Sponsored by:

Another seat question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 07:21 AM
redcar
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another seat question

Hello, Looking for some input. I have a 2015 SGS with stock seat. I am 5'11 and 180 lbs, my seat sits me good, but new girlfriend is a little bigger girl than last one. After about an hour or so she gets fidgety. Says stock seat does not have enough padding/support. Since I do not want a "sofa" seat all the time, I am looking at the Saddleman Dominator solo seat with added pillion. Do any of you have this seat and do you like it? How does your passenger like it on long rides? Any input? At about $600 don't want to waste money on something that will not fit the bill.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:53 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,454 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by redcar
Hello, Looking for some input. I have a 2015 SGS with stock seat. I am 5'11 and 180 lbs, my seat sits me good, but new girlfriend is a little bigger girl than last one. After about an hour or so she gets fidgety. Says stock seat does not have enough padding/support. Since I do not want a "sofa" seat all the time, I am looking at the Saddleman Dominator solo seat with added pillion. Do any of you have this seat and do you like it? How does your passenger like it on long rides? Any input? At about $600 don't want to waste money on something that will not fit the bill.
Heck, I don't blame her. After about 10 minutes on that thing, I'd be fidgety too! Do you have a backrest on it for her? If not, she's sitting on a ****-ant little seat, with no padding, and no backrest for support. You are lucky she is riding with you at all!

Tell you what...you let her drive the bike and YOU sit on that backseat as a passenger....and THEN tell me if $600 for a Saddleman is STILL too much!

I'll be listening for you........

p.s.: You can get a Sundowner one piece two-up Touring seat for about $400, and her problem will be fixed. And you'll be more comfortable too.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:30 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

I'd say, about any seat, for the passenger area ,is going to be better than the stocker on a sgs. Iv'e not tried the saddleman, , but have a few different brands in my garage, and sold a couple, and now am on a Corbin, so far ,i think it's the best. All behinds are different, But if you are ok on the stocker, maybe try a ultra stock seat, for the passenger

Old 06-13-2017, 12:05 PM
redcar
Intermediate

Yes she does have a back rest. It's not about the $600, as much as it's buying the right seat this first time. I like the idea that when I am solo, the rear bar and rack come off and its is a sportier look.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:08 PM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 794 Likes on 353 Posts

That's why I bought an Ultra Limited, just sayin'.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:15 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I know it's not what asking but I run the mustang super solo with a 13" pillion. I also have an 11 that I can switch out. It's not as bulky as a full touring seat but the pillion being separate gives you more options.

My wife made it from the dealer to home on the stock SG seat. Luckly the mustang I had swapped over nicely and all was well. The SG stock seat is really just a solo.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:19 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,454 Likes on 933 Posts

that
Originally Posted by redcar
Yes she does have a back rest. It's not about the $600, as much as it's buying the right seat this first time. I like the idea that when I am solo, the rear bar and rack come off and its is a sportier look.
Oh, I understand completely about the wasting the money on the wrong seat.

I wish you were closer to me. I have a Mustang Touring 2 up seat in my garage that I bought from a guy in Minnesota. I bought it for my 2009 RK and used it for a while until I bought my Ultra. It's still in good shape too. I'd sell it at a bargain price too; i.e., under $150. The problem is the shipping costs from Charleston to where you live.

I was thinking that you could use something like like the Mustang for 2 up riding, and take it off when you are riding by yourself.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:43 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Don't know what part of Michigan you're in, but have a couple seats you could try, and if you like buy ,in my barn, Mustang super tour, but it sits you back, im about 15 min east of toledo,by the lake, PM if you want to

Old 06-14-2017, 10:53 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,787 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Redcar - I am in Lake Orion, where are you?

I ride a limited - have an extra seat in my garage - small tear from boot. The limited seat is an extra inch wider and longer. If you are close, why not ride over, try the seat on and see if this is something she will like.

BTW, I sure hope she doesn't read this site. When we learned of the extra seat on the limited, wife asked - are you getting that for me? Of course, I say - no way honey - you don't need that but it is there in case you want to stretch out of something.

Last edited by cycle7447; 06-14-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:14 PM
redcar
Intermediate

Thanks, That could be very possible. I will let you know, one way or another. I live in Howell.

Quick Reply: Another seat question