Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myth that aftermarket partsvoids warranties

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 01:04 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

I begin performance mod's on day one. If denied a warranty claim, no biggie, I can afford to fix or replace. Cheaper than litigation. Never had a failure on a bike I have modded (knock on wood).

Old 12-24-2016, 03:53 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteF
I chuckle a little when I see threads of this type, especially when people read something about the MM Act and take what it says verbatim. What most people don't realize is that what the act says and how it's applied are two different animals, and depends on many elements such as legal precedence and interpretations that have occurred over the years. There are lawyers who do nothing but specialize in this field, most of whom work for corporations. That being said, put an aftermarket cam in your 2016 Street Glide and grenade the engine and see if MOCO covers it under the two year warranty. Good luck. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. All they have to do, however, is deny the claim asserting that it was the cam that caused the problem. It's then up to you to sue MOCO and prove otherwise. Do that with your local attorney who will argue against corporate attorneys whose specialty is warranty law and see who runs out of money first.

MOCO in general has been very accomadating when compared with other vehicle manufacturers regarding honoring warranties and aftermarket parts. Try flashing your Chevrolet with an aftermarket map and see if GM doesn't void your powertrain warranty immediately if they discover it. I've known Harley to cover engine repairs even when the ECM has been flashed with a Power Vision. The EPA agreement on 2017s and newer has essentially put a halt on out of EPA spec alterations and adds a different element to the conversation.
Very well said. Seems like everyone who has an issue with modifying their bike wants to bring up the MMA and most dont even know the whole act