Sponsored by:

Gas tank overflowing

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 05:24 PM
FlyingSkeet
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Gas tank overflowing

I have owned my limited for almost 2 years now and have not figured out how to fuel up without the tank overflowing over the tank and engine into the floorboards. This only happens with the California vapor recovery hoses. I have tried putting it in every direction, filling fast feeling, and slow and still from time to time the nozzle will not shut off and it overflows really pisses me off. Anyone know how the shutoff works? I'm thinking I'm going to have to get smarter than the Pump!

Thanks in advance

Old 03-16-2017, 05:33 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,008 Likes on 11,636 Posts

I've never fully trusted the auto shut offs. I generally know about how much gas my tank will take, and I release the pump trigger to about 1/4 flow as it approaches within 1 gallon of fuel. Oh yeah, and I never use the handle lock feature.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:41 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Look down the filler hole as you're filling up and stop when it gets close to the top. No need to run the pump full bore either like you would in your car/truck.

The following users liked this post:
RANGER73 (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 05:42 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,027 Likes on 4,214 Posts

With that vacuum return on those hose, does the end of it actually need to be on the tank for it to work.
Here in VA, we just have the nozzle. And unlike putting it all the way in like in my car, I only put it in about 4" and angle it so it shoots the gas to the side of the tank. When I get close, I then pull out so only a few inches of nozzle is in there and carefully top it off till it almost hits the underside of the short extension in the tank opening. No mater what, I put fuel in slow. That tank over a hot motor would scare me to death doing what you describe.

I never ever use the auto-off. To work, you need at least a few feet of pipe like in a car. And some cars that do not have that length of pipe can cause problems.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-16-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:47 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,344 Likes on 3,188 Posts

The nozzle needs to be IN the tank to work. But shouldn't be used to fill a bike. There isn't enough time for the auto shutoff to react when full in relation to the room remaining in the tank.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:48 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,417 Likes on 1,585 Posts

In areas that have vapor recovery, I pull it back and hold it with my left hand, while fueling with my right. That usually allows me enough room to see when the vapors or liquid splash to the vent holes. If not I fill and check a couple of times, as stated earlier, if in doubt stop filling. There are stations down the road.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:50 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts

I usually pull the collar back on the pump with one hand and squeeze the "trigger" while looking down the filler hole to see where the level is. It's worked every time and I've never splashed anything on the tank.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:55 PM
Cobra1
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,296 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingSkeet
I have owned my limited for almost 2 years now and have not figured out how to fuel up without the tank overflowing over the tank and engine into the floorboards. This only happens with the California vapor recovery hoses. I have tried putting it in every direction, filling fast feeling, and slow and still from time to time the nozzle will not shut off and it overflows really pisses me off. Anyone know how the shutoff works? I'm thinking I'm going to have to get smarter than the Pump!

Thanks in advance
Another reason not to live in CA. Lol

The following 2 users liked this post by Cobra1:
Oogie Wa Wa (03-16-2017), wmprof (03-18-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 06:44 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
Look down the filler hole as you're filling up and stop when it gets close to the top. No need to run the pump full bore either like you would in your car/truck.
That's what I do....never run the pump more than about 1/2 way and keep an eye on the tank level. Once it reaches the top, if you shake the handlebars slightly, the level will drop and you can top it off. if you shake it a few times and top off, you can usually get about another 1/2 gallon in. Top off very slowly, just crack the pump.

But with those stupid CA vent things, you may have to hold the collar up with your other hand. I remember when we had them around here, they sucked!!

Old 03-16-2017, 10:22 PM
02BlueDeuce
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I must be lucky cause I have not had any problem with over filling on my 14 SGS. I don't use the lock I just squeeze the handle at a low rate and when it clicks off I pull the cover up so I can see in the tank and top it off a little extra. You sure you don't have something wrong, it sounds like you're stating that it happens every time makes me wonder.

Quick Reply: Gas tank overflowing