Sponsored by:

Stealer says $1k For Handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017 | 07:12 AM
slowrollin
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by cycle7447
slowrollin - I believe I was the first to mention that we should refer to them as "dealers - not stealers". I am not offended by your referral.

I was trying to point out that when our inside voices say things - if often comes back to hurt us. Plus, I was mentioned that it is winter tie and you might ask for a winter discount. I am a bit like you - I don't work on my bike

A great example - over the holiday period, I had my XM radio installed. The book rate on this is 1 hour - so, I was looking at $100. All my friends said it was an easy install - but, as mentioned, I will not do my own work.

For Xmas, my daughter gave me a $50 HD gift card. So,great time to get the install. I told the dealer about the card and how pleased I was that she gave it to me.

Install took about 30 minutes - and when I gave them the card, he said, that covers it. Said it was winter time, they were not busy and a real easy install. So, he decided to adjust the rate to better match the actual time.

Yep,we spent extra money on something else - but this is how we support one another.

Your points are well taken. Rob0225's post sounded like he was offended by it. I used the word in jest and it was not my intent to offend anyone. I have grown accustomed to the high prices of dealers' service departments but sometimes you get a number that just makes your head spin. We've had snow here for the last few days and there isn't much work going into the shop. Now would be a good time to do just as you suggest and ask about a winter discount. Probably be a good idea to scratch the stealer reference from my memory banks too. Won't be hard. I forget just about everything these days.

Last edited by slowrollin; 01-09-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2017 | 07:18 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior

Didn't read all the threads but $1000 for the bar change out isn't out of line - providing the cables needed changing....and this is from hands on work experience......

The following users liked this post:
slowrollin (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017 | 02:32 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member

slowrollin - I believe I was the first to mention that we should refer to them as "dealers - not stealers". I am not offended by your referral.

I was trying to point out that when our inside voices say things - if often comes back to hurt us. Plus, I was mentioned that it is winter tie and you might ask for a winter discount. I am a bit like you - I don't work on my bike

A great example - over the holiday period, I had my XM radio installed. The book rate on this is 1 hour - so, I was looking at $100. All my friends said it was an easy install - but, as mentioned, I will not do my own work.

For Xmas, my daughter gave me a $50 HD gift card. So,great time to get the install. I told the dealer about the card and how pleased I was that she gave it to me.

Install took about 30 minutes - and when I gave them the card, he said, that covers it. Said it was winter time, they were not busy and a real easy install. So, he decided to adjust the rate to better match the actual time.

Yep,we spent extra money on something else - but this is how we support one another.
I am so glad you posted this experience. Sometimes I need reminding that not all the dealers are crooks. If you had asked me, I would have been on the "stealer" side of the argument because of the inept and shabby treatment I and friends have received from a local "stealer". Call it "cutting off my nose to spite my face", but despite this local dealer being literally 10 minutes from my house, I have taken to travelling over 1 hour (one-way) to a "dealer" in whom I am significantly more confident. Furthermore, it appears that my local guy is more the exception than the rule. Faith has been restored.

Old 01-09-2017 | 03:46 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

slowrollin - thanks. This is exactly wy I enjoy coming here.

sailmotion - I don;t think it would take a lot for me to restore your faith. After all, you and I have chosen the most beautiful bike and color combination that was ever possible. So, we already thing a like (actually my wife picked it out. She said lets get a new bike..and I just shut up)

I see you live in New York - I use to live in Bacon - love riding is NY - especially in the finger lakes area.

Old 01-09-2017 | 03:54 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member

slowrollin - thanks. This is exactly wy I enjoy coming here.

sailmotion - I don;t think it would take a lot for me to restore your faith. After all, you and I have chosen the most beautiful bike and color combination that was ever possible. So, we already thing a like (actually my wife picked it out. She said lets get a new bike..and I just shut up)

I see you live in New York - I use to live in Bacon - love riding is NY - especially in the finger lakes area.
True, true and true. You've got one up on me - while my wife was fully supportive of me getting the bike, she didn't force me to get one! She also initially turned up her nose at the amber whiskey [wanted the maroon], but has since admitted she's glad we went with the AW.

Old 01-09-2017 | 04:30 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Magnut1

I'll tell you what Mr Service, I will give you $750 and not a penny more for the handlebar installation.

"I've got a friend that knows everything there is to know about changing handle bars. Mind if I give him a call?"

Old 01-09-2017 | 05:25 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Dealer told me $1200 when I was buying the bike. I spent $260.00 total for everything needed and did it myself. Had never done it before and did it in 6-1/2 hours taking my time. I could easily do it in 5 hours now that I know the tricks.

Old 01-09-2017 | 06:11 PM
dakotabobcat
Cruiser

I was quoted 775.00 plus tax for new bar install with new grips plus they will store it for the remainder of the winter for no charge.

Old 01-10-2017 | 01:55 PM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member

I stopped in at a dealer that is close to my house to see what bars they had in stock. After looking at a number of handlebar options for my RG and a price quote, I asked how much and install would cost. I was quoted a 7 hour job at 105.00 per hour. I ordered some Paul Yaffee OEM Monkey bars and will be doing the install myself. I have replaced handlebars on other bikes, but these will be the most time consuming. But I got time.