2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New map for BOOM! Nav finally out??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016 | 10:26 AM
hamah
Road Warrior

I find it a little funny that folks complain about $150 for map updates when in most cases with automotive updates paying for them is the norm. It's also pretty typical to drop the better part of the cost of this update every time you walk into your dealer (well at least it's pretty typical for me). Having said that everyone has their own idea of value.

I like to travel long convoluted tours and take scenic routes that sometimes put me in the middle of nowhere. I've been burned a few times in the past by having to turn around and take the long route around because the GPS map wasn't current.

When you go off the beaten path you can't depend on google maps on your phone. While your GPS receiver will work just fine no cell service means no map data (at least in my case I've never been able to figure out how to download maps for offline use).

For these reasons I don't mind paying for the update.

I did the upgrade yesterday and as others have found it takes a VERY long time but if you follow the instructions closely the process works without a hitch.

The last few years have seen a large amount of change in the local highways around here. This update is much more accurate than the old one.

BTW HD does not own the map database and this is why you are forced to an external site to purchase them and use separate tools and processes to upgrade. It's also why appealing to HD to try and get a free upgrade isn't going to work. With the CVO HD would have cut some sort of time and incident limited subscription deal.

Old 09-11-2016 | 10:45 AM
VT Hog
Road Warrior

I would omly update with what HD has on their site

Old 09-11-2016 | 10:49 AM
hamah
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by VT Hog
I would omly update with what HD has on their site
Then you will never get a map update for your Boom! as HD don't own the maps.

Having said that you are linked directly to the Naviextras site from HD for the purpose of purchasing, downloading, and installing maps for Boom! so you're safe

Old 09-11-2016 | 11:31 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

Did mine this morning. Took about 50 minutes.

Old 09-11-2016 | 03:35 PM
mitchflhx
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 68 XLCH
My update went smoothly, but really time consuming. Satellite internet download SPEED, an oxymoron. 2.5 hour download. Other than that no issues.

It is a convoluted process, with a design to prevent piracy and a with a few potential infotainment idiosyncrasies it can be a bit of a challenge.

Review the process, take your time, it works.
What does your software version say, and what does your data base version say?
Thanks

Old 09-11-2016 | 06:22 PM
thevirginian
Tourer

If it says anything about ...15, then it is almost two years old already. What kind of "upgrade" is that? I would never pay 150 bucks for a two year old map. That's a joke! Why can GARMIN allow you to upgrade four! times per year for free and HD can't?

Old 09-11-2016 | 09:11 PM
Paradigmtilt
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Msquad
I have to say, your adventure sounds a lot easier than mine. It took me 2 days of trying and using 2 different USB drives and having to reload the boom software too (the nav update somehow got interrupted and would never work again but I could not get past the fact that it wanted to do an update). Finally got it to work last night. It *was* a real pain.
I am at that same point exactly, if you don't mind how did you get past it?

Old 09-11-2016 | 09:32 PM
Msquad
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Paradigmtilt
I am at that same point exactly, if you don't mind how did you get past it?
1st I tried to rename the iso file. You can search what to name it to on the forum here. That actually started to work but then crashed. Now it was stuck in update mode. I though my head unit was toast. It wouldn't do anything. So I stuck in a usb w/ the boom software and that updated and brought it back to normal. Then I tried again w/ no luck. Then I did the whole process again w/ a different usb and it worked.

There are other threads about this like going under the setup menu or renaming iso. So I can only say to keep trying different methods that you can search for on this forum. If I was on a computer and not this little phone I'd search for you.

The following users liked this post:
Paradigmtilt (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016 | 05:56 AM
Paradigmtilt
Stage IV

I find it interesting, it seems most people who are having this problem have a CVO.
I have a 2015 FLTRUSE. I will try to reload the boom software.
Thanks for the help

Old 09-12-2016 | 10:23 AM
frankegd
Cruiser

I did and update on my '16 FLHXSE and it works just fine. Took a little longer then I thought..
TIP: Use a USB stick with either 8GB or 16 GB. Anything smaller may take way longer on the validation process.
I did the export to get the thumb print off the bike. Back on the PC, Navistar recognized the thumb print and told me there is an update. After the download was done, I plugged it back into the bike, and about 45 min later is was done.
Test ride showed some improvement to the maps, 3D view looks good.

I hope this helps.
Thank you.
FrankEGD

The following users liked this post:
BigDawgQC (09-12-2016)

Quick Reply: New map for BOOM! Nav finally out??