Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Planner Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 12:14 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

I just did a quick route and placed a waypoint in a small town. You can see point 17 I get the same thing, destination on the right, even though it's not the final destination. This is only a guess but I'm assuming the planner assumes a waypoint is somewhere you plan on stopping. ie: We're going to Grama's but we're stopping at the Country Kitchen for lunch.

Attached Thumbnails Ride Planner Question-waypoint.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Cygnusx51 (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 12:21 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I see the same thing happens at step 19 on your route when you're on the highway.

I have the same thing on mine in step 28. That's a section of 4 lane divided highway.

Maybe it's just a glitch in the directions and it will continue on just like it would for a normal waypoint. I have no clue, that's what I was hoping to find out with this thread. I'm hoping someone can check their saved rides that they've ridden with no issues just to see if this phantom "destination" thing shows up in the detailed directions. If it does and it has never been an issue while riding that route, then all is good and I know I can ignore it when I see it.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 02-11-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:16 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Cygnusx51 - sorry, I missed your post and notification.

My thought is you may have really recorded this as a location. Can we try this. Send the file to me and let me review it on my ride planner. It would be just like sharing a route with me.

I will then open and look at all of the points and run a simulation. When I do these things, my bike takes me past the waypoint and then continues. The only time I have an issue if it, my waypoint is not on the road and the bike takes me back there. So, what I do is - when approaching the waypoint, I just tell the GPS to skip it and keep going.

cycle7447@aol.com

Old 02-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member

I logged into ride planner and sent you the link to view that ride. If you need the actual .gpx file, I can send it in the morning (only have my phone at the moment)

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 02-11-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:08 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,197 Posts

I can view - but need the actual gpx so I can make sure I see your waypoints.

From the view, it looks like you have a destination off of 219

Old 02-11-2017, 06:44 PM
Teal
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

When riding, will the GPS alert that I'm at that "destination" and will I need to restart the route or will it "ping" that I'm there and then resume as I ride past and continue on with the rest of the ride?
I use the ride planner quite frequently and I am quite sure that it's a non issue as it will continue on without having to restart. On the maps I create and run it is normal to hear "your destination is ahead on the right" (or left) as you follow the planned route. The destination in this case is reference to a way point only. Not sure why it does this other than to let you know that you are reaching your planned way points.

Cygnusx51 (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 06:53 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member

Teal, thanks as that's what I am hoping to hear happens. I read tons of threads about the Ride Planner and how finicky it can be with the waypoints and such as you're riding. I was pretty meticulous on creating the routes that I have done so far, so I did everything in my power to make sure that the waypoints were exactly on the road where they should be.

After going through some of the routes and checking the detailed instructions, that's when I noticed that in some steps, it's saying that a destination is on the right or left when there is no destination or location, just a simple waypoint.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:20 PM
FilthyMike
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Your GPS will let you know that you're approaching a waypoint by "counting down" the distance. If you know you have a right turn coming up in a few miles but the GPS shows "1600 feet to destination" and no turn, you know it's talking about a waypoint. You can use waypoints near gas stations, restaurants and whatever to give you a heads up that you're approaching them.
When it's all said and done, you'll drive right through waypoints and continue on to your actual destination. I wouldn't mind if the GPS stopped letting me know that a waypoint was coming up, but I don't see a way to disable it.

Cygnusx51 (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 09:02 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks FilthyMike, that gives me a heads up of what to expect then. At least when it pops up on the gps, and you know it's not an actual stop, it can be skipped if needed or just ridden past without issue.

Old 02-12-2017, 06:50 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
Here's a pic showing exactly what I'm talking about. As you can see, the arrows show the faded red dot and the white dot that show up when you create a waypoint. But, if you then look over to the detailed directions, it shows in step 25 that at the same time I'd be passing the waypoint, it's saying that the "destination is on the right", even though the waypoint is placed directly on the road, right on the centerline.

It happens again in step 28 and a couple of more times past that even though all waypoints are placed directly on the road that they need to be on.
My rides do the same thing, although I had never noticed it before.

One showing the details for a Black Hills ride last year.

I never really looked at the details before, but as long as you only have a Starting Location and Ending Location (with good way points in between), you will be good.
The GPS followed this ride exactly as planned as on continuous ride.

Here is the same ride without showing the details, just the overall starting and ending location

Cygnusx51 (02-12-2017)

Quick Reply: Ride Planner Question