Sponsored by:

Freewire-Sena 20s mic output

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 09:53 PM
Harleyrlb
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Freewire-Sena 20s mic output

I have the Freewire paired with the Sena 20s. Everything works except I can't speak to any callers or talk on the CB as well as voice prompts. I have the latest software on all devices including the infotainment system. I also have the Boom 2 audio set up. I also ran the Sierra Electronics extension to the tour pack so I could mount the Freewire there. The extension has a "y" at the end that attaches to the back of the infotainment system permitting the use of the 7 pin on the fuel tank and adding the 7pin into the tour pack. I just learned that Sierra doesnt sell that cord anymore as they claim that their customers didn't use the extra connection so they elimated it and only sell the cord currently on their website. I can use the Sena Harley clamp kit plugged into the tank 7 pin just fine so I don't think it's the wiring.

I went through all of Sena's tech support suggestions yesterday. It didn't work. They are sending me a new Freewire. Regardless, I want to see if anyone else has experienced this same problem and whether you were able to resolve it or not. If you were able to get it working properly what steps did you take in the process.

I appreciate your input! Thanks.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:28 AM
mstrty
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The condition you describe is the same as other if......
If their Phone is paired with both the Sena and the Boom infotainment. The solution has been to ensure your phone is only paired with the Boom system and make doubly sure your Sena is not paired to your phone.
Watch this.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:38 AM
Harleyrlb
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mstrty
The condition you describe is the same as other if......
If their Phone is paired with both the Sena and the Boom infotainment. The solution has been to ensure your phone is only paired with the Boom system and make doubly sure your Sena is not paired to your phone.
Watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_AmYO9RoUA
I should have mentioned that phone is paired with infotainment system only. Not the culprit here.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:16 AM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

One of two things come to mind...

First, update the firmware on your 20s. I had the same "speakers yes, mic no" issue when I first bought my freeware. While you're at it, update your freewire.

Second, the Sierra harness gets installed to the grey plug ON TOP OF THE RADIO, not the one under it. I made this mistake, because I thought the Y at the end was to maintain that commection. Nope. According to Sierra, the plug on top is for adding the round com plug to street glides, the come on the Ultra are fed from somewhere else. Sierra has since removed the Y from the wire.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:27 AM
Harleyrlb
Cruiser

Originally Posted by VinceTheArchitect
One of two things come to mind...

First, update the firmware on your 20s. I had the same "speakers yes, mic no" issue when I first bought my freeware. While you're at it, update your freewire.

Second, the Sierra harness gets installed to the grey plug ON TOP OF THE RADIO, not the one under it. I made this mistake, because I thought the Y at the end was to maintain that commection. Nope. According to Sierra, the plug on top is for adding the round com plug to street glides, the come on the Ultra are fed from somewhere else. Sierra has since removed the Y from the wire.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the input. At the moment the Sierra harness appears not to be the problem as I can use the wired connection with the Sena 20s helmet clamp kit. I mentioned in my post that the Freewire was updated to the latest software as well as the 20s. That didn't help. At this point, Sena is going to replace my Freewire. I made the original post in the hopes of getting feedback from others to see if anyone else experienced the same issue as I have. To all that reply it is much appreciated!

Old 04-27-2017, 09:25 AM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyrlb
Thanks for the input. At the moment the Sierra harness appears not to be the problem as I can use the wired connection with the Sena 20s helmet clamp kit. I mentioned in my post that the Freewire was updated to the latest software as well as the 20s. That didn't help. At this point, Sena is going to replace my Freewire. I made the original post in the hopes of getting feedback from others to see if anyone else experienced the same issue as I have. To all that reply it is much appreciated!
Ooops... I missed the part about the firmware being current.

If the sierra wire is connected to the wrong port in the fairing, the stock dash/tank com port will still work.
When using the freewire connected to the sierra wire, do you get any sound from the speakers? If not it is definitely the sierra wire connected to the wrong port in the fairing.
It gets installed just like Part No. 69200865

Old 04-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Harleyrlb
Cruiser

I have an Ultra Limited. My connection is black. I have tried to connect using the tank com port. Nothing goes out through the mic. Using the Sena Harley Clamp kit to my helmet works perfectly. Its when the Freewire is connected I get everything but sound out through the mic. No one can here me when I use CB or phone or voice commands. Sena right now things its the Freewire. I am hoping that is all it is. I posted to see if anyone else with a Freewire had the same issues. I bought my Freewire within a couple weeks of them being placed on the market. It could be that mine is missing something. I will know more when they send me the replacement. Otherwise for now I am using the Harley Clamp kit on my helmet and plugging into the 7 pin on the tank.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:02 AM
skyflyer
Road Captain
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts

I had the same issue when installing the freewire.

The first thing I was doing wrong was after doing the update on the freewire I wasn't clicking next device so it wasn't saving the update to the freewire.

Second was after finishing the update correctly push the little reset button on the freewire.

Doing both steps correctly in order fixed my problem.

Last edited by skyflyer; 04-27-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Harleyrlb
Cruiser

I wish that would have resolved my problem. Sena tech support had me do that but it didn't resolve it. Thanks for your input.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:23 AM
Harleyrlb
Cruiser

After getting a replacement Freewire and having my tech go through the wiring for the 7 pin connection, I discovered that the cause of my inability to talk was due to using the Sena Harley clamp kit. I had bought 2 Harley clamp kits last year before the Freewire came out. I then bought a Freewire early last November several days before the bike went into storage. This Spring I tried to use the Freewire and it worked except the ability to talk on the CB and phone calls. To my disappointment I discovered last week after phone calls to Sena tech support and some testing on my part I learn that you can't use the Sena Harley clamp kit with the Freewire. You have to use the regular clamp kit that comes with the 20s (or the other compatible headsets). Funny thing Sena doesn't tell you that and I have pissed away the money for the Harley clamp kits that don't work with the Freewire. So those trying to use the Harley clamp kit with the Freewire beware!

Quick Reply: Freewire-Sena 20s mic output