Sponsored by:

Radio interference with boom audio

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Gbass442
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio interference with boom audio

Okay guys... need some help ... I have a 2015 SGS that has boom audio stage 2 in it... front speakers in fairing and one amp... I have converted all my turn signals and rear fender tip to custom dynamics led bullet and tri bar last year. Had zero trouble with radio... beginning this summer i installed custom dynamics tru beam led ... here is where all trouble begins... I originally thought that I had knocked a wire loose somewhere inside the batwing installing the headlight as for the last few weeks as I am riding the radio was cutting out. that being said, I proceeded to go from the tuner, to my MEDIA and play from my usb and it was doing the same,,, then I have gone to my phone via bluetooth and have still had same problem... zero to very scratchy reception on all 3 platforms... after multiple calls to 3 diff Harley dealers, 2 of which just wanted to put me into a new boom audio ($2k, I hardly think so) and they also said that my NAV prompts were causing the intereference... WHAT.. i wasn't even using my NAV and it wasn't in the backrgound running either... I finally spoke with one service guy who had me flash my radio to the most current upgrade and see if that helped... while doing upgrade, (it has to be done with bike in AUX position, so headlight is OFF) it loaded perfect and radio sounded great... as soon as I turned knuckle to the ON position and headlight came on, STATIC... WTH... totally frustrated as I love the light... Was told to try Ferrite Coils and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with this method or success. I am at a complete loss... I know radio is good and have checked for and found ZERO loose wires, amp seems fine and is secure as is all wiring... any and all feedback and help is appreciated...would and could LED headlight cause problems in all 3 stages of my radio... media, tuner and Bluetooth...

Last edited by Gbass442; 08-12-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Sounds like the problems are all related to the installation of that headlight. Not unusual for LED devices to generate a ton of interference.

Question becomes which do you like more, the radio or the headlight? If it was my problem, the solution would be to revert to the oem headlight or find one that doesn't generate RFI.

The following users liked this post:
Gbass442 (08-13-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 09:19 PM
Harttoo
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

I recently put Sylvania brand led stoplghts in My car.Only to find, that they make a horrible noise in the radio, when stopped.E-mailed Sylvania ,who told Me that this is not unusual.So I bought some china made cheapies and swapped.No noise.The Sylvania ones rot in My basement.LED's can be noisy!

The following users liked this post:
Gbass442 (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 06:13 AM
phil41
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the same problem on my 14 FLHTP....static or cuts out over bumps, pretty poor reception otherwise. Nothing is loose and it will work fine in the garage (LED headlight and LED passing lights on, but motor not running). Curious if you are using the hidden antenna or an external. I've got the hidden, amplified one from HD and was thinking of trying an external to see if that helped.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:18 AM
Gbass442
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phil... I have both... I have the same hidden amplified under batwing and i also have the original whip and did an old school trick and ran it along frame under seat and part of gas tank and seemed to get much better reception from that, doing it that way, than from my hidden...(obviously, can only run one antenna at a time. Ha)... after turn signals were installed it seemed that the hidden picked up way to much interference and thats why I reverted back to the whip under seat.... just frustrated that it may be the light.... I hate to think about going back to a yellow headlamp...

Old 08-13-2017, 06:04 PM
phil41
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I like the brights of the lights more than the look of no antenna. Probably going to swap out for an external sometime soon.