Sponsored by:

Gas smell, and tank not vented

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 390 Likes on 255 Posts
Default Gas smell, and tank not vented

Maybe someone has experienced this and can tell me what's going on.

I've got a '14 Tri Glide with about 15K on it. It's still under extended warranty. I came home from a fairly long ride and parked it in the garage; nothing seemed unusual on the ride. The gas tank was still about 3/4 full.

About 15 minutes the wife came in from the garage and said it smelled like gas, pretty strong, stronger by the trike. It sure did. So I opened the gas cap and it either sucked in some air, or it blew a little out, it was hard to tell. But by the sound it was more inward, like the tank had a slight vacuum on it.

The smell went away after that since I opened the garage door for a while.

So, does anybody know what is probably going on? Cap vent plugged up? I don't see a "Purge solenoid" or a "charcoal canister" anywhere obvious like the manual says. Motorcycles "Sold in some markets," have an EVAP control system, so I take it that those aren't the problem. Or it's that they are more hidden than the pictures show?

Likewise under the fuel tank top plate there is an unservicable Vapor Valve, maybe that's plugged or not working? (Replace top plate?)

Yeah, I know it's a warranty item, but some times if it's an easy fix it's just quicker, easier, and takes up a lot less time without riding to do it yourself. And I'm curious, it's always nice to know what the dealer mechanic should be doing. I probably should replace the original cap anyway, it got a little easier to put back on over time, but is still harder than it should be.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:07 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Same thing happens to my '14 Limited since I bought it, from time to time. I think it is just unburnt fuel from the exhaust. Happens more often after long rides or if I have been running it hard on our 85mph toll roads. More or less when the engine is pretty hot. I just vent the garage for a short time. It has not impacted the bike at all in the last 90K miles. I doubt you have any issues. In addition, had the same symptoms on my '13 RGU and '08 Heritage Classic, and my wife's '14 Heritage Classic does it too.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:39 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master

Huh, I wonder why it waited until now. I'm still going to grab a new cap since I'm going to the auto store anyway.

I should go to one of the eight gas cap threads to find the part number.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:43 PM
dieter621
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It is not the cap. The heat radiating up from the V Twin heats the gas in the tank causing the gas smell. Very common on air cooled engines. I have the same issue on my FXDC so before I bring it into the garage I let it cool down outside.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master

You know, now that you guys mention it, I've never taken the cap off unless it was immediately after running to add gas, or after it had sat for a long time, so that may be why I never noticed the pressure. Maybe the system just isn't as tight as it used to be.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:06 PM
Midnite13
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
Maybe someone has experienced this and can tell me what's going on.

I've got a '14 Tri Glide with about 15K on it. It's still under extended warranty. I came home from a fairly long ride and parked it in the garage; nothing seemed unusual on the ride. The gas tank was still about 3/4 full.

About 15 minutes the wife came in from the garage and said it smelled like gas, pretty strong, stronger by the trike. It sure did. So I opened the gas cap and it either sucked in some air, or it blew a little out, it was hard to tell. But by the sound it was more inward, like the tank had a slight vacuum on it.

The smell went away after that since I opened the garage door for a while.

So, does anybody know what is probably going on? Cap vent plugged up? I don't see a "Purge solenoid" or a "charcoal canister" anywhere obvious like the manual says. Motorcycles "Sold in some markets," have an EVAP control system, so I take it that those aren't the problem. Or it's that they are more hidden than the pictures show?

Likewise under the fuel tank top plate there is an unservicable Vapor Valve, maybe that's plugged or not working? (Replace top plate?)

Yeah, I know it's a warranty item, but some times if it's an easy fix it's just quicker, easier, and takes up a lot less time without riding to do it yourself. And I'm curious, it's always nice to know what the dealer mechanic should be doing. I probably should replace the original cap anyway, it got a little easier to put back on over time, but is still harder than it should be.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

on most touring bikes. The canister and purge solenoid are under the seat near the battery. Smart i know

Old 02-26-2018, 12:01 PM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by dieter621
It is not the cap. The heat radiating up from the V Twin heats the gas in the tank causing the gas smell. Very common on air cooled engines. I have the same issue on my FXDC so before I bring it into the garage I let it cool down outside.
I have to agree but I would suggest all bikes do this.
Mine certainly does in hot weather, really smells up the garage with gas fumes.
Its the tank venting from the pressure, if there was a charcoal canister the canister would catch the fumes.

I always assumed no charcoal canister such as they have in automobiles.
My Yamaha was a CA bike and had a canister but I think that is the only state.

I assume the above it correct but I am curious if I am correct! Sounds like I maybe as many others have the same issue, except I assume CA bikes.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:28 PM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

I’m no expert, but I think it’s just one of those things. All 3 of my Harley’s have done that, especially after longer rides in hot weather, and I now let it cool down a bit in the driveway before bringing it in. Kind of strange that none of the other brands I’ve owned did it, but it is what it is.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:31 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

I've noticed (and ignored) this a few times with my '15 Limited - just like with every other H-D I've ever owned.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:38 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

My '14 Limited has always done that also.

Quick Reply: Gas smell, and tank not vented