Sponsored by:

Removing outer fairing

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017 | 12:15 PM
benningtonr
|
Cruiser
Default Removing outer fairing

I am going to attempt to install Fairing mount mirrors and an XM module in my '14 limited. I have had the outter faring off of my '08 Street Glide many times for various upgrades, but I was told the rushmore outter faring is very different. Any truth to that, and if someone has the instruction on proper removal that would be great.

Thank You

Old 01-12-2017 | 12:40 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Outer fairing comes off really easy.

If you did your '08, you won't have any problem with the new bike.

Be sure and put a blanket on the top of front fender.
Remove the 3 bolts holding the windshield on and remove.
Remove the 4 bolts (2 on each side) holding the outer fairing to the inner.
Be sure and have a good grip when taking out the last bolt, so it doesn't fall down.

Pull the top back a little, so you can reach in and unplug the headlight.

Note:
You "might" have to turn the spotlights a little to clear.
I also put some good heavy socks over the spotlight to prevent scratching them or the fairing.

Old 01-12-2017 | 01:39 PM
Covert Olds
Road Captain

^^^What he said but l always leave the top outer screw in just a bit till the very end just for insurance. Once everything else is removed, hold on to the fairing, remove that last fastener, tip the fairing outward and disconnect headlight then lift up with the fairing and remove.

Old 01-12-2017 | 01:53 PM
rwven
Road Master

I take the driving/passing lights completely off. It's just 2 bolts per unit. Saves worrying about scuffing the paint.

Old 01-12-2017 | 03:00 PM
benningtonr
|
Cruiser

Awesome fellers, just what I wanted to hear. Now comes the nerve racking task of drilling into the inner fairing and doing it right the first time. Any tips on installing fairing mirrors would be helpful if you have any, thanks guys.

Old 01-12-2017 | 03:14 PM
Teal
Cruiser

Which mirrors are you planning on using?
The stock street glide mirrors install very easily as per the instruction sheet that is included. Once you have the outer fairing off, you will see the hole locate marks embossed into the inner fairing. If by chance you are planning to install the billet style mirrors, be advised that the instructions and the parts included don't quite jive...
They fit just fine, but there is a mislabled part included that will leave you scratching your head.

Old 01-12-2017 | 03:16 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior

No need to remove the spots. A wood hole saw works great.

Old 01-12-2017 | 05:55 PM
rv7garage
Road Master

If you want extra protection for that front fender, cram a big pillow in between the forks

The following users liked this post:
benningtonr (01-17-2017)
Old 01-14-2017 | 01:55 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master

You can loosen the spot light nuts but leave them a turn or so on the studs if you need to. The spots will move up at an inch away if you need the room. +1 on the middle bolt, socks and pillow (I use a moving blanket.)

One at a time, clean the Loctite off of the spot light studs and nuts and reapply some blue before reassembling.

benningtonr (01-17-2017)
Old 01-14-2017 | 07:55 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Supporter

Originally Posted by benningtonr
Awesome fellers, just what I wanted to hear. Now comes the nerve racking task of drilling into the inner fairing and doing it right the first time. Any tips on installing fairing mirrors would be helpful if you have any, thanks guys.

Awww, if you mess up the first holes, Lowes has plenty of caulking. Rushmores I like removing better. Those lower two screws on the inner fairing side were buggers. Always dropping the screws into somewhere. Would actually take the screws onto the driver to keep them in place til they started to thread

benningtonr (01-17-2017)

Quick Reply: Removing outer fairing