Sponsored by:

FP3 first impression

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 07:27 AM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts
Default FP3 first impression

I just installed the FP3 tuner when I got home today from work.It updated like everyone said it would.When it says,lost Bluetooth connection,don't panic.It will come back.Follow the very simple instructions slowly and thoroughly.Picked my map from the list.Id been using the demo app for awhile.I made sure I purchased things from the maps list.V&H vo2 naked air cleaner.Kuryakyn crusher mellow pipes.Flashed the ecm and out for a ride I went.It started like it always did.Idle was smooth.Throttle response was crisp.No decel pop.Took off threw the neighborhood and very smooth running.No surging.Second gear at 25-30 was smooth.No surging.Got out on the blvd and it ran very smooth.More refined.Found a stretch of road and took her up to 90 fairly easy but it always did that but more refined.Decel pop is 95% gone which is fine by me.It really took the rough edges off.I'll have to hit the Montana mountains for a real feel.But I like it very much.I'll be keeping an eye on my pipes for discoloration and checking fuel mileage.Hogpro for $304.00.Rob was great to chat with.Good investment.I put it back in the box and I'm done with it.Feel free to ask questions.

Last edited by Idahokid; 07-07-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:40 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 202 Likes on 137 Posts

I, too, have just purchased and installed an FP3. I am doing a stage 1 gradually (finances and not wanting to make wholesale changes at once) and actually installed the FP3 on my stock setup a week ago. My experience with it was confusing, because I am not sure it affected anything at all using the stock map, but the bike seemed to gulp extra fuel noticeably at interstate speeds.
Last Saturday I installed the high flow ac and external breather (from DK) and went out for a two hour auto tune since there really is no map I can find for just the air cleaner change. That will be a continued effort this weekend. I am planning on getting a new header, so I am sure I will use the autotune a lot.
As V&H says, I assume it will take several tanks of gas to get the settings right. But, I am looking for resources to read how to maximize the benefit. I am really looking to improve my dismal gas mileage (compared to friends I ride with who get 20% more miles out of a tank with the same stock trikes). As much as I have looked online, I find little to explain how best to use the FP3 for an ignorant user. Most of what I see is very elementary or very advanced.
Maybe this thread will be a source of info as we discuss the effects on our bikes.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:47 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 193 Likes on 170 Posts

I use the FP3, started with a stage 1, worked fine , fuel mileage was fine, added cams, same results, fuel mileage is still good, average around 40mpg, sometimes better sometimes a tad lower, depends on riding conditions, 2 up, fast driving, ect.

The following users liked this post:
Idahokid (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 09:03 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,213 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by LS Bob
I, too, have just purchased and installed an FP3. I am doing a stage 1 gradually (finances and not wanting to make wholesale changes at once) and actually installed the FP3 on my stock setup a week ago. My experience with it was confusing, because I am not sure it affected anything at all using the stock map, but the bike seemed to gulp extra fuel noticeably at interstate speeds.
Last Saturday I installed the high flow ac and external breather (from DK) and went out for a two hour auto tune since there really is no map I can find for just the air cleaner change. That will be a continued effort this weekend. I am planning on getting a new header, so I am sure I will use the autotune a lot.
As V&H says, I assume it will take several tanks of gas to get the settings right. But, I am looking for resources to read how to maximize the benefit. I am really looking to improve my dismal gas mileage (compared to friends I ride with who get 20% more miles out of a tank with the same stock trikes). As much as I have looked online, I find little to explain how best to use the FP3 for an ignorant user. Most of what I see is very elementary or very advanced.
Maybe this thread will be a source of info as we discuss the effects on our bikes.
You're adding more fuel, so your MPG will go down. I would forget the auto tune for now and just go back to the stock tune until you replace the stock exhaust.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:46 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 217 Posts

I saw no change at all in fuel mileage while cruising except when I'm into a headwind. It naturally will be lower but it's noticeably lower with the FP3 in headwinds. That's because the FP3's AFR tables richen the mixture more at higher throttle settings than the stock map does. Cruise settings remain the same and your O2 sensors will keep it that way.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:22 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,045 Likes on 7,313 Posts

Sounds like a good product.

The following users liked this post:
Idahokid (07-08-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 07:57 PM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Its great. I really like mine. If you only changed the intake, use the improved stock map. Look close, it assumes you have a high flow intake.

I use it, but still have my stock Rushmore intake, but with a DIY breather bypass.

Only picked a new map when I changed slipons from stock to Rush. V&H suggested one, once I emailed them exactly what I had.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:46 PM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by LS Bob

What headpipe you looking at?Ive always wondered how much loader it will be.I live in a quiet neighborhood and don't want it to loud.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:14 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by '14 Limited
I saw no change at all in fuel mileage while cruising except when I'm into a headwind. It naturally will be lower but it's noticeably lower with the FP3 in headwinds. That's because the FP3's AFR tables richen the mixture more at higher throttle settings than the stock map does. Cruise settings remain the same and your O2 sensors will keep it that way.
I will say you are always truthful and have knowledge on the
FP3 . I had one on my last bike. On this one I have stage one and slip ons
and this bike runs better with the dealer download than my last bike with FP3. I'm just not sold on the flash tuners now. TTS is still the best way to go.
And a good Dyno Guy,. But for warranty the dealer download worked well for me.

Last edited by tbob; 07-08-2017 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:03 AM
touchdown
Supporter
Veteran: Army
Received 1,773 Likes on 1,008 Posts

For me i guess the FP3 is ok. but I like to put my bike on the Dyno that I know its right.

Quick Reply: FP3 first impression