Sponsored by:

Ride Planner Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts
Default Ride Planner - Waypoints showing as "destinations" in the directions

I've been creating routes for a trip that I have planned in June. I think I have a pretty good handle of creating the routes with enough waypoints so that the GPS will follow exactly where I want it to go.

One question though, in HD Ride Planner, I noticed that when reading through the directions between my start and ending location, it states that some waypoints are "desinations".

For example, with only a starting location and an ending location, the directions state:

24. 40th St turns slightly left and becomes Bigler Ave 2.6 mi

25. Continue onto US-219 S / Theatre Rd - Destination will be on the right 1.6 mi

26. Head southeast on US-219 S toward Arble St 5.7 mi

27. Take the US-219 S ramp to Johnstown

(The directions then continue on to complete the rest of the route to the ending location)

Why does it show some of the waypoints as a "destination" like in step 25? That section of road is a straight shot. By removing that waypoint though, the system wants to redirect the route an entirely different way and will throw the whole route out of whack. I've tried placing the waypoint in several different spots along that road but it won't remove the "destination will be on the right". I have this occurring in other routes I've made, some I was able to clear, others will not without sending the route way out of the way from where we want to go.

When riding, will the GPS alert that I'm at that "destination" and will I need to restart the route or will it "ping" that I'm there and then resume as I ride past and continue on with the rest of the ride?

Thanks so much if you have an answer!

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 02-12-2017 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Updated title for future reference.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:52 PM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

I've had fairly good luck picking the begin point and the end point and then adding way-points to shape my route. I think every time you hit a destination that trip ends and you have to load the next trip. I don't believe it will automatically load the next destination. I think that's right to my best recollection.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:55 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

It's been a while since I've played with it but I seem to remember you can place the cursor over the destination and right click the mouse. That should open a menu that allows to to change it to a waypoint.

The following users liked this post:
rwven (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 01:00 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by PoCoBob
It's been a while since I've played with it but I seem to remember you can place the cursor over the destination and right click the mouse. That should open a menu that allows to to change it to a waypoint.
Correct. Do that until all you have is a single start and stop destination.

The following users liked this post:
rwven (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 01:28 PM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by PoCoBob

Ah yes, I think that's right.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:08 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member

Guys, I have done that already. I put in the original post that I only have a single starting location and ending location (now underlined) with only waypoints in between. No other locations are plotted. Thats why I'm curious as to why the ride planner is stating in the directions, as I'd be passing a waypoint, that the "destination" is on the right/left even though there is no destination or location set there.

Its also making me curious as to what it will do when riding. Will it try to end the trip halfway through or just continue on since there is only one starting location and one ending location (which is much further away from where I'd be in step 25 above).

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 02-10-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:14 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

I only have one other idea, right click the waypoint and select zoom in. That will show you exactly where the waypoint wants to take you. If you use the name of a small town as a waypoint it always puts it right in the centre of that town. Lots of times I've had it tell me to exit the highway just because of where it put the waypoint even though I had no intention of stopping in that town at all. You can drag the waypoint back out to the highway so when you cross that spot it just moves on to the next waypoint.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member

^ PoCoBob, I manually placed all of the waypoints and I've zoomed in on all of them to be sure that they are right on the road that I'm traveling. The red path line and the waypoints are all directly on the road, not as if the waypoint dot is placed off the road on a house or anything.

I wonder if this is some sort of glitch and when riding it'll act as if I missed a waypoint even though it's placed right where it should be. If that's the case, I know I can go into the menu and skip to the next waypoint but that's why I asked here. To see if anyone knew what it would do.

Maybe someone can check routes that they've made and ridden to see if this shows up in the "directions" tab under their starting location and let us know what it does.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 02-10-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:06 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member

Anyone that's pretty experienced with this want me to email them a route and they can check it out for themselves to see what I'm talking about??

No matter how I move the waypoints around, or add or delete one, the step by step directions continue to show some steps of the route as "destination will be on the right". I have successfully moved some waypoints to get this instruction to go away, but for the most part, there's some that simply won't change.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 02-11-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member

Here's a pic showing exactly what I'm talking about. As you can see, the arrows show the faded red dot and the white dot that show up when you create a waypoint. But, if you then look over to the detailed directions, it shows in step 25 that at the same time I'd be passing the waypoint, it's saying that the "destination is on the right", even though the waypoint is placed directly on the road, right on the centerline.

It happens again in step 28 and a couple of more times past that even though all waypoints are placed directly on the road that they need to be on.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 02-11-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Ride Planner Question