Sponsored by:

rear suspension info

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:38 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Howard Messner can come across as "direct" - he's a no-nonsense, tell it like it is kind of guy. Many don't like it, and walk away. Those who can take it, end up with the best suspension you can put on a HD. Howard's style may take getting used to if your skin is thin. I've been dealing with him for a few years now and have equipped both of my bikes with his modified Ohlins components, and couldn't be happier.

Call the guy, understand he's an old school, former Marine, facts are facts, no sugar coating, no bs kind of guy who admittedly turns off people who need to be coddled by their vendors. But know that what you get will be set up perfectly for you and your bike. And he'll work with you to make sure you're perfect.

As an example, one of the first shocks I got took a little more preload then he liked (saw a photo on the forum) - he immediately called me and told me to send them back to him and he replaced the springs with the next higher rate so I didn't need as much preload. I didn't ask.

THATS caring about your customers. Not "Hi! How are you today? How can I help you "

Edit: I just read the OP's actual question on how to adjust his stock shocks. Sorry my post isn't relavant to that topic...
I am not thinned skinned and I really prefer the straight talk - with that said - When I am going to drop over $700 for a pair of shocks over the phone - I have questions and I expect them to be answered - Marine or not - this is not boot camp - Werks took the time to 'talk' with me. I have said it many times,,,, call those that sell what you want - see who is a good fit for you..
Now had I been in FL and able to meet him in person and install them there - might have been different. for me - my call did not go well.. its my money. I am very happy with my Werks and glad your happy with yours - that all that really matters.
as you said... we are off topic, sorry to the OP but this is ALL learning info