Sponsored by:

Ride Planner and Way Points not Transferring

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 12:33 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Ride Planner and Way Points not Transferring

I am doing something wrong but can't seem to figure out what. I can make a route in Ride Planner with no problem. I save it then follow the instructions to save it and export to flash drive. Put it in bike the nav sees it and imports it. But when go for ride it doesn't use the way points. Only goes from the starting point to destination. What am I doing wrong

Old 01-09-2017, 03:49 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,197 Posts

The NAV tends to follow the most direct route - even if you include waypoints.

I've discovered that if I want the nav to follow my route, I either include more waypoints and/or change the waypoints to destinations and break it up that way

By the way, I see you are in Joplin, MO - I'll spend the night there later this year on my way from Michigan to Texas. Maybe we can stay in touch and I can stop by an buy you a Pepsi the night I am there.

Last edited by cycle7447; 01-09-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:03 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
The NAV tends to follow the most direct route - even if you include waypoints.

I've discovered that if I want the nav to follow my route, I either include more waypoints and/or change the waypoints to destinations and break it up that way

By the way, I see you are in Joplin, MO - I'll spend the night there later this year on my way from Michigan to Texas. Maybe we can stay in touch and I can stop by an buy you a Pepsi the night I am there.
Agree, you have to add enough way points to force the nav to use your route.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:16 PM
A206Driver
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Take a look at the tutorial that finalshot put together -

Old 01-10-2017, 08:56 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

If all you have are 'stops' on the left side of the ride planner, then you don't have waypoints. You can convert all of the stops to waypoints, except of course the start and the last stop. On the map, just right click on a stop and select convert to waypoint.

The following users liked this post:
BigTinVA (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:08 AM
valpal
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As said above. Set plenty waypoints. The road that is shown needs to be exactly the one that you want to take. If it goes via another town or whatever: add another waypoint to force it. And when doing so, make sure you zoom in far enough to set them to the correct side of the road (especially with those that have centre dividers). And in the NAV itself leave route options to "fastest" and only set those exclusions that you really want to have (no gravel roads, for instance). Let the rideplanner "plan" be the dictating element.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by valpal
As said above. Set plenty waypoints. The road that is shown needs to be exactly the one that you want to take. If it goes via another town or whatever: add another waypoint to force it. And when doing so, make sure you zoom in far enough to set them to the correct side of the road (especially with those that have centre dividers). And in the NAV itself leave route options to "fastest" and only set those exclusions that you really want to have (no gravel roads, for instance). Let the rideplanner "plan" be the dictating element.
So just to be clear, after doing all of this, and getting your waypoints set exactly on the route you want to take, the gps will not try to deviate from that correct? Also, is there a way to follow the same route in reverse? Say to follow the same way back home from a long trip? (Without having to create a whole separate trip in the ride planner)

I haven't played with loading any trips yet but will have to in the future. Just want to get some questions squared away beforehand.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 01-10-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:58 PM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
.... Also, is there a way to follow the same route in reverse? Say to follow the same way back home from a long trip? (Without having to create a whole separate trip in the ride planner)

I'd never thought of the reversal idea, but here's how I'd try that with TYRE (free routing application that I use to create routes) - it might help with the application you use, too.

TYRE shows a list of waypoints when you are plotting a route ........ I would simply drag/drop waypoints WITHIN the list, to re-arrange their sequence, and then it should route accordingly.

I've never tried this, and not sure how well the technique applies to your application, but might inspire an approach you can use.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:11 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,197 Posts

There is a round trip option.....

ROUND TRIP

When the round trip function is enabled, the system calculatesa return route to the original position of the vehicle. The roundtrip feature can only be enabled before a route is activated.

1.With no route active, access the route calculation settings.a.From setup menu: Select Home > Navigation Setup> Route Calculation.b.During route calculation: Select option button.Select Route Calculation.

2.Check the Round Trip checkbox. When a new route is created, the map will include a return route back to the original location of the vehicle

Old 01-10-2017, 06:09 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

^ ok cool. I wonder if that will use the waypoints that are created to take you back the exact same way or if it will just calculate a route to get back to the original starting point.

I'll have to sit down and just play around and see what happens so I can get familiar with the program and stuff before I need to actually use it.

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Ride Planner and Way Points not Transferring