Sponsored by:

Sena 20S - how long is the real "talk time"

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 06:31 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Man - all of this is so confusing. If I have to run a USB to the headset to keep it charged while riding - what then is the difference in being corded to the bike?

So, corded to he wired headset or corded to the USB charger??????
I've ridden all day, talking to my riding buddy the whole time, and never ran down the battery. Ever. I've even ridden during the day, forgot to put it on the charger at home overnight, and ridden the next day without running it down.

Charging it on the bike is basically if you're riding all day, and using multiple functions all day. Then you might need to charge it before the end of your ride.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:01 AM
JTC3495
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ride to work everyday, about a 30 minute commute, along with some weekend use. I will usually only charge once a week, and have never had the battery die. If I do a full day ride I will recharge at the end of the day just to be safe.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:22 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,349 Likes on 5,493 Posts

We were getting the full 12 hours or so out of them

Old 12-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Surfcitydude
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Sena 20S is crap! All my buddies and I have them and they never seem to work properly. The other day 4 of us went to breakfast. Right in the middle of conversations, 1 or 2 riders drop off. We are no more than 100 yards apart. Talked to Sena customer support several times and their response is, "we've never had those problems". Save your money. Cardio just brought out a new unit that runs using RF instead of Bluetooth like Sena. Better range, no static, and no daisy-chain connection like Sena. We are all putting ours on Ebay and switching to Cardio. will be 8 available used listed soon.

Old 12-04-2017, 06:34 PM
justbike1
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Used many times all day like 9 hrs or more and never had one go dead.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:51 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,988 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by SenaBluetooth
A USB cigarette charger is included in the box for the 20S so that you can charge the headset from the bike while you are using it. In addition, you can also charge the 20S with an external USB charger like the Sena Powerbank to make sure that you'll always be able to talk over the intercom while riding.
The HD labeled 20S that came with my 18 CVO Road Glide the battery does not last 500 miles. That is talking very little and not listening to music through it.

My friend, who leads rides for the local dealer ship can not get his that came with his 18 CVO Street Glide to last for a day ride.

He has contacted Sena a couple times about the issue. We have both contacted HD customer service. The reply is the same we are working on it.

Rather upsets me, as my wife and I ride 700 miles days on our separate bikes, an I can't go 500 miles before my head set is dead.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:00 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
The HD labeled 20S that came with my 18 CVO Road Glide the battery does not last 500 miles. That is talking very little and not listening to music through it.

My friend, who leads rides for the local dealer ship can not get his that came with his 18 CVO Street Glide to last for a day ride.

He has contacted Sena a couple times about the issue. We have both contacted HD customer service. The reply is the same we are working on it.

Rather upsets me, as my wife and I ride 700 miles days on our separate bikes, an I can't go 500 miles before my head set is dead.
That's really interesting. My SENAs last for well over a full day, into the next day.

SENA verified to me that there is custom programming in the Harley BOOM Audio versions of the SENA headsets. When you pair your Harley SENA headset with the WHIM, which is also built for Harley by SENA, there is a handshaking that takes place. The WHIM looks for the custom programming in the headset that shows that it's the Harley SENA headset, and if it doesn't see that custom code, then it shuts down stereo music and goes to monaural. I'm wondering if there's some kind of ongoing checking while you ride, and that is what is draining the battery. Hhhmmm...

Old 12-05-2017, 10:28 AM
720Deere
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My answer to that is NO. My Sena 20S headsets perform no differently with the WHIM than they did as standalone or when connected to the Sena Freewire. I recently purchased the BOOM 20s Evo headsets, but have not had an opportunity to fully test their battery life with the WHIM.

We routinely ride 8+ hours per day with the 20S connected to the WHIM and have numerous times ridden a second day without charging. The first place that I would look if I were experiencing short battery life is what else is paired with the headset. The more bluetooth connections that the headset is trying to maintain, the more power it is going to waste.

I also had an issue with some sort of static feedback through the headsets and no amount of VOX adjustment would fix it. I finally figured out that my girlfriend was still connecting the headsets to each other even though we were connected through the WHIM. Not only was the noise annoying, but it also causes battery drain to power two functions doing the same thing at the same time.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:33 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Great input! Thanks!

Old 12-06-2017, 08:06 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,988 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
That's really interesting. My SENAs last for well over a full day, into the next day.

SENA verified to me that there is custom programming in the Harley BOOM Audio versions of the SENA headsets. When you pair your Harley SENA headset with the WHIM, which is also built for Harley by SENA, there is a handshaking that takes place. The WHIM looks for the custom programming in the headset that shows that it's the Harley SENA headset, and if it doesn't see that custom code, then it shuts down stereo music and goes to monaural. I'm wondering if there's some kind of ongoing checking while you ride, and that is what is draining the battery. Hhhmmm...
I am sure it is something with the interface between the WHIM and the Headset. Not just my bike. I know three of the CVO's sold the dealer where I got mine have this issue.

Originally Posted by 720Deere
My answer to that is NO. My Sena 20S headsets perform no differently with the WHIM than they did as standalone or when connected to the Sena Freewire. I recently purchased the BOOM 20s Evo headsets, but have not had an opportunity to fully test their battery life with the WHIM.

We routinely ride 8+ hours per day with the 20S connected to the WHIM and have numerous times ridden a second day without charging. The first place that I would look if I were experiencing short battery life is what else is paired with the headset. The more bluetooth connections that the headset is trying to maintain, the more power it is going to waste.

I also had an issue with some sort of static feedback through the headsets and no amount of VOX adjustment would fix it. I finally figured out that my girlfriend was still connecting the headsets to each other even though we were connected through the WHIM. Not only was the noise annoying, but it also causes battery drain to power two functions doing the same thing at the same time.
The only thing my headset has ever been paired to is the WHIM.

The 20S does not have the same software as the HD BoOM 20s. Both HD and Sena have pointed this out.

Sena knows there is a problem. They just have not found what is causing it or a solution.

It sucks. Also being my bike is a CVO that came with the WHIM I do not have an option to go back to the corded HD headsets that work.

I need at least 12 hours of talk/standby time.

Quick Reply: Sena 20S - how long is the real "talk time"