Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM Radio w New Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017 | 08:12 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Baeseman1 - thanks, I remember reading your thread. I am hopeful that my reception will be clear. Unfortunately, I will not know all of the details until the upcoming riding season.

As I mentioned, I was impressed in that I was able to get a signal in my garage - plus, when I loved outside, I had all 4 bars completely full. Still, the test will be in taking a bike ride.

I'll keep your recommendations in mine - as see what happens. Thanks for your help.
For me, the decision to change to a different antenna was simple. The XM Kit I bought was working fine for a while, then I started having antenna issues. Not knowing if I had the newer antenna or not, and the price of the 'updated' antenna, I opted to go with something completely different. As in - non-HD

Hopefully your antenna does what it's supposed to do and you don't have to re-visit and update this thread.

Old 01-06-2017 | 01:07 AM
Stick_FSMC
Tourer

Originally Posted by Kawickrice
That is good to know. I removed my older HK module with lifetime subscription when i traded my old bike in thinking it would work on the Rushmore and it wont. I was looking to buy the Rushmore module this spring. Really sucks because i miss XM radio and have to buy something twice when i have one with lifetime listening.
Since the old XM module (76165-06 or 76165-06A) doesn't work in your new Rushmore, have you figured out what you're going to do with it? I would be interested in buying it if the price is right.

Old 01-07-2017 | 09:04 AM
Harleyrlb
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
The first few months I had my XM activated, I thought the reception was pretty decent. Then the antenna wouldn't read at all and it went from full signal - to "No Antenna" - back to full signal. It wasn't until I swapped to the Micro Dot antenna that I realized how much better this antenna is compared to the 'old' antenna.

My thread here...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...m-antenna.html
Wonder if anyone has gone from the Micro Dot to the "new" antenna? If so how is the reception on the new antenna compared to the Micro Dot?

Old 01-07-2017 | 11:27 PM
slowrollin
Road Master

Originally Posted by cycle7447
There has been some discussion about the XM radio and reception for the Rushmore bikes. Like others, I had some concerns so I did not get it.

Recently, others mentioned that there was an updated XM antenna plus Harley had recommended a new location for the antenna. So, with that in mind, I decided to purchase the module.

I verified that the kit I purchased was the new version with the new antenna and had it installed today. When done, I turned the bike on - it recognized the radio and my reception (on channel 1) was as clear as a bell. I also looked at the reception graph and it was four bars.

I could only hear channel one because I will not activate the radio until some time in April - riding season here in Michigan.

So, if moving to XM, I might suggest that you make sure you get the updated antenna. If you already have one, I understand you can buy the new antenna separately
Bought mine in 2015 when I bought the bike. I've assuming its not the new unit, but I've never had any issues with reception or clarity. I've been really happy with it.

Old 01-08-2017 | 04:47 AM
cycle7447
|
Seasoned HDF Member

sowrollin - glad to hear all is working well for you.

Curious - does your subscription include the weather overlay? How well does that work for you? Can you send me a screen shot of the overlay

Old 01-08-2017 | 08:12 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by JMC22
Nice - but as others have mentioned the monthly fee is a bit steep, I have XM in my Jeep GC and love it but plan to drop it when the subscription expires - I think I'll just stick with my IPOD for now on my bike...
I cancel the XM in my cars/trucks as soon as free trail is over. Don't spend much time in them, my 14 car has 12,200 miles on it. The 15 CVO I traded for my 17 CVO had 43800 on it at trade time. My 17 has 7200 miles on it. So I keep XM on my bike.

cycle7447,

The weather overlay is ok. You have to go to the weather screen and zoom in a lot. You get to it from your regular Nav screen pretty easy. It has helped me miss rain more than once. Can't post a screen shot as I am 150 miles off shore at work for 12 more days.

I also move the xm antenna out from inside the fairing to improve reception.

Last edited by FLSTFI Dave; 01-08-2017 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-08-2017 | 07:44 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Stick_FSMC
Since the old XM module (76165-06 or 76165-06A) doesn't work in your new Rushmore, have you figured out what you're going to do with it? I would be interested in buying it if the price is right.
Not to hijack this thread, but I have the XM module/antenna 76404-06 that works on 2006-2013 models just sitting in my shed. I know it needs the Non-Ultra Overlay Harness (I BELIEVE I have that as well, but I wired in the Iron Cross Ipod adapter into the harness) in order to interface with an FLHX...not sure what you're riding. I attached the Instruction Sheet for my module; read it over and see if you'll be able to use it.

If it's something you can use, make me an offer (BTW: I can't PM you).

Attached Files
Old 01-08-2017 | 08:09 PM
cycle7447
|
Seasoned HDF Member

No worries - I hope someone can use it - and you can sell it

Old 01-08-2017 | 08:42 PM
ringer1969
Road Captain

I JUST ordered the XM add on myself yesterday , so is it a separate antenna from the radio ? or does it replace the radio one ? thanks

Old 01-08-2017 | 09:18 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member

It's a separate antenna. Comes with a short wire and HD says to mount it under the fairing.
A number of guys, myself included, mounted it next to the fairing/dash vent seeking the best signal as possible.

*** Stock Internet Photo - not mine ***

Quick Reply: XM Radio w New Antenna