Sponsored by:

Another collapsed Hammock seat sling

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 07:20 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Thanks for the link I am on my way out to the garage to look at mine. Ok I went out to the garage and found mine had slipped did the fix like it said in the above link, took me more time to figure out which way to pull the sling material than it did to fix it. Like rwven said I used a small pointed pair of vise grips and grabbed the outer edges of the sling then pulled them out a little then up then drilled two small holes through the frame where they rest and put in a small screw through the outer sling and inner part of the frame. Worked great and won't slip down again. I only had to pull the staples out of the top row so the flap stayed put. Put it back on the bike and could immediately feel the change in seating position.
My seat is less than a year old so I would suggest everyone that has the Hammock to check it out and don't take it to the dealer and get a replacement cause it's probably going to do the same thing fix yours and write it off to another screw up from the MOCO.
I just relooked at the link and my seat looks a little different probably because of the year and mine is a rider/passenger but the principle is the same.
Thanks guys for the repair link and for finding the thread.
Santa

Last edited by santajim; 11-18-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:14 PM
4D_Footer
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I took some pics when I did the fix. Posting as informational being the original fix was linked.

The front of the seat closest to the gas tank has a U shaped track that catches on the seat frame.

You can see this in the first pic as well. This is the collapsed "sling" material that has detached and is slack on the seat frame.

Sling material gap to foam.

Back portion closest to passenger is the problem area. The sling material is looped around a ~2 inch plastic strap. The strap is only held in place via tension in a track. Nothing actually secures it to the frame.

Use a pair of pliers to grab that plastic strap/fabric and turn it back up. I used 2 screws to secure it.

The passenger sling uses what looks like 2 fiberglass bands and not the fabric the rider seat uses. Hard to see but they are the two little blue bands to either side.

The following 2 users liked this post by 4D_Footer:
rwven (11-19-2016), santajim (11-19-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 01:14 PM
duckbagger
Road Captain
Received 207 Likes on 120 Posts

Damn. Sure as ****, mine's totally slack. I didn't really notice much difference in loft, but I was thinking I was sitting a little bit lower and having a harder time seeing over the windshield. Thought maybe I was just slouching more and needed to do some sit-ups.

I swear if I spend too much time here I look for problems that don't exist, but thanks all for bringing this issue up (especially with such an easy fix). I don't like to bash, but for a $500 seat I expect more. I don't mind paying for quality as long as I'm getting what I pay for.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:32 PM
duckbagger
Road Captain

Update:

Just got back from my local dealer with a new seat!

I bought the seat new with the bike, so it is covered under the original two-year warranty. Mine expires in two weeks, so I caught this just in time.

Thanks HD Forums!

Old 11-19-2016, 02:51 PM
rwven
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by duckbagger
Update:

Just got back from my local dealer with a new seat!

I bought the seat new with the bike, so it is covered under the original two-year warranty. Mine expires in two weeks, so I caught this just in time.

Thanks HD Forums!
Now you need to take the new seat off and put a couple screws in it so it won't collapse. My seat is only six months old and it collapsed.....

Old 11-19-2016, 03:28 PM
duckbagger
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rwven
Now you need to take the new seat off and put a couple screws in it so it won't collapse. My seat is only six months old and it collapsed.....
Yep goes without saying. Cheap insurance.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:19 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

After the fix night before I was on a ride yesterday and could tell the difference in the seat, it made me sit up a little and definitely was more solid.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:03 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 193 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by santajim
After the fix night before I was on a ride yesterday and could tell the difference in the seat, it made me sit up a little and definitely was more solid.
i wish I would of known this prior to getting rid of mine, Loved the seat till about 1,700 miles then terrible, probably what it was, of course it's been a few years ago,. But if I ever go back to a hammock, good to know ,tnx HD forum

Old 11-20-2016, 12:10 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

You made me look!

Went out last night and pulled the seat. Luckily the sling material is still glued tightly to the plastic piece, and nothing has slipped.

Thanks for the heads up!

Old 02-01-2017, 12:39 PM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

Just a bit of an older thread, here's a bump...

I just pulled and checked my heated CVO hammock seat and sure as ****, one side had become dislodged and slipped. Holy Crap, it was an absolute BITCH to get back into position and back into the retainer. No way to pull it back by hand...ended up using full size vice-grips and screwdrivers and small pry bars to get it set.

I pre-drilled pilot holes then used 4 self tapping screws to hold it in place.

THANKS TO ALL on this one. I would have NEVER looked at that hammock strap...never even thought about it +++10 to everyone!

My thought is this really a **** poor design on a frigg'n $500 seat. Looks like it is designed to be very easily made and get'er out for sale. Sure needs a redesign.

Here's my pictures...Sure glad the top of my bike isn't as dirty as under the seat, that's what a mile and a half of dirt gets you...

Self tappers' were very easy

Should be no problem holding the hammock strap

Last edited by plongson; 02-01-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Another collapsed Hammock seat sling