Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM Radio w New Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017 | 10:07 PM
cribby
5th Gear
Default xm installation

Hey guys, I just bought the module and the radio acknowledges it but doesn't give me the screen with phone number. what am I doing wrong? Instructions says to remove plastic pin guard. On the top part of the module it looked like there was a pin guard, but tried to gingerly remove and was unsuccessful so I left it, slid it in and seemed like it went in okay. screws went in with no issue. Do I need to pull it back out and remove the top black deal? thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 04-11-2017 | 06:40 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by cribby
Hey guys, I just bought the module and the radio acknowledges it but doesn't give me the screen with phone number. what am I doing wrong? Instructions says to remove plastic pin guard. On the top part of the module it looked like there was a pin guard, but tried to gingerly remove and was unsuccessful so I left it, slid it in and seemed like it went in okay. screws went in with no issue. Do I need to pull it back out and remove the top black deal? thanks in advance for any assistance.
I believe what the instructions mean by plastic pin guard is the anti static bag that the module is packaged in. Sounds like you have it installed correctly. Just call XM and ask them to activate the radio and give you the free 90 day trial subscription which includes traffic and weather. The receiver ID # is in with the XM info on the screen.

Old 04-11-2017 | 06:53 PM
cycle7447
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Additional info - when you activate it, I think you will only get 2 months - and no traffic and weather.

You can add those to the service for a small fee.

Old 04-11-2017 | 07:46 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Additional info - when you activate it, I think you will only get 2 months - and no traffic and weather.

You can add those to the service for a small fee.
Unless they recently changed it, you always got 3 months full service including traffic and weather. I got that last year when I installed my XM module...

Old 04-11-2017 | 08:07 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain
Veteran: Army

cribby: You should be stuck on Channel 1: the "Preview" channel (which plays pretty much only Top-40 stuff and sales pitches for the service - if you want to sample Rock or Country music, you'll be out of luck!)

Cycle7447 is mistaken, or else his Radio ID got a different option for some reason, but the 2-month claim isn't the case. You'll need to take note of your Radio ID (tune to Channel 0 to get it; I merely took the attached pic of my screen) then get on your PC and click HERE to get to the SiriusXM New Radio Information page. I entered my radio ID and I get to the page that shows my radio is eligible for a three month trial of both SiriusXM All Access Complimentary Trial AND SiriusXM Travel LinkŪ + SiriusXM Traffic Complimentary Trial. When I checked this page tonight (4/11/17), my trial dates would end 7/11/17.

Since I can't ride much between now and mid-May due to being TDY a lot, there's no point in activating the trial yet. I'll activate mine in mid-May, and I expect the trial period will be the same. I've gotten the above result each time I've checked that "new radio" site at SiriusXM.com. Note, I ordered the module and installed it in February. I'm eligible for the same trial period and services each time I've gone to check. The only change is the end date of the trials depending on when I go to that site.

Old 04-11-2017 | 09:46 PM
cribby
5th Gear

thanks for the help. vhmike73, I don't get the same screen as you, and I can't get to channel 1. I'm stuck on channel zero and it only shows my radio ID. I don't have what your pic is displaying. I've got 3 bars, so it seems to pick up reception. I am going on vacation at the end of the month, so don't want to activate until May, like yourself. Just wanted to get it to that point. I'll go onto Sirius website to check that out.

Old 04-11-2017 | 10:09 PM
cribby
5th Gear

Well, XM says they have found my radio, so that is a plus. Maybe when activated everything will work (fingers crossed).

Old 04-11-2017 | 11:16 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain
Veteran: Army

cribby:

I know on MY instruction sheet that came with the kit, the line that says "remove plastic pin guard from XM module", the first part of the text in paragraph 3., is blacked out (with a Sharpie!)! I know there was no pin guard on my module. Regardless- the module would NOT have physically been able to be installed if there was a guard in place and you didn't remove it.

As for the screen I took the pic of, I honestly don't recall exactly what menu I went into to locate the subscription info page, but here's what the Boom! Box Owner's Manual has to say about checking your sub status (hardcopy page 123, or digital page 141) :
CHECK SUBSCRIPTION STATUS
1. Select Home > Setup > SiriusXM Setup.
2. Select Subscription.
3. Radio subscription: See Figure 89. Select Radio. The
Radio Services subscription status is displayed with an
ESN number and SiriusXM phone number for assistance
or activation.
Specialty services: See Figure 90. Select Specialty
Services.The subscription status for each service (traffic,
fuel, weather and forecast services) is displayed with an
ESN number and SiriusXM phone number for assistance
or activation.
I can't say why you're not getting the preview channel as your default channel when you go into the SiriusXM mode; it should be what you see/hear when you go into the SiriusXM mode until you subscribe.

Old 04-12-2017 | 04:59 AM
cycle7447
|
Seasoned HDF Member

It might be that I did something wrong and while I am use to a three month subscription when I put XM on my cars and xm on my 2011 bike, I was definitely told it was only 2 month on the new bike.

When I inquired as to why it was only 2 months, I was told that had the bike included the XM when originally purchased (like the CVO model) the trial would have been 3 months. I disagreed saying that my 2011 had the Garmin 665 that was added - but they had an answer for that in that Gamin supported the 3 months where as Harley did not.

Here is a partial copy and pasted from my XM account. I put the service on March 5th as I was getting ready to go to Florida. I had to pay $3.98 or so for the added feature for the 2 month period

ESN/Radio ID: XXXXXX (Create Nickname)

Audio:
Complimentary 2-Month Trial – SiriusXM All Access
Username: namename (Update Username/Password)
Trial Ends: 05/06/2017

Infotainment:
SiriusXM Travel LinkŪ
Monthly Plan
End Date: 05/06/2017

Old 04-12-2017 | 07:22 AM
cycle7447
|
Seasoned HDF Member

IUOBRob and VHMike73 - thanks to both of you.

I called XM this morning to ask why I was only given 2 months and also why I had to pay for the weather service. They checked again and said my radio ID was only 2 months.

I then referred them to the Sirus XM site with Harley that showed all Boom Box XM get 3 free months plus all additional is included. Was finally told they would update my file and extend to a 3 month subscription.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: XM Radio w New Antenna