Sponsored by:

Clutch issues with the 2017

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:35 PM
Pdx Rider
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 touring transmission issues

Had the transmission gear casset replaced at 135 miles due to the trans imploding and completely lost third gear.
Now at 1500 miles, the Harley shop just informed me that they found metal in the trans fluid.
Something is going on that is not being talked
about. This seems to be a major problem that is just starting to surface.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:14 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,132 Likes on 7,344 Posts

Went to a local dealer in late May and they were having demo days.

I rode a 2017 Road Glide, one buddy rode the Road Glide Ultra, one rode a Limited and the other rode a Road King. Funny but the only one of use actually shopping for a bike was the guy and his wife on the Limited. He was very excited as it was the first Rushmore and M8 he had been on. We all leave the dealership with the lead bike and instantly I did not see the Limited behind me. Was caught at a red light and he finally pulled up. We took off and again he fell way back. As we exited the road to make a turn we waited for him. He pulled up and got all our attention.the bike would NOT shift. It was stuck in 3rd gear. The lead guy from the dealership got on the bike and almost never got it to shift gears. Had to ride the clutch and get it moving to make it shift. They switched bikes and the guy nursed it back to the dealership. I don't have any idea what the problem was but this bike had less than 2 k miles on it. Not a good first impression for my buddy. He ended up finding a 2014 low miles that's was in his budget. I hope HD does not have another problem like I went through with the tranny on my 2010 Ultra.

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 07-08-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:48 AM
sectime
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Expecting the worst with all the doom in this thread, I searched the correct M8 forum if anybody forgot. I'm sure I'll find lots of pissed off owners with clutches dead. Boy was I disappointed. I love the internet.

The following users liked this post:
Cmeo (08-22-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 06:03 AM
leftyjm
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force
Received 412 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeinsc
...a guy on Facebook...

you truly have nothing better to do, do you '05 except peruse the Internet looking for issues with the new bikes. Sad really.
Love your grammar!

Old 07-11-2017, 06:09 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

Hmmmmm interesting reading. So happens the clutch on my 2017 TriGlide is gone... Bike is 5 weeks old. Brought it back from a 1200 mile trip last Sunday. Monday morning the clutch was gone while sitting in the garage overnight. No pressure to release it. go figure, will be calling the dealership this morning.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:41 AM
sectime
Tourer
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
Hmmmmm interesting reading. So happens the clutch on my 2017 TriGlide is gone... Bike is 5 weeks old. Brought it back from a 1200 mile trip last Sunday. Monday morning the clutch was gone while sitting in the garage overnight. No pressure to release it. go figure, will be calling the dealership this morning.
I hope you're posting this in the trike and M8 forums too.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:49 PM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 561 Likes on 272 Posts

I haven't yet. Just stumbled across this post this morning. They just picked up the trike. I will post the results when I get them on the forums. I strongly suspect excessive heat was the culprit here. Trikes run a bit hotter than other touring models, different air flow. My suspicion is that the long trip through the mountains and the "Pee Dee" as they call it in NC at high humidity and temps brought this on, plus my garage was at least 90 degrees inside when I parked it for the night. Thinking the hydraulic fluid in the clutch cooked and created bubbles. Funny it doesn't seem to effect the brakes though.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:33 PM
mikebell220
Stage I
Thumbs down 2017 CVO Street Clutch Problem

Confirmed just was told my 2017 will be laid up for over a week waiting for clutch parts. Problem started at about 4700 miles with a low bearing failure noise coming from the engine which went away when the clucth was engaged. They just confirmed they have orderd a clutch throw out bearing and retaining clips. Here we go......

Old 07-29-2017, 07:42 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

Wow! 38 posts and nobody's mentioned Hitler yet! It's a record!!!

Old 08-22-2017, 10:12 AM
Cmeo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mikebell220
Confirmed just was told my 2017 will be laid up for over a week waiting for clutch parts. Problem started at about 4700 miles with a low bearing failure noise coming from the engine which went away when the clucth was engaged. They just confirmed they have orderd a clutch throw out bearing and retaining clips. Here we go......
been meaning to post but something always comes up ... brand new 2017 cvo street glide ... rode out to Long Island almost to the end from brooklyn about 2 hour ride . Got there with no problem. When it was time to leave I had no clutch pressure. Dealer picked it up. A week later they replaced the master cyclinder and clutch slave .. bike has only 1500 miles . I'm supposed to pick it up today let's see how she rides after this ... when I pushed the bike from the street to the garage it smelled like something burnt .. I thought it was the clutch that was done but the dealer said it was just the fluids that got burnt and no damage was done to the clutch.

Quick Reply: Clutch issues with the 2017