Sponsored by:

Front Wheel Bearings Failed

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:30 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by plongson
Planning ahead, I looked at All ***** for an OEM replacement and they too are made in frigg'n China...just like OEM. So where's the benefit/improvement??

Ya might as well stay with HD Chinese as All ***** Chinese. WTF...I don't think we make anything here in the USA anymore.
The difference is in the QC. The MOCO = zero - All ***** = more than zero. As far as I can remember, I've yet to read or hear anything about multiple, repeated failures of the All ***** products.

Last edited by jpooch00; 07-20-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:36 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 193 Likes on 170 Posts

Yea, i don't know why some are going out early, some are not, seems odd, i have 36,000 on my bike, Knock on wood, and they are fine, Is it the bearing's, the assembly process, lack of grease, or just mixed batch's of bad bearings ?

Old 07-20-2017, 06:03 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,606 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by tpcowfish
Yea, i don't know why some are going out early, some are not, seems odd, i have 36,000 on my bike, Knock on wood, and they are fine, Is it the bearing's, the assembly process, lack of grease, or just mixed batch's of bad bearings ?
all of the above is the problem.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:16 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,204 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Sw1
I have heard the opposite about all *****. Those bearings linked are made in China. Are they worth a crap or not?
They are KML bearings which are manufactured in China. However, KML is an industry leading bearing manufacturer. Motion Industries is owned by the parent company of KML, Sunmotion Industrial Service, and they provide bearings to a lot of industries in the US, including most of the chemical & oil refineries in the Greater Houston area. I would trust their bearings on my bike.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:59 PM
Sw1
Road Captain
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
They are KML bearings which are manufactured in China. However, KML is an industry leading bearing manufacturer. Motion Industries is owned by the parent company of KML, Sunmotion Industrial Service, and they provide bearings to a lot of industries in the US, including most of the chemical & oil refineries in the Greater Houston area. I would trust their bearings on my bike.
That is good to hear. It is not always the country of manufacture as much as it is the specs they are required. If i ask you to make the bearings for 5cents and that is all i want they will be crap. But if my specs are that they last x amount of years/miles and exact tolerances they can make them excellent.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:19 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I put AllBalls on my 883 since the metric/US measurement mix is hard to find outside of a Harley dealer, but AB has them. Yes, they're Chinese made, but they're heavy duty, including sturdy steel ball cages, have plenty of Chevron synthetic grease in them, and the ones I've seen had double seals. I pop the seals off any bearing I get (don't try that with the newer metal shielded Harley bearings though) and have found many with hardly any grease in them. I think most of the failures are poor quality grease and not enough of it, or both. A lot of bearings for a long time have had some clear stuff that looks like vaseline; I've cleaned that out of bearings that otherwise looked fine, and replaced it with a premium brand synthetic. Never had a bearing I installed fail once I started doing that back in the 70's. I doubt a dealer would check a new bearing even if you asked.

The following users liked this post:
1madmouse (06-08-2019)
Old 07-20-2017, 09:14 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,031 Likes on 7,308 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Really???? When did that happen?

I have worked in the industry 40+ years now and my brother works for Motion. It has for as long as I can remember been a wholly owned subsidiary of Genuine Parts.

I know KML and they make a good bearing. It is not the country but the company that is important. It is a world market and has been since the 80's on bearings. Every major bearing manufacturer makes bearing on every continent.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:23 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,031 Likes on 7,308 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
I thought imported items HAD to be marked with country of origin. US made, I thought was exempt. But I could be wrong...
They do! However it does not necessary have to be on he actual product. It can be on the packaging and paper work. For example I just imported 100k grade 25 chrome steel ***** from China for a customer. They cannot put anything even a part number on a chrome steel ball. But the package clearly states China and we clearly quoted them as "Made in China". You can get in a world of trouble otherwise.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:24 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,204 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
Really???? When did that happen?

I have worked in the industry 40+ years now and my brother works for Motion. It has for as long as I can remember been a wholly owned subsidiary of Genuine Parts.

I know KML and they make a good bearing. It is not the country but the company that is important. It is a world market and has been since the 80's on bearings. Every major bearing manufacturer makes bearing on every continent.
It's very confusing and I may not have all my facts straight, but this what I found:

KML Bearings is owned by Motion Industries. Motion Industries is owned by GPC. Sunmotion Holding Limited is the parent company of KML. There is also KML Auto Parts and KML Motion Industries. All of them are based in China.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:40 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I have close to 30K on my bike and the front wheel bearings are fine. They will be replaced with the All ***** I referenced earlier when I need new tires. I have to pull the bearings anyway at that time so I can get my wheels powder coated.

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Bearings Failed