Sponsored by:

J&m half helmet headsets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 01:11 PM
Tanker2
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Default J&m half helmet headsets?

Has anyone had any experience with J&M half helmet headsets. They fit in a pouch on inside of your helmet. Part Num. hs-icd284-hhu-ho. and then you have to buy the cord for Harley. I have had about every brand of half helmet headset they make, but these. Never had J&M. Everyone I have tried has had a problem. Not enough volume, won't work well with vox. Crummy cord or all the above. I don't mind spending the money, hate to get them and find out just like all the others. Also these would end the sore ear problem. So if anyone has these, like to here how they are. Or tell me what you think is good.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:09 PM
JakeUSAF
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Been wanting to know the same thing.

Shaun

Old 02-11-2017, 02:25 PM
82ndJumper
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Why do people need a headset? Who holds a conversation on a motorcycle long enough to require this? I'm not judging, ride what you want and wear what you want I say, but I just don't get this.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:07 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Tanker2 - The particular set you are talking about - the hs-icd284-hhu-ho - in a nice unit Works well with our 2014 Harley Ultra. We have an extra one in the basement, including the Harley cord, with our helmet supplies.

Wife use to use the over the ear set - and they killed her ears. These will eliminate the ear sore issue.

Old 02-11-2017, 05:23 PM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Been using their Elite series in a Vega half helmet for several years. Don't know that they sound any better than anything else. Tend to be a bit tinny. I do like the way they mount in the helmet. They use a slightly smaller speaker in the half helmet headsets than they use in the larger helmets. The mike gets some exhaust noise when using the intercom. Here is the model I'm currently using: http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....IHI787-HHU-XHO

Been curious for several years about the Edset headset but have not been able to compare.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:40 PM
Tanker2
Road Captain

Harley has a new half helmet set out now part number 76000730 looked at them this afternoon. No over the ear loop. Kind of a spring loaded loop holds them to your head. Looks like they would stop the ear pain. But waiting to see if others have tried them. And of course they have the blue tooth set, however won't work with the boom box. That was dumb of them.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:36 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Tanker2 - that set will kill you if you try to wear it under a helmet. Which bike are you riding? Did it come with a headset?

Old 02-12-2017, 06:27 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

I have 3 half helmets that I have com headsets in and I am not trying to say the j m sets are good or bad because I haven't tried one but I take a 3/4 or full set and put them into my half helmets. I realize they say they won't fit but they will and you can buy the speaker socks that fit where your straps come over your ear but I made some out of some black speaker cloth and sewed it to the helmet straps, works good and doesn't hang over my ears and no pain. Just get a little creative.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:17 AM
ADVNTR
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I use a 1/2 helmet.
Creative use of velcro allows the speakers to be held in place over your ears without the use of the neck curtain with the speaker pockets. I have always used the hd supplied headset which is a very reliable set up. However like anything that gets used it does "wear out" at some point, typically with over 20,000 miles on it and in an inconvenient place like 6 hours from the nearest hd dealer. I am lost without the voices in my head so I carry a spare now when touring. Having the esp plan gets you a new set for $50.00 when you do get to a dealer.

Why would you need helmet speakers?
It's nice to have the voices in your head rather than the stereo speakers blasting at you and annoying others. Esp when riding 2-3-4-5 hundred miles in a day.

You can hear the sound just fine thru ear plugs
With a passenger you can talk to each other and you can also use the cb. Imagine that.

Last edited by ADVNTR; 02-12-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:58 AM
Tanker2
Road Captain

Cycle 7447, the ones I'm talking about just came out. They are for half helmets and don't fit around the ears, just up against them. I haven't had them on a ride, but tried them on yesterday and looked like an improvement. And yes I have a behind the head over the ears style from Harley. That what I use now. But the new ones are made different. Is it the new style your talking about and have you tried them?

Quick Reply: J&m half helmet headsets?