Sponsored by:

Mid Frame Air Deflector Colors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 07:40 AM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by oldbie
How much was the color matched fairing? Are colors higher than Vivid Black?
Thanks.
call or message fairing exchange soon. He is making the road trip to install fairings from PA to MN. maybe stop at your place on the way Syracuse IN on Jan 9th to do my 2016 RGU

The following users liked this post:
oldbie (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 08:36 AM
Fred_HD
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took mine and had them vinyl wrapped in carbon fiber look. I did the color match and the added a pin strip and then vinyl. I really like the look. I will post a picture tonight from home.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:05 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

I was going to get color matched deflectors, then saw this article by DK Customs.

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/why-...cl-tc-dn-2.htm

1. Remove the left side thigh protector. This will help the air flow very fast past the rear cylinder and out the left side...this is good for the engine, and will reduce the amount of felt hot air on the right side.

With the right side shield still in place, it acts like an air scoop pulling air into the space behind the cylinder...but with the left side removed, that air can now exit easily. With both installed, they are essentially two scoops that push air from both sides to collide and swirl, with no real good place for the air to exit.

It is not symmetrical looking, BUT, you can only see one side at a time, so it is unlikely most will notice you have a thigh protector on one side and not the other.

Doing this will cool the engine overall, so while riding & when coming to a stop you have a cooler engine than you would otherwise. However, if you are at a stop long, or in continuous stop & go, you will feel more heat on the left than the right.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:33 AM
TBagger
Tourer
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
I was going to get color matched deflectors, then saw this article by DK Customs.

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/why-...cl-tc-dn-2.htm

1. Remove the left side thigh protector. This will help the air flow very fast past the rear cylinder and out the left side...this is good for the engine, and will reduce the amount of felt hot air on the right side.

With the right side shield still in place, it acts like an air scoop pulling air into the space behind the cylinder...but with the left side removed, that air can now exit easily. With both installed, they are essentially two scoops that push air from both sides to collide and swirl, with no real good place for the air to exit.

It is not symmetrical looking, BUT, you can only see one side at a time, so it is unlikely most will notice you have a thigh protector on one side and not the other.

Doing this will cool the engine overall, so while riding & when coming to a stop you have a cooler engine than you would otherwise. However, if you are at a stop long, or in continuous stop & go, you will feel more heat on the left than the right.
This ! I run only the right side and it helps a bunch in cooling ! Its not symmetrical but it works. So before you spend a bunch of money color matching or dipping you might want to consider getting a stock set and experimenting for your self.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:22 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by TBagger
This ! I run only the right side and it helps a bunch in cooling ! Its not symmetrical but it works. So before you spend a bunch of money color matching or dipping you might want to consider getting a stock set and experimenting for your self.
I have done the same for the past 1 1/2 years. I had the bike on the lift last week, and saw the left deflector was off, WTF, then I remembered.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:59 AM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,730 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
I have done the same for the past 1 1/2 years. I had the bike on the lift last week, and saw the left deflector was off, WTF, then I remembered.
Have you noticed a benefit?

Old 12-21-2017, 12:02 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

The concept seems solid, seat of the pants answer is yes. Do not notice any addition heat from left side while stopped. I'm sure there is, but not enough to put the left deflector back on.

The following users liked this post:
oldbie (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 12:19 PM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,730 Likes on 769 Posts

I think our bikes look better with no deflectors, but I'm hesitant to remove both.