Sponsored by:

Clutch issues with the 2017

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Cmeo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sectime
Expecting the worst with all the doom in this thread, I searched the correct M8 forum if anybody forgot. I'm sure I'll find lots of pissed off owners with clutches dead. Boy was I disappointed. I love the internet.
Guide me with a link please!
Thanks

Old 08-22-2017, 08:15 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
...a guy on Facebook...

you truly have nothing better to do, do you '05 except peruse the Internet looking for issues with the new bikes. Sad really.

Her you go.......

Attached Thumbnails Clutch issues with the 2017-butthurt.png  
The following users liked this post:
skm348 (08-24-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 07:08 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmeo
been meaning to post but something always comes up ... brand new 2017 cvo street glide ... rode out to Long Island almost to the end from brooklyn about 2 hour ride . Got there with no problem. When it was time to leave I had no clutch pressure. Dealer picked it up. A week later they replaced the master cyclinder and clutch slave .. bike has only 1500 miles . I'm supposed to pick it up today let's see how she rides after this ... when I pushed the bike from the street to the garage it smelled like something burnt .. I thought it was the clutch that was done but the dealer said it was just the fluids that got burnt and no damage was done to the clutch.
So, how did the "fluids get burnt", and what fluids was he talking about? Sounds like typical dealership BS to me. I know the Rushmore bikes had a problem with similar symptoms that resulted in a recall.

My '15 Limited had the issue, which I fixed myself by flushing about a quart of fluid through the system in lieu of letting some brain-dead dealership "tech" touch my bike. That ain't EVER gonna happen!

Hopefully, this is the only glitch for you with your new bike.

Good luck,

JP

Last edited by jpooch00; 08-23-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:43 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
It's all about probability! Everything, no matter who, how, what designed it, built it, or how much it costs has a failure rate. The failure rate could be 1/10,000 and if that one person reports it, some people think the sky is falling.
I know what you're saying. There have been a couple of folks here that have said the same thing in recent days about complaining posters. And I agree that you have to keep everything you read here and in other forums in perspective. However, we can't always bury our head in the sand about some of the common issues either.

I'll relay a discussion I had with my local dealer's service writers last week about this very subject. I told him I was hesitant about spending $800 for a two year extended warranty. I told them I had read about a lot of problems on the forums and had gotten to the stage that I was afraid to take a trip and get stranded on the side of the road.

They told me that most of the problems they see are "operator induced failures". Like a guy with a Dyna that had only 3000 miles on it, and was looking at his 3rd clutch replacement. His problem was that he was trying to ride his Dyna at 35 miles per hour while staying in 4th gear. Yes, that will burn up a clutch pretty quickly. LOL!

They did tell me that they thought the warranty was a good idea because of all the electronics on the newer bikes. Electronics are not worked on...they are replaced. That's costly right there. So I have changed my mind and will buy the extended warranty. If a stator goes out, it could fry a lot of stuff in the electronics of the bike. Heck, the stator itself is about a $600 job.

But there are some problems that are real, and not caused by the operator, and need to be vocalized and addressed by Harley. And I am not impressed at all by those here that jump to beat the heck out of anybody that voices a complaint about Harley. That is ridiculous and ignorant, in my opinion.

One person here told me it wasn't Harley's job to teach me how to use a computer, after I complained about the confusing process of updating the Boom Box software. Well, he was wrong on so many counts. It is every company's job to make it's product as easily accessible and usable as they can for their customers.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:55 PM
Cmeo
Intermediate

Bike running good ... but now I smell burnt oil I can't see the leak but I can smell it ... now I have to take it back ... saw the 2018 models and I thought it was going to be mad and was going to regret getting this 2017 .. but I love me color better only thing I like better is the 117 engine .. I guess I have to keep bringing the bike back until they get it right ...

Old 08-23-2017, 10:07 PM
Cmeo
Intermediate

I think I found my problem

Old 08-23-2017, 10:23 PM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Cmeo

I think I found my problem
Ummmm......time to find a new dealer??????

YMMV

Lon

The following users liked this post:
Cmeo (08-23-2017)
Old 08-23-2017, 11:38 PM
Cmeo
Intermediate

Yes I agree

Old 08-24-2017, 06:41 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Did the dealer "tech" have the pipes off, or did it come like that from the factory?

Old 08-24-2017, 06:29 PM
Cmeo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Did the dealer "tech" have the pipes off, or did it come like that from the factory?
They removed them when they open the primary and fixed a leak I had ... honestly the bike was running good before the first service. After service all these little issues started coming up

Quick Reply: Clutch issues with the 2017