2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I get my SG to ride like an Ultra...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016 | 07:54 AM
Kacowboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by micmoren
I just put the heavy duty 944s on my Road King and I have noticed a difference in the ride. I still have to set the correct sag but just out of the box it was an improvement. The Ultras do have that nicely padded seat but I cannot see myself putting one on my RK. As BigMike and TwoLaneTramp have stated, you need to look at a different wheel/tire up front and different seat (once you set the sag correctly on your 944s if you have not done so already). And a little ballast should help as well because I have heard that the progressives ride even better when 2 up. If none of that works, I hear the 2017 models are great. Good luck.

I put a RK Sundowner on my RK looks so much better than the factory seat, also rides so much better also.

Old 09-10-2016 | 07:57 AM
Darrell07FLHR
Advanced

Don't forget how much tire pressure can change the ride . I had a buddy who rode a rigid frame for years and only ran 25 psi on the rear tire so that the tire would flex and soak up some of the wrinkles in the road , but he was not a aggressive rider at all , and it had tubes front and rear . My point is obviously 25 psi would be unsafe on a low profile tubeless tire , but sometimes just a few psi can make the needed difference .
If the bike is loaded with rider, passenger, tour pack and gear the side walls of the tire are going to flex more than when there is only the one rider .

Old 09-10-2016 | 07:24 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by cadent47
I love my bike, and love the look, but the ride is so harsh or firm. How can I improve it without spending a fortune?

I've already changed the rear air shocks to Progressive 944's. That helped a bit, but if I happen to not be paying attention to a imperfection in the roadway I get a spine jarring jolt to my back.

I've test ridden several Ultra's and do not have that issue. I am at the point of replacing my beautiful bike with another beautiful bike. I'd rather keep my SG, but it's wearing me out.

Suggestions and thoughts are welcomed.........
Which 944 UT or UL if UL then don't expect much and if UT bags off start from zero turn and increase one full turn after riding the same road with some imperfections back and forth and you will find a sweet spot just keep trying.

Old 09-10-2016 | 10:21 PM
7roper7
Cruiser

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Add 40 lbs of weight. Adding a ballast helps if you want it to ride like an ultra. Just like adding a tour pak
I don't see the logic

Last edited by 7roper7; 09-11-2016 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-10-2016 | 10:49 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BigMike
You have a SG and EG that are basically the same exact bike with the only differences being the weight, seat, rear shocks, wheels and tires. It isn't that difficult to figure out how to answer the question. Smh
Set the sag on the shocks properly ( I don't know 944's rebound setting? ), get your seat redone or borrow a memory foam or double foam seat, drop your rear tire pressure a couple of pounds. SG's were supposed to be the COOL thing while the Ultra was cruising comfort. They both miss the mark without tweeking.
I have an Ultra 90% without TourPak & Solo, Ohlin 3-3's rear, Legend cartridge front, Corbin Solo or stock seat - redone double memory foam front/rear (Mean City Cycles), spoke wheels instead of mags (a little flex), run front & rear tire pressure 2-3lbs low, and it is comfortable as well as handling great. Only issue with tire pressure it is slightly harder to back and push around.
As others stated I came from HardTails and crude suspension, so what we have now are a dream.

The following users liked this post:
cadent47 (09-11-2016)
Old 09-11-2016 | 11:02 AM
cadent47
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by punjabi hd
which 944 ut or ul if ul then don't expect much and if ut bags off start from zero turn and increase one full turn after riding the same road with some imperfections back and forth and you will find a sweet spot just keep trying.
944ut

Old 09-12-2016 | 05:14 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by cadent47
944ut
Those are good shocks just keep turning till feels right you might have to show 2 or 3 lines to have correct sag, it didn't work for me in the garage as good as riding it then adjusting and so on.

Old 09-13-2016 | 12:43 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

Remove all the custom parts you put on, replace with stock parts, ride to dealer, ask same question, sign a bunch of papers, and Wah-laaaa! And now, you bike rides like an Ultra!

Old 09-13-2016 | 08:17 PM
Chris57
Cruiser

I have an ultra front wheel that I run on long rides especially. 17inch instead of 19. That extra sidewall cushions the ride, its amazing the difference. Ultra wheels are cheap. I bought mine on ebay with rotors for $250 free shipping. I am a mechanic by trade so swapping is a breeze. When my tour pak goes on the ultra wheel goes on.

Old 09-14-2016 | 04:59 AM
nuages
Cruiser
Default Comfort

Agreed, swop for Ultra wheels and tires......like night and day....that extra rubber makes a huge difference

Quick Reply: How can I get my SG to ride like an Ultra...?