Sponsored by:

Brakes noise assessment

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 01:23 PM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Brakes noise assessment

I have 16,000 miles on my 2015 Ultra Limited. I just noticed a noise that occurs when coming to a stop, right at the end of the stop. The brakes are not 'squeeling' .......... it more of a 'groan' right when coming to a stop. (Maybe this has "always been there" and I just now noticed it ?) The brakes seem to work OK.

I'm going to take a closer look at the pads, but when I looked last night, I'm pretty sure the pads have some decent depth to them, certainly not down to the 'wear lines' yet. I think it was the front left, where the 'outer' pad was thinner than the 'inner' pad (if that makes sense) - not sure if being 'unbalanced' is an issue ? Or might cause the noise ?

Anything else I should look for ?

Last edited by dh_meyer; 07-28-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:38 PM
maynard10
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes a wheel bearing that is starting to go out will make a noise also. Mine did at 6000 miles.
To be sure you can just jack the front end up off the ground and pull the front calipers off (the 2 bolts holding them are 10mm / 12pt socket, I think) and give your wheel a spin. Then you will know for sure.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:42 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Could be the pads or a bearing. You are at that point in miles where the bearings do fail. Mine went out at 18k and my buddies at 21k.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:50 PM
Rdcris
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dh_meyer
I have 16,000 miles on my 2015 Ultra Limited. I just noticed a noise that occurs when coming to a stop, right at the end of the stop. The brakes are not 'squeeling' .......... it more of a 'groan' right when coming to a stop. (Maybe this has "always been there" and I just now noticed it ?) The brakes seem to work OK.

I'm going to take a closer look at the pads, but when I looked last night, I'm pretty sure the pads have some decent depth to them, certainly not down to the 'wear lines' yet. I think it was the front left, where the 'outer' pad was thinner than the 'inner' pad (if that makes sense) - not sure if being 'unbalanced' is an issue ? Or might cause the noise ?

Had the same kinda noise on mine, warped rotor. I replaced just the rear and the noise went away but still had a slight pulse afterward. Replaced the fronts when I blacked out the front end, all is good now.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:00 PM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

One pad should not be noticeably thinner than the other. If it is, you might have a sticky caliper piston that's causing that pad to drag and build up heat in the rotor. If you can get the front wheel off the ground spin it and see if it spins free or if you can hear that pad dragging. Might be time to clean those calipers before they end up warping a rotor. Are you feeling any pulsing? If you have a dial caliper you can check the runout on your rotors to see if they're true.

And no, it ain't supposed to make that noise.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:29 PM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Here is a link to a slide show of pictures of my brake pads.

I know the lighting/angles/pics are not the greatest, but seems like the pads themselves have some reasonable pad thickness left based on the 'wear bars' , but I'm open to comments.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...VR0VWdncVhBZlk

FWIW, so I'm not experiencing a pulsation when braking.

Thanks.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:03 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

Because of the linked brakes one set of pads on the front wear more than the other especially if you are a heavy rear brake user.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:10 AM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by rwven
Because of the linked brakes one set of pads on the front wear more than the other especially if you are a heavy rear brake user.
Good point. I was talking about the pads on a particular wheel. He said the outer pad was thinner than the inside pad. After looking at the slideshow I'd say his pads look very good. The owners manual for my 2011 RGU says minimum pad thickness is .016 inches. His have a long way to go before they get that thin.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:08 AM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by blackxpress
Good point. I was talking about the pads on a particular wheel. He said the outer pad was thinner than the inside pad. After looking at the slideshow I'd say his pads look very good. The owners manual for my 2011 RGU says minimum pad thickness is .016 inches. His have a long way to go before they get that thin.
Something is up with that caliper.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:21 AM
vspkent
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dh_meyer

****** the rotors off and send them out to be resurfaced. This is what i did after chasing brake noises for 2000 miles. Tried everything. Now all is smooth and quiet.

Kent

Quick Reply: Brakes noise assessment