Sponsored by:

PV Or FP3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 09:16 PM
mpr3369
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default PV Or FP3?

Ok I know this is like the 100,000th thread like this but I'm putting it out there anyway! So if you don't have anything positive to add to the conversation please don't post. Thanks

That being said I've pretty much made up my mind either PV or FP3. For the diehards one way or the other why do you swear by it? I've read that fp3 is easier to use from some threads then I read the opposite on others. So people that have had both feel free to chime in. I'm not going to be using v&h stuff so how close do y'all think the initial map will be with the fp3. How well does the auto tune work on either tuner? I'm pretty much looking for advice on the ends and outs for the easiest and most precise tuner to go with. I don't want to fight the tuner trying to get everything right. Thanks for any input. I appreciate it.

Mike

Old 10-17-2016, 09:31 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I had an FP3 and enjoyed the ease of use with the phone. If you using V&H products I think it's great and many on here will agree and say it's great even when not using V&H stuff. However, I could not get the kinks worked out with mine, even after several calls in and V&H reworking the maps. I ended up with a PV and should have went that way in the first place. Only you can decide what is best for you. Are you only doing a stage 1 or do you have bigger plans? Answer the basic questions first then buy the tuner. Good luck....

Old 10-17-2016, 09:59 PM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm leaning towards FP3.I downloaded there app and looked at the air cleaner and pipe options and bought those.Can be had for under three hundred.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:03 PM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

The catalogs mention the FP3 will be married to the bike.
No returns after being installed.
Be sure if you buy.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:54 AM
mpr3369
Tourer

As of now I just plan on stage 1.

Old 10-18-2016, 06:16 AM
Back-n-Black
Club Member
Received 432 Likes on 230 Posts

I have the PV...Right now at stage 1, not running lean not popping in the exhaust. Runs excellent. Working on getting parts for a cam change here this december and then a dynotune.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:44 AM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mpr3369
As of now I just plan on stage 1.
That's what I told myself as well. LOL.....I'm planning a trip this summer to Fuel Moto for a 107" build.

Originally Posted by Back-n-Black
I have the PV...Right now at stage 1, not running lean not popping in the exhaust. Runs excellent. Working on getting parts for a cam change here this december and then a dynotune.
This is currently where mine is at as well. I think I read on here where 1 shop did a dynotune with an FP3, but the tech stated he wouldn't do it again. It was more of a play type deal.

Decide where you want to end up, not where you're at now or what you think your plans are. I took advantage of FM's trade in program and didn't lose much $$$ switching from the FP3 to the PV.

Last edited by Blue Tick; 10-18-2016 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:56 AM
mpr3369
Tourer

Honestly I am leaning towards the pv but after reading on multiple occasions how easy the fp3 was it had me second guessing. Thanks for all the input.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:20 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,226 Likes on 2,315 Posts

I went with the FP3 because I told myself I would never go beyond slip ons. The FP3 fit the bill. Then, I put on a full 2-1 exhaust and a high flow AC. The FP3 fit the bill. Then, I installed cams. The FP3 still fit the bill. I'm seriously considering getting the bike dyno'ed at The Lone Star Rally coming up in a couple of weeks and I have my doubts that they'll be able to dyno it with the FP3. So, if I had it to do all over again, I would have bought the PV instead of the FP3.

Old 10-18-2016, 11:34 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

i have multiple bikes. I have both a PV and a FP3. I think if you are going to do more than a stage 2, get the PV. if you are going to stay at a stage 2 or below, then get the FP3.

the FP3 is very easy to use and has adjusted, through auto tune, for my non V&H slip ons and cams. that being said, i have run approx 8 auto tune sessions and fine the bike runs great with no need to do anything further. I especially like how the bike performs not only with a smooth linear accerlation with little to no flat spots with greater fuel economy. my map is in the high 13's and low 14's for AFR with the cruise range around 14.4.

On my PV bike, its is a 120R with all the goodies, including Wide Band auto tune. The PV handles all the necessary functions and when i recently changed exhaust from a 2-1-2 to a 2-1 borzilla, it handled this change easily, auto tuned 1 session and map was spot on. I have great power, and get decent fuel economy if i can keep my right hand steady.

that being said, i considered a 2nd license for the PV for the bike i put the FP3 on. it was cheaper to go that way but not all that much. And since i wanted to try the FP3, i took the financial hit for a little less than $100 and bought the FP3.

The limits of the FP3 are very well known, so consider your long term goals and make the best decision for the cost.

my $.02

Quick Reply: PV Or FP3?