Infotainment blues

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017 | 12:11 PM
Havanacigar
|
Tourer
Default Infotainment blues

Looking for some help and advice:

Last year I bought a used 2014 Street Glide standard, rode it for a month and a half and stored it for a New England winter the radio worked great up until the last couple of days before I put it away. Sometimes it would come on, sometimes not. If I stopped after a while and restarted the bike it would work great.

Last week I couldn't get the radio to come on at all. I pulled/replaced the fuse, start/stopped the bike but still couldn't get by the clock display. I figured it must need the latest update, so I carried a jump drive with the update just in case it decided to work.

Finally after an hour ride, I restarted the bike and the warning screen came up and I was able to work the radio. I switched to acc. and was able to up-load the latest update from Harley successfully!

Now, days later, I cant get it to go by the clock again. The bike is not under any type of warranty. Before I bring it to the dealer, questions.. Has this happened to anyone else? if so, what was the fix? If I have to buy a new radio, is the 6.5 worth the extra $$? I really thought the update would cure the problem, but it seems not.

Thanks for reading...

Old 05-15-2017 | 01:09 PM
emu309
Cruiser
Default Try a radio reset

I have not heard or read about a radio acting like this. My experience is when it begins to do strange things that a radio reset will correct a lot of problems. Pretty sure this is the first thing the dealer would do. I don't have the instructions in front of me, but, they have been on this forum many times. Try doing a search for " infotainment reset" and follow the directions.

Last edited by emu309; 05-15-2017 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Wirding
The following users liked this post:
Havanacigar (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017 | 02:29 PM
Zinc
Intermediate

Have you tried a full system reset? I would try that before taking it to the dealer.

Havanacigar (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017 | 06:05 PM
Havanacigar
|
Tourer

I was able to find a reset procedure for a 6.5 system, I'm thinking it'll work for the smaller system also. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2017 | 06:43 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by Havanacigar

Last year I bought a used 2014 Street Glide standard, rode it for a month and a half and stored it for a New England winter the radio worked great up until the last couple of days before I put it away. Sometimes it would come on, sometimes not. If I stopped after a while and restarted the bike it would work great.

Last week I couldn't get the radio to come on at all. I pulled/replaced the fuse, start/stopped the bike but still couldn't get by the clock display. I figured it must need the latest update, so I carried a jump drive with the update just in case it decided to work.

Finally after an hour ride, I restarted the bike and the warning screen came up and I was able to work the radio. I switched to acc. and was able to up-load the latest update from Harley successfully!

Now, days later, I cant get it to go by the clock again. The bike is not under any type of warranty. Before I bring it to the dealer, questions.. Has this happened to anyone else? if so, what was the fix? If I have to buy a new radio, is the 6.5 worth the extra $$? I really thought the update would cure the problem, but it seems not.

Thanks for reading...
If it's bringing up the clock display in the middle of the screen, that's normal for the radio turned off. It should come back by selecting/depressing the Mute/Power hard button.

Old 05-15-2017 | 07:39 PM
Havanacigar
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hammz
If it's bringing up the clock display in the middle of the screen, that's normal for the radio turned off. It should come back by selecting/depressing the Mute/Power hard button.

Thanks, yeah, tried that, the system wont turn on when I push the on/off button

Old 05-15-2017 | 08:17 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Havanacigar

Thanks for reading...
ebay item

or a 6.5

Havanacigar (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017 | 07:49 AM
fatmurse
Tourer

My '15 Roadglide did this same thing. Rode all day Saturday crankin the tunes then Sunday morning, no radio, just the clock. I was still under warranty but dealer service closed on Sunday. Long story short: radio needed update. So try an update before you buy anything. I bet it will solve the problem.

Old 05-16-2017 | 08:17 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

My '14 limited did the same thing when I first got it took it to the dealer abd they hooked it up and flashed it have never had the problem since.

Old 05-16-2017 | 10:51 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member

Just a thought. I would check the plugs and connectors on the radio.

Expensive but I like the 6.5 better than the 4.3. I replaced my 4.3. With the 6.5.
if your 4.3 is toast and you decide you're budget-minded I still have my 4.3 that I took out we can deal on.

Quick Reply: Infotainment blues