Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is new air intake worth it on HO103?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:31 PM
tkuligowski
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Is new air intake worth it on HO103?

The intake on the High Output 103 seems to be vastly superior to the older "football" style intake on the previous 103. I've been looking at the FM stage one and the HD stage one that both reuse the stock air cover and debating on whether a K&N filter on the stock setup would be just as effective. Thoughts?

Old 08-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 842 Posts

Unless you are doing a complete stage 1, Air Cleaner, decatt or pipes and fuel tuner, you wont get anymore performance going with a high flow air cleaner.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:39 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by tkuligowski
The intake on the High Output 103 seems to be vastly superior to the older "football" style intake on the previous 103. I've been looking at the FM stage one and the HD stage one that both reuse the stock air cover and debating on whether a K&N filter on the stock setup would be just as effective. Thoughts?
I put a K&N OEM replacement filter on mine.

As far as any performance gains, don't know. But is a better filter than the stock HD filter.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:42 PM
tkuligowski
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1
Unless you are doing a complete stage 1, Air Cleaner, decatt or pipes and fuel tuner, you wont get anymore performance going with a high flow air cleaner.
Yes I will be doing all that. I have slip ons - working on the rest. However, still wondering if a different intake is completely necessary based on what I stated above. Will not be doing anything above stage one at this point.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:01 PM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tkuligowski
If you are going to order through FuelMoto, you should get their OEM style air cleaner. It flows a TON of air, and is reasonably priced when you put together a "power package"

Plus a K&N filter is $75 alone. Getting a whole kit is $150 including a filter.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:19 PM
Tired
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,805 Likes on 1,757 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyL
I put a K&N OEM replacement filter on mine.

As far as any performance gains, don't know. But is a better filter than the stock HD filter.
They do flow more air. And along with that more dirt. It's an oily rag between two screens. Pretty common to see increased silica (dirt) in oil analysis samples when using that style of filter.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:43 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 217 Posts

I put on a Screamin Eagle Hi-Flow and did not notice any improvement over stock. All I noticed was the intake noise though. I went back to the complete stock cover and airbox and put in a K&N filter. I've got a complete SE intake for sale if interested.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:37 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 842 Posts

If you are going to do slip ons and not cut the cat out, you don't have to do anything with the AC. If you are going to cut the cat and add a fuel enhancer, along with slip ons, then a high flow air cleaner will give you more flow and good looks. Depends on how cool you want your bike to look and how much money you have.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:42 PM
Puttnik
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by '14 Limited
I put on a Screamin Eagle Hi-Flow and did not notice any improvement over stock. All I noticed was the intake noise though. I went back to the complete stock cover and airbox and put in a K&N filter. I've got a complete SE intake for sale if interested.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:32 PM
JCBGlide
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

More Aire In + More Fuel Added + Free Flowing Exhaust = More HP / TQ
Doing 1 w/o the other 2 gains you little.
I've ran the Ness BS for years with no complaints

Quick Reply: Is new air intake worth it on HO103?