Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stealer says $1k For Handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016 | 11:21 PM
slowrollin
|
Road Master
Default Stealer says $1k For Handlebars?

Went to the shop today to get the Batwing Tallboy bars. Bars were only $159, but after the parts like new brake and clutch lines, extended wiring for switches and 7 hours of labor at $98/hour, the bill was going to be around $1k. WTH? It takes that long to do handlebars?

Old 12-29-2016 | 12:13 AM
Trixter
Advanced

I was told the same thing. If you have minimal mechanical skill you can do this yourself in about six hours. No need for longer hoses the wire extensions are available from Namz. I internally wired my 12" Yaffe bars and had it back running in 5 hours.

The following users liked this post:
slowrollin (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016 | 02:01 AM
Onedef1
Road Captain

You don't need new brake and clutch hoses. And the extensions are plug-in ready and easily available as mentioned above, from NAMZ. It's easier to do yourself than you think, 6 hours is about right, and that's if you're going slow and super cautious just because it's the first time.. no big deal at all.

Old 12-29-2016 | 03:51 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Here is my suggestion.

Folks here say it may take them 6 or so hours. Given that, it might appear that the dealer is not too far off with his 7 hours of work.

You are in New Jersey. The weather is probably like my weather here in Michigan. This means, the dealer is probably not too busy.

I am planning on taking my bike is to have the XM radio installed today. Yep, suppose to be easy - but, I simply don't work on my bike. Dealer says the install time is about an hour or folks that have done it said, that is probably about right.

With that in mind, I asked the "dealer" if there was any chance of a small discount - and they said yes. All started with 20% off of the XM.

My point - start referring to our "dealers" as such - not as stealers. You may get some additional consideration - especially during this time of the year.

The following 3 users liked this post by cycle7447:
ringer1969 (12-29-2016), Rydefree (01-01-2017), slowrollin (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016 | 04:10 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Here is my suggestion.

Folks here say it may take them 6 or so hours. Given that, it might appear that the dealer is not too far off with his 7 hours of work.

You are in New Jersey. The weather is probably like my weather here in Michigan. This means, the dealer is probably not too busy.

I am planning on taking my bike is to have the XM radio installed today. Yep, suppose to be easy - but, I simply don't work on my bike. Dealer says the install time is about an hour or folks that have done it said, that is probably about right.

With that in mind, I asked the "dealer" if there was any chance of a small discount - and they said yes. All started with 20% off of the XM.

My point - start referring to our "dealers" as such - not as stealers. You may get some additional consideration - especially during this time of the year.
My bike was getting other work done and I planned on doing my bars myself. Told the mechanic I had them and I want them on asap but I had an issue with the labor as I know I can do them in 2 hours. I did my street glide in 3 and a half. This is a RG. Even easier. He looked at the service manager and asked if he minded. He said no go ahead. He said if it goes over he'll charge by the half hour. Not round up. The labor on my bar install on the final bill was 2 hours. Bars are Factory 47's. 12". All the guys at my "dealership" have been great. They go above and beyond. They're having my speedo bezel repainted on their dime even though I told them I put the Nick in it.

I've been to dealership's where they Rob you blind if you let them. I lived 10 minutes from Brian's HD. Chose to go to Barbs in Camden. Over an hour.

slowrollin (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016 | 04:56 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RFG
My bike was getting other work done and I planned on doing my bars myself. Told the mechanic I had them and I want them on asap but I had an issue with the labor as I know I can do them in 2 hours. I did my street glide in 3 and a half. This is a RG. Even easier. He looked at the service manager and asked if he minded. He said no go ahead. He said if it goes over he'll charge by the half hour. Not round up. The labor on my bar install on the final bill was 2 hours. Bars are Factory 47's. 12". All the guys at my "dealership" have been great. They go above and beyond. They're having my speedo bezel repainted on their dime even though I told them I put the Nick in it.

I've been to dealership's where they Rob you blind if you let them. I lived 10 minutes from Brian's HD. Chose to go to Barbs in Camden. Over an hour.
I prefer the tax man to stealer for the dealerships around here.
usual price from the 2 that i mostly go to are $1600 to 2000.00 for 16 inch with chrome hand controls. ( on a road king)
a buddy had a indy do his for 800.00 using his existing controls.

slowrollin (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016 | 05:08 AM
Covert Olds
Road Captain

Some people say they've swapped their bars in 3 hours or so. I really don't see how that's possible unless no care is given when doing the job.

It's a fairly simple job to do with the exception of disassembling the wire connectors for the twist grip sensor and hand controls.

I changed my bars last winter and just helped a friend on Tuesday swap his bars on a 2015 SGS. It was a bit of a struggle with the wiring but if you take your time, take some reference photos and don't let it get to you, it's a piece of cake.

slowrollin (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016 | 05:29 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

That's a normal price for a handlebar swap at the dealer.

slowrollin (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016 | 06:07 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Price sounds right with parts and labor....either getting an Indy or doing it yourself will save...

slowrollin (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016 | 07:41 AM
slowrollin
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Onedef1
You don't need new brake and clutch hoses. And the extensions are plug-in ready and easily available as mentioned above, from NAMZ. It's easier to do yourself than you think, 6 hours is about right, and that's if you're going slow and super cautious just because it's the first time.. no big deal at all.
The factory installed clutch and brake lines look pretty tight. Are you saying there is enough slack in them to allow for taller bars?

Quick Reply: Stealer says $1k For Handlebars?