Sponsored by:

More of a Helmet question than a bike question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 03:27 PM
DonCMcC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More of a Helmet question than a bike question

So got a set is Sena S20s from santa so now I'm looking to update/upgrade our helmets to a full face or modular helmet.

Any suggestions?

I'm looking for comfort, something not so bulky and light weight.

Thanks
Don

Old 01-05-2017, 06:01 PM
SNDSLGR
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

1st thing is first, find the brand that fits you right. You can get all kinds of opinions about good helmets and many are... but that wont matter if said companies helmets do not fit your head shape.

Really no way to get around trying on helmets at a shop somewhere to get the right fit. For example, Arai helmets are high quality but do not fit me at all, even the models that are described in a way that should fit me.

Also consider the intended use of a helmet model. Im a Shoei guy, they fit my head well. I had a RF1100 that I have loved for years and once I bought a Harley i didnt enjoy wearing it any longer, the RF series is intended for sport riding, leaned over the bars... kind of forhead first into the wind if that makes sense. When i wore that RF setting up right on my Ultra it buffered oddly and was noisy, and this is a helmet I have used for 60k miles on a sport-touring bike and loved it.

Wife and I found the Shoei Qwest was made for up right riding positions and fit our Sena's very nicely. If Shoei fits your head right give them a try.

Myself, i cannot stand the fit and extra weight of modular helmets but all major manufactures have one it seems. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:24 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

SNDSLGR 1st comment is spot on.. You have to shop for fitment before anything else regardless of what you think you want. For me, I wear the Shoei neotec (modular) and the additional weight bothered me at first but after multiple rides and doing some neck exercises and stretches, all good now. I wear glasses so the modular works best for me.

Old 01-05-2017, 06:24 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts
Old 01-05-2017, 06:29 PM
coach127
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I just bought the Shoei RF 1200. I went to Cycle Center where they had 10 different brands and tried on until I found something that fit the way I wanted and functioned the way I need a full face to function.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:35 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by DonCMcC
So got a set is Sena S20s from santa so now I'm looking to update/upgrade our helmets to a full face or modular helmet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Don
From what you said in the OP "looking to update/upgrade our helmets to a full face or modular helmet" I assume you are riding in 1/2 or 3/4 now. I just recently made the transition from open face to a modular and could not be happier. I settled on the new Nolan 104-Absolute and could not be happier. I thought about full face and tried a few but kept coming back to the modular. I liked the fact that I have the option of lifting the chin bar if want in hot weather in town going from stop light to stop light. One of my fears of going full face or modular after years of open face was the fear of feeling too enclosed or having less peripheral vision. The Nolan has one of the widest eye ports out there I I honestly feel my peripheral vision is better in it than my prior 3/4. I never noticed any issues of feeling to enclosed, so all in all I am happy with the move to an enclosed helmet. For me the Nolan is extremely comfortable and I noticed no difference in weight coming from a 3/4

I did a review here a couple months ago on the Nolan if you are interested
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-absolute.html

However as others have said each helmet manufacture more or less caters to a specific head shape, round, oval etc... So just because the Nolan is a perfect fit for my head or a Shoei fits the next guy does not mean it will fit your head shape. Your best bet is to try them on and to go with one that works with your head shape. One thing I have found over many years is that often a correct size helmet may feel fine in the store wearing it a few minutes, however if it is the incorrect shape for your head you will end up with pressure points after an hour or so wearing it and not be happy.

I would suggest taking a look at some of the video reviews at Revzilla IMHO they do a great job of reviewing helmets and have some really good info

The one thing I would suggest no matter what full or modular you go with is to make sure it has a Pinlock ready shield and install a pinlock lens. This is my first helmet with a pinlock system and I will never own one without it. With the pinlock lens the helmet is 100% fog free at all times

Old 01-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Lucky1958
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DonCMcC

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Don
Shoei quest if your head is right for it. Light,quite,only about 300.00 online,safe

Old 01-06-2017, 11:57 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 193 Likes on 170 Posts

Definetly try on, I have a harley helmet, with the slide up and down visor, great in the rain, but tryng on the same helmet in store , one fit great, other not so much, same size, good luck

Old 01-06-2017, 01:44 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 341 Likes on 177 Posts

Shoei Neotech here. Love it!!

Old 01-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Dawgies
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I've got a Biltwell Gringo S with a SENA SMH5-FM. Love it!

Quick Reply: More of a Helmet question than a bike question