Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Bearings Failed

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 07:07 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 540 Posts

Seems like more wheel bearing issues as of lately, more so then ever.

MoCo in normal fashion, is known to cheapin parts to make Head Bean Counters happy.

QUESTIONS TO ALL:

Seems like late MY bikes having the trouble with Wheel bearings.

1. Are some folks using direct fire with the water hose at wheel bearings when cleaning their bikes?

2. Do owners of these bikes have "wheel spacer covers" or are the wheel bearings exposed to open air?

The main reason I ask is that I was wondering if the "wheel spacer cover" that covers the wheel bearings add more protection to the actual wheel bearing.

Thoughts?

YB

Old 07-28-2017, 07:43 AM
Poodie
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi
My hog only ever washed by hand
Bearing still shot at 8.000m and under 2 yrs

Brian Fitz

Old 07-28-2017, 08:56 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Poodie
Hi
My hog only ever washed by hand
Bearing still shot at 8.000m and under 2 yrs

Brian Fitz

Except my originals only made it 5000.....

Old 07-28-2017, 09:28 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Installing the second bearing with pressure against both inner and outer races would require a backing plate that would hold the first bearing's inner and outer races in alignment, otherwise the second bearing would go in until the inner spacer pushed the first bearing's inner race outboard until the ***** stopped at the limit of their outboard movement. That would destroy a bearing pretty quick. Not all bearing puller/installers can do it right, and I suspect quite a few failures are because they were installed this way without the specific tool for that kind of installation.

The wheel bearings I've used on my Harleys have had equal width inner and outer races, but I'd check them with a straight edge before depending on that; with the variety of cheap bearings coming out of China, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them weren't - and if you were determined to use a pair like that, the only way to install them would be a tedious installation of the second bearing, pressing in a tiny bit, removing the install tool, and checking the inner spacer until you finally reach the point where it just touches both races. Get that spacer tightly wedged between the bearings, and it's pull and replace the second bearing, or risk premature failure again. Between lack of grease in some new bearings and the somewhat complicated installation in Harleys, I'm not surprised there are so many reported low mileage failures.
Yep. The Almighty MOCO did us all a great favor by replacing the serviceable, tapered roller bearings that had worked and lasted just fine for decades with this ****.

Typical! Take something that works and replace it with something that doesn't. That's the MOCO's way of doing things, without a doubt.

The following users liked this post:
hardheaded (07-28-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 10:42 AM
Almond farmer
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

@Imold
agree with the backing plate requirement on the primary rotor side when installing the BB on the pulley side.
prefer to press second bearing with contact pressure against the primary BB with spacer swandwiched between the two outer BB's.

Have to be gental on these BB so as not to damage and introduce flat spots or depessions on the ***** or race groove edge, especially deep groove type.

there must be a Timken tapered roller bearing with 25mm bore x 52 mm OD outer race x 15mm width.
May have problem with sufficient depth for lip seal.
could use a narrow steel / rubber lip seal, but only serves as dust seal.
installation to 2000-2007 using wider, 25mm bore x 52mm OD x 21mm width should have ample depth for a lip seal.
key to tappered roller bearing setup is axial end play, .002-.006" tolerance
started a thread on the technical wheel & tire forum on wheel bearing grease for tapered roller bearings, but no interest

Old 07-29-2017, 12:03 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Nachi wheel bearings - Japanese quality

Originally Posted by Rumblin
What is the preferred brand and part number of the "best" bearing replacement? I haven't had any issues on the '16 with 28K, but always on the lookout. Thanks for the heads-up.
Performance Machine / PM uses these 25 mm bearings and said they were the best that they've found. Size is 6205-2NSE9. I
rather doubt that they make an ABS sensor bearing though but it would be worth checking.
https://www.nachi-fujikoshi.co.jp/en...pdf/B3402E.pdf

They have a distributor here in SoCal and easy to business with too.