Sponsored by:

Boombox failing upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016 | 08:00 AM
mchertel
|
Tourer
Default Boombox failing upgrade

Tried uploading the new 1.20.1. All previous updates were successful. This one was not. It did verify the file and ask if I wanted to upgrade. I press yes of course. At this point it usually starts reading and uploading the new files, I believe there is 10 of them. This time however it just toggles about every 5 seconds or so between "waiting to update" (or something like that) and a blank screen. Needless to say after 30 minutes or so I pulled the plug. Now of course the display read "insert USB to continue update."

Is there a master reset does anyone know? Thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks

Old 09-14-2016 | 08:10 AM
plongson
Road Master

Try a factory reset...

1. Turn IGN OFF. Wait 15 seconds.
2. Press and hold power/mute button. Turn IGN to ACC.
3. Continue to press power button for 2 seconds after the WARNING screen is displayed.
4. Release power/mute button and accept warning.
The service menu may display “Diagnostic Service Not Available” when a menu option is initially selected. This message will clear once the system has finished performing the power-on process. Options are: DTCs, Audio, Display, Key input, Component menus, Version info, Reset, Touchscreen.
Reset: Pre-calibration reset: Restores factory default settings. This is recommended when there are radio symptoms and no DTCs*
Post calibrations save: Archives customers’ settings so that they can be restored after a Post calibration Reset.
Post calibration reset: Resets the radio to factory default settings and restores the last archive data stored during Post calibration save.

The following users liked this post:
mchertel (09-14-2016)
Old 09-14-2016 | 08:16 AM
mchertel
|
Tourer

Thanks, I will give that a try at lunch time. Will it default back to the version the came with the bike then or the last good version it was updated to?

Last edited by mchertel; 09-14-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-14-2016 | 08:48 AM
plongson
Road Master

If the update did not take, it should fall back to the last version that was installed.

Old 09-14-2016 | 09:15 AM
mchertel
|
Tourer

Well, no luck. I followed these steps and it still just goes to the "Please insert USB device to continue upgrade" screen. I guess I will go down to Harley but not sure what they will do if the factory reset screen won't come up. Maybe trying to go back to the 1.19.2 version would work but I couldn't find that anywhere to download.

Last edited by mchertel; 09-14-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-14-2016 | 10:07 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior

If it is convenient to get to HD, take it in, most likely a software issue, but could be your USB, the cable, the radio. You still have your warranty let them diagnose and fix it.

If it isn't convenient then try another USB and download.

Good luck.

Old 09-14-2016 | 10:16 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Default Try this

Originally Posted by mchertel
Well, no luck. I followed these steps and it still just goes to the "Please insert USB device to continue upgrade" screen. I guess I will go down to Harley but not sure what they will do if the factory reset screen won't come up. Maybe trying to go back to the 1.19.2 version would work but I couldn't find that anywhere to download.
Go back to the Harley's website and download it again to your computer, unzip it, and copy the file to your USB drive. This goes w/o saying that you need to delete the previous copy from your computer and your USB drive.

Then reload it onto your bike.

Old 09-14-2016 | 10:59 AM
mchertel
|
Tourer

I have tried two different USB drives and downloaded it a few different times as well. It is the only file on the USB drive and in the root. I setup an appointment with HD so I guess we will see. If it is covered under the two year then I am good unless they say that I cause it for some reason.....

Old 09-14-2016 | 11:44 AM
plongson
Road Master

Just to be clear, the .iso file is sitting right on top on the thumb drive. There can be other files but you must have only the .iso you want to load there.

Old 09-14-2016 | 11:46 AM
mchertel
|
Tourer

Yup understood, I happened to reformat the USB's and then only put the .iso on the USB just to be sure.......

Quick Reply: Boombox failing upgrade