Black exhaust options for a Stage 2 FLHXS

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017 | 01:19 PM
Herbkell
|
Tourer
Received 114 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Black exhaust options for a Stage 2 FLHXS

I have fallen prey to the DBOS (Dreaded Black Out Syndrome) and decided that the world needs just one more blacked out Street Glide......

I am in the process of organizing for several chrome bits to get powder coated. I plan to leave some isolated chrome bits but the bike will be predominantly black.

My plan is to go with a black exhaust and I have been reading many threads on the subject of headers/exhaust but still need some more advice or feedback. I currently have de catted stock headers and V&H Twin slash round mufflers. The bike is fuelled by a PV with a custom tune from FuelMoto. I found the sound a bit mild for me but it has improved after swapping to the Andrews 57H cams.

I would like an option that produces a nice deep tone but is tolerable at cruising speeds. I also would like to avoid significant hp/loss and any other new issues like scraping over speed bumps etc. I would also like to purchase from a Canadian store as it dramatically reduces shipping costs taxes etc. This probably eliminates Jackpots Fullsac and some others.

Here are some options that I have been considering:

Ceramic coating the existing mufflers and heat shields - presumably the least expensive option but I am concerned about the long term durability. I would be interested to learn from others on their experience with this option.

V&H Power Duals and V&H Oversized 450's - I like this option as the Power duals apparently don't loose much if any hp and the 450's have an available quiet baffle if I feel they are too loud for touring. Downside is some people report scraping over speed bumps and during hard cornering

V&H Dresser duals and V&H Oversized 450's - this is a cheaper option but I am concerned about hp/torque loss. This option presumably eliminates the scraping issue.

Rinehart Slim line duals with 4 inch mufflers - I have never owned or ridden a bike with Rinehart pipes. I am concerned that they may be too noisy for me. Do people consider them louder than the 450 combinations above? Is there a hp/torque loss?

Rinehart Extreme duals with 4 inch mufflers - cheaper option with the same comments and questions as above

I would welcome any comments or suggestions as I a keen to give the World the rarest of motorcycles ......another blacked out Street Glide

Old 06-26-2017 | 02:54 PM
djackson
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have on mine a Fullsac DX head pipe, with back mesh insert heat shields and Street Cannon slip ons. I pulled packing to get a deeper sound I was wanting.

Old 06-26-2017 | 03:59 PM
Billman812
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Did the MGS truedual on a SG, I would call their black a matt or semi gloss and sounds good similar to Rinehardt.
On the RG I just left the de-catted head pipe and used a set of black heat shields with slip-ons

The following users liked this post:
Herbkell (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017 | 04:08 PM
Herbkell
|
Tourer
Received 114 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman812
Did the MGS truedual on a SG, I would call their black a matt or semi gloss and sounds good similar to Rinehardt.
On the RG I just left the de-catted head pipe and used a set of black heat shields with slip-ons

SE black heat shields on the existing de catted stock headers is another good and less expensive option - thank you

What slip ons did you use with the black headers and was there a good colour match?

Old 06-26-2017 | 08:40 PM
twistedsweeper
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.dragosbikeworks.com/drago...pe-header.html

Dragos makes awesome pipes in black. I went with the Dragos H-pipe and Two Brothers exhaust with carbon tips for mine. Nice and deep.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ring-1995-2016

Old 06-26-2017 | 09:37 PM
Az Limited
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you looked into or considered S&S, they have a black Power Tune Dual Header, (Looks like true duals but has a hidden crossover, so no loss of low end torque) and their new line of MK45's are awesome, also come in black and with a removable db killer when in, nice low note and bark when you want them to, or take them out for when you want to make some noise, 2 sort allen screws and they slide right out.
I have them in chrome, about 2000 miles on them and could not be happier, riding in Arizona when it's 115 is hot, but with the new header it's a lot more bearable, and have not scraped once and i tend to lean a lot. Fit, Finish and performance are top notch....
https://www.sscycle.com/