Sponsored by:

Squealing Noise after Clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016 | 09:51 AM
mchertel
|
Tourer
Default Squealing Noise after Clutch install

I honestly tried to find the answer here but could not. I have a 2015 Ultra Limited with 17K miles that had the clutch go out. The dealer installed a new "performance" clutch per the paperwork. It seems to "grab" quite well and in fact I stalled it a couple of times I rode it after the install.

My question though is now I get a squealing sound when I start out unless I am very very careful and let the clutch out very slow with just the right amount of gas. It's way different than when it was new and I have never had that noise before. Also if taking off up an incline it is impossible not to have the squeal with the amount of gas needed.

Is that the clutch and there is a break-in period or perhaps the compensator working harder because of the clutch engaging so firmly? I don't understand why it would be different than stock when I bought it?

Old 09-08-2016 | 09:55 AM
nfe
Tourer

There is a break-in with all new parts.. However I've never heard of squealing from a clutch that is new.. But I may be wrong, I'm sure someone else will comment!

-G

Old 09-08-2016 | 10:06 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Something is wrong. I recently installed a Screaming Eagle clutch and diaphragm spring. No noise at all.

Squealing sounds are typically metal on metal. I'm guessing they got the disks mixed up and have a metal disk to metal disk.

Take it back to the people that replaced the clutch..and don't take "they all do that", or "it'll go away when it breaks in" for an answer.

Old 09-08-2016 | 03:59 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

Did they put oil in the primary?
There is a ring at the very bottom of the stack on the 06RG clutch that has to go on a specific way. It's the first ring ya put into the clutch bowl when reassembling it. 50/50 chance of guessing it right if you don't look at it real close. I don't know if the 15 model has the same part issue.

Old 09-08-2016 | 04:09 PM
mchertel
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by EasternSP
Did they put oil in the primary?
There is a ring at the very bottom of the stack on the 06RG clutch that has to go on a specific way. It's the first ring ya put into the clutch bowl when reassembling it. 50/50 chance of guessing it right if you don't look at it real close. I don't know if the 15 model has the same part issue.
Yes the Harley dealer did put the fluid in the primary after the clutch install.

Old 09-08-2016 | 05:15 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member

Take it back. Something in the stack is wrong most likely. Riding it will most likely cost someone some $$$.

Old 09-08-2016 | 05:23 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by nytryder
Take it back. Something in the stack is wrong most likely. Riding it will most likely cost someone some $$$.

Old 09-08-2016 | 05:56 PM
mchertel
|
Tourer

New information - seems as though after about 3-4 or so miles or I suppose after warming up it goes away! This doesn't make any sense to me honestly.

Old 09-09-2016 | 07:13 PM
TOFTS
Tourer

Ride the hell out of it try and wear it out (slip it on take off) a lil see if it seats if not like other have said take it back

Old 09-12-2016 | 09:57 PM
mchertel
|
Tourer

Update: The dealer had installed the wrong clutch parts. They put the screaming eagle performance parts in which are not compatible with the FLHTK. I guess that can happen but probably shouldn't. The good news is they did not make me pay the difference for the parts which came to about $100.00 more than the wrong parts. So an extra couple of days in the shop for $100.00 discount is OK.

My question is how the original clutch went out at 17K miles!!!!!???

Quick Reply: Squealing Noise after Clutch install