Sponsored by:

Tail light elimination

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 07:56 AM
BlueTK
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Tail light elimination

Ok, I've had it. I've tried several times to complete the look of the docking conversion on my limited. I moved the license plate mount down below the tail light which caused me to search out a different tail light and I had gone with a laydown LED light from Drag. The first one was sealed with an LED board and although I really liked it after a few months the plate illumination LEDs would flicker and burn out. So then I switched from the sealed unit and bought a lay down lens and a separate LED bulb. LED being required for that lens.

Thought I had it made with that last configuration.

Nope! After about 9 months or so now the LED bulb is flickering and it's driving me insane!

Now I'm planning on getting rid of the tail light altogether since I have the bag lights. Problem is there will be this fairly large rectangle hole in the fender but I'm thinking I can adapt the hole in a way that will allow me to cover it with the license plate.

Has anyone done this? Maybe it could be done with a piece of plastic bar stock as a backing plate?

Old 10-19-2016, 11:31 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueTK
Ok, I've had it. I've tried several times to complete the look of the docking conversion on my limited. I moved the license plate mount down below the tail light which caused me to search out a different tail light and I had gone with a laydown LED light from Drag. The first one was sealed with an LED board and although I really liked it after a few months the plate illumination LEDs would flicker and burn out. So then I switched from the sealed unit and bought a lay down lens and a separate LED bulb. LED being required for that lens.

Thought I had it made with that last configuration.

Nope! After about 9 months or so now the LED bulb is flickering and it's driving me insane!

Now I'm planning on getting rid of the tail light altogether since I have the bag lights. Problem is there will be this fairly large rectangle hole in the fender but I'm thinking I can adapt the hole in a way that will allow me to cover it with the license plate.

Has anyone done this? Maybe it could be done with a piece of plastic bar stock as a backing plate?

Did this on my fatboy that had a r/t/b module. Made a metal license plate bracket, put a teenut through the bracket, between plate and license, and bolted from inside the fender to teenut. The bolt runs through the bolt hole that the tail light mounts to. Used weather stripping on backing plate perimeter to fill in gap between fender and back plate. This also kept crap from flying off of rear tire from getting on fender and made for a clean looking fit. If you can weld, lots of other ways to do this instead of a teenut.

The other option is it replace fender...

Attached Thumbnails Tail light elimination-1b-plate-painted.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Blk/Wht/andChrome (10-11-2023)
Old 10-19-2016, 12:17 PM
BlueTK
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Did this on my fatboy that had a r/t/b module. Made a metal license plate bracket, put a teenut through the bracket, between plate and license, and bolted from inside the fender to teenut. The bolt runs through the bolt hole that the tail light mounts to. Used weather stripping on backing plate perimeter to fill in gap between fender and back plate. This also kept crap from flying off of rear tire from getting on fender and made for a clean looking fit. If you can weld, lots of other ways to do this instead of a teenut.

The other option is it replace fender...
That looks really good on your fender. Thanks for the info! I'll have to find a different plate mount that has illumination. At least power should be available from the tail light harness.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:49 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 842 Posts

Brother, I would think twice about getting rid of lights, with all those distracted drivers out there, you need all the light you can get back there. Ever consider a SG fender. I did that on my RK and found a used curved license frame. Looks clean, and went with CD Bullet Ringz and LED tri-bar. With those bag lights, it would help out a lot.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:05 PM
BlueTK
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Magnut1
Brother, I would think twice about getting rid of lights, with all those distracted drivers out there, you need all the light you can get back there. Ever consider a SG fender. I did that on my RK and found a used curved license frame. Looks clean, and went with CD Bullet Ringz and LED tri-bar. With those bag lights, it would help out a lot.
Thanks for the advice. I agree that good lighting is good to have. I'm fairly impressed with the bag lights they're pretty bright but it would be good to have more. The tail lights I've used from Drag have not be very bright at all. I'm just so fed up with tail lights that keep going bad.

Swapping out the fender sounds like a big task. I guess I'll keep looking for better and brighter lights.

Last edited by BlueTK; 10-19-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:27 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueTK
Thanks for the advice. I agree that good lighting is good to have. I'm fairly impressed with the bag lights they're pretty bright but it would be good to have more. The tail lights I've used from Drag have not be very bright at all. I'm just so fed up with tail lights that keep going bad.

Swapping out the fender sounds like a big task. I guess I'll keep looking for better and brighter lights.
Rode with a guy that has one led, nice and bright quality ones, frenched into each bag. Since they are larger diameter then the typical bar led lights, they stood out. But what also made them standout and very obvious when braking and using turns, is the lights being far apart, unlike bar lights. I was able to compare one bike behind his with led bar lights to his at a far distance, their was no contest! If your bag setup is similar to his, it works extremely very well.

Old 10-20-2016, 05:59 AM
EasternSP
Banned

Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

Hey Magnut, your seat is crooked.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:34 AM
BlueTK
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Rode with a guy that has one led, nice and bright quality ones, frenched into each bag. Since they are larger diameter then the typical bar led lights, they stood out. But what also made them standout and very obvious when braking and using turns, is the lights being far apart, unlike bar lights. I was able to compare one bike behind his with led bar lights to his at a far distance, their was no contest! If your bag setup is similar to his, it works extremely very well.
What do you mean, "frenched into each bag"? That sounds like something I'd like to look into.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:16 AM
woodmnctry
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Hey Magnut, your seat is crooked.

Ya beat me to it!!!

Old 10-20-2016, 09:06 AM
nchogfan
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a lay-down mount on ebay, mounted it just about the stock tail light and riding the hell out of it.....no problems.

Quick Reply: Tail light elimination