Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch glitch WTH

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017 | 09:12 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
Without a doubt. However I was more or less on on a fresh fluid replacement, as in it being done less than a year ago. It's also why many car performance enthusiasts change DOT4 out for DOT5.1 (not to be confused with DOT5), increasing the dry/wet boiling point from 446F/311F to 500F/356F.

In my case, I feel like it just got too hot due to being stuck behind that RV and in 1st gear for too dang long. Add in running super lean in high altitude with a stock bike (and a hot cat), the engine and trans were hotter than ****.
Biggest issue was no shoulder or safe place to stop and let it cool down. I am going to talk to the MOCO to find out if 5.1 is acceptable and swap to that for one, but also going to go ahead and suck it up and do a stage 1 to the bike to lower the heat.
Wow! I would have thought that a bike that's supposedly "designed" to be a mile-eating, cross-country machine would be capable of crossing the country, mountains and all, right out of the box. Guess not.

To be fair, I've ridden my '15 Limited all over the Rockies in scorching temps with no problem(s) at all, so maybe this issue is something other than heat-related when operating under normal conditions?

No way would I spend a bunch more money trying to get mine to do what it's already supposed to do to begin with.

I wonder what a Caddy buyer would think if the salesman told him/her that "Oh yeah, one more little thing, you'll need to spend more money on aftermarket parts if you want the car to perform as advertised in the mountains".

I doubt if they'd sell all that many.

Old 07-26-2017 | 09:49 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Wow! I would have thought that a bike that's supposedly "designed" to be a mile-eating, cross-country machine would be capable of crossing the country, mountains and all, right out of the box. Guess not.

To be fair, I've ridden my '15 Limited all over the Rockies in scorching temps with no problem(s) at all, so maybe this issue is something other than heat-related when operating under normal conditions?

No way would I spend a bunch more money trying to get mine to do what it's already supposed to do to begin with.

I wonder what a Caddy buyer would think if the salesman told him/her that "Oh yeah, one more little thing, you'll need to spend more money on aftermarket parts if you want the car to perform as advertised in the mountains".

I doubt if they'd sell all that many.
Like you, I had 10's of 1000's of miles in the Rockies with no issues. However, this instance was unique. I had never previously been stuck behind an RV for several miles, all while winding and up around and up, and all of it in first gear because there was no opportunities for all the cars and me behind it to pass. I was pissed and so was my bike, lol.

Old 07-26-2017 | 03:57 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
Like you, I had 10's of 1000's of miles in the Rockies with no issues. However, this instance was unique. I had never previously been stuck behind an RV for several miles, all while winding and up around and up, and all of it in first gear because there was no opportunities for all the cars and me behind it to pass. I was pissed and so was my bike, lol.
As my grandfather used to say "That'd be enough to **** off the Pope"!

I guess that under those circumstances the best of 'em might have a hiccup or two.

Ride safe,

JP

Old 07-28-2017 | 07:12 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master

Don't get me started on RV's and mountains. They're proof that some people aren't stupid; they just don't care.

Only curves around here are freeway ramps, and there's always one car ahead of me...