed of probably 60 MPH. Got 45 MPG. I'm pleased with that.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:15 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,075 Likes on 3,630 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank the Real Biker
2015 Ultra Classic with 32,000 miles. I've had the problematic drip, drip, drip of oil from the bottom of the breather since I bought the thing. I took the cover off and removed the air filter and breather hose assembly. Inside of the backing plate was lousy with oil. Took the breather hose assembly (number 11 in the drawing below) off of the air filter and gave it a good look. The oil was obviously coming from the plastic T fitting. I removed the breather bolts and the backing plate (#4 and #7 in drawing) and cleaned it up with brake cleaner. (Don't use brake cleaner while it's on the bike! It can damage paint.)

I reinstalled the backing plate and breather bolts, but I used a thin film of silicone gasket sealer between the bolts and the backing plate to keep any oil from seeping around.

I bought a new breather hose assembly #29400043. Cost $15.00. Buddy of mine is the parts guy at my local dealer, so with my "good friend discount" it still cost me $15.00.

Then I pulled the hoses off of the new breather hose assembly and applied a small amount of silicone sealer on all three fittings on the T. Pushed the hoses back on, making sure they were oriented properly.

Last, I coated the area where the hoses and the T all connect with Plasti-Dip. Just smeared it all over and let it dry. Then I put on a second coat. Photo below. You can hardly tell that there are two coats of Plasti-Dip on it.

When reinstalling it on the bike make sure to push the large fittings all the way into the holes for the breather bolts. I found that just one push didn't seat them completely. See last photo. It's kinda dark...sorry 'bout that.

The second fix is almost the same as the first. My neighbor has the same model and year of bike with the same problem. He bought a new breather hose assembly, and he also bought a slightly larger T fitting at OReilly's Auto Parts. He had to force the hoses over the larger fitting, but they went on OK. He did not use Plasti-Dip or silicone sealer on his fitting, either. He just forced the hoses on the T and reassembled it.

I haven't put many miles on mine since the fix, but it hasn't dripped yet. My neighbor has a couple thousand after fixing his and so far it's as dry as a popcorn fart in there. No dripping at all.

I was having the same issue with my 2017 M8. I settled on using a 6.4 oz plastic oil container to run the tee into. No more issue. I tried a small purpose made catch container but its volumes was such that spit would some out of IT'S breather holes.

TexasMotorcycleRider (09-01-2017)

Quick Reply: 2 cheap fixes for oil dripping from air cleaner 2015 Ultra