Freewire-Sena 20s mic output

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 03:33 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Ron -

Did you ask Sena if they would reimburse you the cost of the H-D Clamp Kits? Seems fair since it's their products that aren't compatible with each other.

Glad you got it figured out!

BTW - Didn't I say it was a Sena problem?

Last edited by Hammz; 05-31-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:30 PM
Harleyrlb
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
Ron -

Did you ask Sena if they would reimburse you the cost of the H-D Clamp Kits? Seems fair since it's their products that aren't compatible with each other.

Glad you got it figured out!

BTW - Didn't I say it was a Sena problem?
I think you did. They aren't going to reimburse me for the H-D clamp kits. I have something else in the works. What is really sad about this is that they don't publish the fact that the H-D clamp kits won't work with the Freewire when they know that fact. I could have avoided weeks of down time and aggravation had they let me know from the beginning. I let them know from the start I was using the H-D clamp kit and yet they didn't say anything about compatibility.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:14 AM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 371 Likes on 237 Posts

I have to ask, Is this 20s compatible with the CB, can I communicate with other riders through CB?

Old 06-01-2017, 08:09 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by 30glock
I have to ask, Is this 20s compatible with the CB, can I communicate with other riders through CB?
The 20S is compatible. You have to decide if you plan to go wired (H-D clamp kit) or wireless (Freewire) because Sena's products are NOT compatible with each other.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:39 AM
Harleyrlb
Cruiser

I would reiterate Hammz's statement.

Old 07-30-2017, 07:06 PM
NickMDN
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering if anyone has found a solution to this problem. I have both the H-D clamp kit AND the original 20S clamp, and I cannot transmit on either. I've also sent back the first Freewire and received a warranty replacement. STILL does not work on either headset clamp. I've also done all of the firmware upgrades. The only thing I have NOT tried is to do a factory reset after the firmware upgrade on the Freewire. (What's the point of doing the firmware upgrade if you are doing to reset it back to the factory version?). Thanks to anyone who has a better idea. I told the Sena Help Desk from the beginning that I was using a H-D clamp kit, and they never mentioned any kind of incompatibility. But, as I said, it doesn't work with the 20S clamp, either. Frustrating.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:01 PM
Harleyrlb
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NickMDN
Just wondering if anyone has found a solution to this problem. I have both the H-D clamp kit AND the original 20S clamp, and I cannot transmit on either. I've also sent back the first Freewire and received a warranty replacement. STILL does not work on either headset clamp. I've also done all of the firmware upgrades. The only thing I have NOT tried is to do a factory reset after the firmware upgrade on the Freewire. (What's the point of doing the firmware upgrade if you are doing to reset it back to the factory version?). Thanks to anyone who has a better idea. I told the Sena Help Desk from the beginning that I was using a H-D clamp kit, and they never mentioned any kind of incompatibility. But, as I said, it doesn't work with the 20S clamp, either. Frustrating.
I am able to transmit with the regular clamp kit. Given what you said, it makes me wonder if you have an issue with your 7 pin connector. Have you been able to check your 7 pin with a Harley headset? Also can you hear music, cb etc with the Freewire?

Old 07-31-2017, 05:35 PM
NickMDN
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harleyrlb
I am able to transmit with the regular clamp kit. Given what you said, it makes me wonder if you have an issue with your 7 pin connector. Have you been able to check your 7 pin with a Harley headset? Also can you hear music, cb etc with the Freewire?
Thanks, Harleyrlb. Everything works fine with both a normal Harley headset and a Sena headset with the H-D clamp kit. I can hear music, navigation, CB, etc. and transmit on CB and give voice commands.

With the Freewire, I can still hear everything. I just cannot transmit, either CB or voice commands.

Today, I re-loaded the latest firmware on both the 20S and the Freewire. No change. Then, I did a reset on the Freewire to factory defaults. I had to pair again, but no change. I also tried the setup with my phone completely off. I even deleted the 20S pairing from my phone. Still no luck.

The 20S pairs easily with either the Freewire or the phone. I tried to pair the Freewire as a second phone, but could not get that to work. It kept pairing intercom. Anyway, if it doesn't work with the phone completely off, I doubt that would make any difference. And speaking of intercom, I don't use it, so I don't know how well that works, if at all. It is an added complication that I'm glad I don't have, frankly.

So.. I am about to leave on a coast-to-coast cross country ride. I was really looking forward to using the Freewire. I can live with the Sena and the H-D clamp kit, and be able to talk with other riders on CB and Sena. However, it just ticks me off that I've wasted so much time and money on this stupid thing. And, frankly, the Sena customer support has been of no help - other than to take 4 weeks to replace the first unit.

Any suggestions or experiences welcome.

Nick

Old 07-31-2017, 06:21 PM
Harleyrlb
Cruiser

NickMDM,

You need to pair the Freewire as if it is a phone. You do that by pressing the back button along with pressing the the middle of the jog wheel until the 20s starts flashing red and blue. Make sure the 20s is turned on before you do that. Then press the middle button on the Freewire until it starts flashing. It should pair right away.