2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want louder pipes without breaking the bank.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017 | 03:47 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by brokefootkenny
if you drill the baffles do you not need to tune the ecm? can you drill the baffles to a bigger diameter opening without trashing them? i would be concerned about metal tillings left in the pipes after driling too yes?
The way I described removing the baffles, in my post above, is really the only way to deal with the muffler's baffles. You need not worry about any metal shavings in the pipes. The exhaust will blow them right out. The part you are drilling with the hole saw in right at the rear exit of the muffler pipes. No problems at all. I did this trick for my buddy's 2014 Streetglide. Worked great. My bike came with the original and aftermarket mufflers. So my pipes are brand new, un-modified, and unused.

Ride Safe!

Old 08-24-2017 | 03:58 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by tkuligowski
2016. I might buy some catless stock head pipes from eBay. They sell for $100. I don't have a welder to do it myself.
Lots of guys do it with a long paddle bit on a drill and a long handled screw driver. Once you break the center honeycomb structure up use the screw driver to pry the sides away from the pipe and pull it out. Suck the remaining shavings out with a shop vac. $0 dollars just a little time.

Old 08-24-2017 | 08:41 PM
sirrat007
Advanced

Drilling out the cat is easy you can do it yourself. I work slow and did mine in less than 3 hrs. The BTS ratio (Beer to time spent ratio) was 4 beers. If ur drinking a lite beer I would place the BTS at a six pack. Get the largest paddle bit that will fit...not the 1 1/2" they show on you tube. I think the one I had was 1 15/16". Unless you can find a really long bit...you will need a bit extension. Make sure the bit is locked in before you start and also hold it to the outside of your pipes first and wrap tape around the bit to mark the maximum depth you want the bit to go. You don't want to go too deep and damage ur O2 sensor. As far as the debris issue....I fired my bike up before re-installing my mufflers and blew out all the chips/dust that way with no ill effects. That being said sucking them out first with a shop vac sure wouldn't hurt.

Pls beware if you remove the cat and later plan to run a V&H FP3 (or probably any other tuner that utilizes Data from the O2 sensors)the auto tune feature will not work correctly. Doesn't mean the FP3 won't work only that the Auto Tune is unreliable. The canned maps still work fine. Just about any non factory header pipe would remedy the auto tune issue.

Good luck

Last edited by sirrat007; 08-24-2017 at 08:55 PM.