Grand HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 446 Posts

I get mine today!!!

Old 11-18-2016, 07:35 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDRider15
I felt the say way with the stock bars on the Street Glide; I chose the LA Choppers 12" and used all the stock hardware, I also changed to bearings out

12" LA Choppers Twin Peaks. <br/>Uses all the factor cables.

How did you thread the Throttle and switch cable? I have taken apart the plug on the throttle cable but not sure how to (or if I need to) take apart the other switch. There has to be a better way than what I have attempted thus far. I almost just said "screw it" and ran the switch cable on the outside. I really want to do this proper though.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:56 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Well, chalk one up to experience now. I need a new right control cable. I am having a heck of a time routing that under the lever clamp. It seems easy but I have managed to pinch and cut a few wires. Have to take it all apart and put a new cable in. Of course, the throttle by wire cable has to come out with it so JOY! Now that I am comfortable with taking the connectors off the ends it shouldn't be that big of a deal. I am going to be so ready to help friends now. Oh, I need a new front fender now too. That is awesome.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:07 AM
HDRider15
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket67
How did you thread the Throttle and switch cable? I have taken apart the plug on the throttle cable but not sure how to (or if I need to) take apart the other switch. There has to be a better way than what I have attempted thus far. I almost just said "screw it" and ran the switch cable on the outside. I really want to do this proper though.
Sorry, I was away this past weekend. I had a buddy who works for a HD dealership install the bars for me when I picked up the bike.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:35 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Sorry, I was away this past weekend. I had a buddy who works for a HD dealership install the bars for me when I picked up the bike.

No worries, I figured it out. I had to take all the plug ends off but it wasn't that hard to do and I didn't mess anything up doing it. I did learn that even though the guy in the video says you can lean your fairing back and it won't fall, it can. It's all part of doing something for the first time, definitely a learning curve.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:53 AM
HDRider15
Advanced

Sorry to hear about the issues; a lot of people said it was easy, and that could be true, however I did not want to chance any issues on a brand new bike. Hope all works out, I know you will enjoy the new riding position.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:47 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Sorry to hear about the issues; a lot of people said it was easy, and that could be true, however I did not want to chance any issues on a brand new bike. Hope all works out, I know you will enjoy the new riding position.

I have a guy I am taking my bars to now. He is going to fix the wiring and shrink wrap as well as a few other things that they do to make sure there isn't any problem with wiring. Things I cannot do or I would attempt them. Same guy will also be fixing the fender, a much bigger issue. Either way, I should have this back up and running after this weekend.

This could be easy if you have experience doing it. I did get it all done and back together, just clamped a wire when attaching the front brake lever and reservior. Taking it all back apart was a lot faster the second time. If I had to do it again I would take the front fender off just in case.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:36 AM
WillSin865
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieDog
Here is a word of advice based on what I learned the hard way. If you read through these forums you'll find a lot of input from guys who just love the various mini-ape handlebars. If they truly do work for them, more power to them.
I was trying to solve a problem with hand numbness on a 2014 Ultra Limited. i read all the mini-ape feedback on here, then talked to my dealer. "Oh yeah, that will definitely help" they said. Biggest mistake I have ever made on modifying my motorcycle, other than the time i tried to set the timing on my BSA441 by ear!

Make sure you consider the tip-to-tip measurement on the handle bars. The HD mini-apes are not only higher but about 4" wider. You will not only be reaching up but also farther apart, which is a consideration in low-speed control situations. If you are built like an orangutan, no problem. For me with a 32" sleeve length it just didn't work.
This is exactly right, I have the same problem and now am looking at a different set myself. And I have no idea which to get.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:04 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Well, they are done and everything is as it should be. It was a PITA but after about 100 miles I am glad I did it.

Attached Thumbnails Mini Apes-mini-apes.png  
Old 11-28-2016, 10:15 AM
HDRider15
Advanced

Looks good, and I know you will enjoy the comfort as you put on more miles. Are you changing the mirrors?

Quick Reply: Mini Apes