Sponsored by:

Seat question for those with seats that push you back

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 05:37 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Seat question for those with seats that push you back

Just picked up a 17 RGU, I am a tall guy 6'7" so will be doing some mods to make things fit better, one of those is the seat. I have several seat options that will push me back 1.5-2 inches and I know that will make a difference for me. My question is for those that ride 2 up and have gone with a seat that put the rider further back what does that do to the space in the passenger compartment. My wife tells me she has plenty of room now and feels that if I come back 1-2" she will still be fine so I may be over thinking this. Just want to hear from others that have gone with 2 up seats pushing the rider back if their passenger felt it cut into space on the passenger seat

Old 01-29-2017, 06:04 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Received 9,576 Likes on 3,243 Posts

Originally Posted by Mxdad
Just picked up a 17 RGU, I am a tall guy 6'7" so will be doing some mods to make things fit better, one of those is the seat. I have several seat options that will push me back 1.5-2 inches and I know that will make a difference for me. My question is for those that ride 2 up and have gone with a seat that put the rider further back what does that do to the space in the passenger compartment. My wife tells me she has plenty of room now and feels that if I come back 1-2" she will still be fine so I may be over thinking this. Just want to hear from others that have gone with 2 up seats pushing the rider back if their passenger felt it cut into space on the passenger seat
I have a Limited so have a tour pack as well. I've gotten 2 different 2up seats that helped me without taking away too much room for my wife.

1st one was a Hammock seat. However not the seat made for the 14 and newer models. I purchased the Hammock for a 13 model. This style gives a little more rider legroom than the newer models. We both like that seat.

2nd one was a HD Tallboy seat. It gives me a little more legroom than the Hammock. It doesn't seem to take that much more from the passenger. It is however a narrower back seat and looks a little funny compared to the tourpack width.

Here's a pic of the Tallboy

Last edited by Dsm Limited; 01-29-2017 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:07 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 865 Likes on 542 Posts

I always recommend C&C Seats.

I have both the Solo and SportsTouring w/ riders back rest.

(Standard models push you back 1 1/2" & down 1".)

OR go to Dealership and test ride the demo seats. Maybe a Tallboy.

YB

The following users liked this post:
Teal (01-30-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 07:44 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Kuryakyn makes a tour pak relocation kit. I put this on my 14 limited not because I am tall but mama has a bad back, so I put the kit on because I have taken an air hawk and a HD air seat pad and attached them together sop she sits on one and has the other for her back.I moved the TP back almost 3" and made a filler pad for the rear of the seat between the seat and tp. Works for us. I have the 14 and up Hammock seat.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:26 AM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I also am running the pre 14 Hammock seat. It was removed from my 2009 Road King when I purchased the 2016 FLTRU. The wife actually liked the seating position of the Hammock seat better. The stock seat sat her much higher behind me to the point that she was almost looking over my head. This put her eye level into the wind stream coming off the windshield. With the hammock she is below the wind flow.

She is also happy room wise even with the backrest installed. one note, she is 5'9" and a 135 pounds. I'm 6'0" 195 pounds.

The only thing I found negative about the seat is I don't think it works well with the adjustable back rest. The back rest mount has to be severely modified to match the further back position of the seat but that is not the problem I got it where it needs to be. But, the the suspension in the seat allows you to float up and down over minor road imperfections but the back rest doesn't, It stay stationary. So the backrest is constantly shift location up and down your back.

On a positive note I really never felt the need for the backrest with this seat.

The other item I added was the Kuryakyn 1 + 1 Floor board re locators. These move the floor boards out 1 inch and forward 1 inch. This gets rid of the warping the legs around the fuel tank feeling and give you a little more forward feel.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:26 PM
No U Glider
Road Warrior
Received 185 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm 6'5" and went with the Le Pera Maverick Daddy Long Legs. Didn't get a driver backrest, but I'm happy with the support from the bucket. The OL is happy with the passenger seat as well. It lets you move back a couple inches and down about an inch. I don't have a Tourpack, but run an HD passenger backrest. Also suggest the Tall Boy floor board relocators, kinda pricey at $200 but did a lot for comfort and my fit. Maverick isn't in my sig.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:15 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Mustang heated seat here. Moves you back something like 1.75 inches. Wife didn't even notice. Haha

Old 01-30-2017, 01:29 AM
Onedef1
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

My girl is just fine with the tall boy seat. My only gripe is that my *** is not quite fat enough for my end.. it has a bit too much room for me but it does help with the long legs. Much more comfortable. The lady has no complaints.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:19 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Texas Rapier
I also am running the pre 14 Hammock seat. It was removed from my 2009 Road King when I purchased the 2016 FLTRU. The wife actually liked the seating position of the Hammock seat better. The stock seat sat her much higher behind me to the point that she was almost looking over my head. This put her eye level into the wind stream coming off the windshield. With the hammock she is below the wind flow.

She is also happy room wise even with the backrest installed. one note, she is 5'9" and a 135 pounds. I'm 6'0" 195 pounds.

The only thing I found negative about the seat is I don't think it works well with the adjustable back rest. The back rest mount has to be severely modified to match the further back position of the seat but that is not the problem I got it where it needs to be. But, the the suspension in the seat allows you to float up and down over minor road imperfections but the back rest doesn't, It stay stationary. So the backrest is constantly shift location up and down your back.

On a positive note I really never felt the need for the backrest with this seat.

The other item I added was the Kuryakyn 1 + 1 Floor board re locators. These move the floor boards out 1 inch and forward 1 inch. This gets rid of the warping the legs around the fuel tank feeling and give you a little more forward feel.
I was not familiar with the Kury 1+1 and was looking at the Tall Boys relocator that moves the floorboards 2" I know with those you have to trim the lowers, was that required with the Kury 1+1 or do they work with no mod to the lower

Old 01-30-2017, 05:21 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
Mustang heated seat here. Moves you back something like 1.75 inches. Wife didn't even notice. Haha
The Mustang that moves you back 1.75 non heated version is at the top of my list. I have ran Mustang seats for the past 15 years and both me and the wife have loved them. I will say that so far the stock seat has been surprisingly comfortable for both of us and the only reason I am looking at a change is to move myself back 1.5"+

Quick Reply: Seat question for those with seats that push you back