Heated Grips won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 06:36 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool Heated Grips won't turn off

Hello,

I just installed a new set of handlebars and while I was at it, I installed a set of HD heated grips. I've had these grips on previous bikes so I'm familiar with them. Here's the problem. As soon as I started the bike for the first time after buttoning everything up, I noticed that the grips were getting warm. I checked and the rotary dial is set to "0". After a bit of experimenting, I can't get the grips to turn off no matter what setting they are on. Anyone had this problem before? There's really only one way to plug the wires in since they have male/female sockets correct? The left grip has two wires. One goes to the power plug on the left side of the fairing. The other wire connects to the right side wiring that feeds back up to the Throttle by wire.

Thanks for any ideas.

Dave

The following 2 users liked this post by The Pawnbroker:
BGR (07-09-2023), Harleyrlb (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 07:14 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain

Hmm. Now that I've had a chance to get home and look at the service manual, I see that both the power connection under the fairing AND the interconnect coming from the right grip both have a female two place Tyco 40 connector. So I guess I may have connected the left power wire to the right grip interconnect and the left interconnect wire to the power connector. Would that cause them to be on always? It was a bit late last night and I was in a hurry and tired when I made that connection. Typical situation for a mistake. I think I just "***-umed" that the connectors would be different to make this mistake impossible to make.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:24 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,043 Likes on 7,312 Posts

Yeah I would say that is what the problem it.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
The Pawnbroker (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 08:40 PM
Charger500
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by The Pawnbroker
Hmm. Now that I've had a chance to get home and look at the service manual, I see that both the power connection under the fairing AND the interconnect coming from the right grip both have a female two place Tyco 40 connector. So I guess I may have connected the left power wire to the right grip interconnect and the left interconnect wire to the power connector. Would that cause them to be on always? It was a bit late last night and I was in a hurry and tired when I made that connection. Typical situation for a mistake. I think I just "***-umed" that the connectors would be different to make this mistake impossible to make.
I just installed a set of factory take offs, I don't think it's possible to mix up the connectors, because both the bike and left grip have two connectors, one male and one female. Did you remove the connector housings from the left grip to thread the wires through the bars? If you did it may be possible that you put the wrong housing on the wrong set of pins/sockets, then the power would feed through the right grip instead of the left grip.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:43 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The connector going to the power should be red and black wire and the interconnect should be two white wires with a black stripe. Least that is the OEM grip wires as I recall.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:26 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain

I did run them inside the bars but didn't take off the connectors. I "thought" one was male and one female so I didn't need to check too closely. However, it looks to me like the wires coming from the left grip are both male according to my reading of the factory manual's wiring schematic. I will admit I'm not an expert at wiring. So maybe someone else will confirm?

Old 05-11-2017, 10:49 PM
FlyingSkeet
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

I did the same thing( heated grips always on ) but I was so tired of working on it I took it to the dealer and had them make it right.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:52 PM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FlyingSkeet
I did the same thing( heated grips always on ) but I was so tired of working on it I took it to the dealer and had them make it right.
Do you know if it was the fact that the connections were reversed?

Old 05-12-2017, 01:39 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Here's a post I did back when I did mine, shows the connector locations...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...l#post14752098

Good luck

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

The following users liked this post:
The Pawnbroker (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 10:06 AM
FlyingSkeet
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

I believe it was,but not sure. I didn't really care at that point just glad to have my screw ups fixed. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Quick Reply: Heated Grips won't turn off