Sponsored by:

Rear shock questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016 | 05:41 PM
Roadster
|
Advanced
Default Rear shock questions

Trying hard to not beat a dead horse. However, with that said, I have a question pertaining to Harley adjustable shocks. I have owned three touring machines with air shocks which I was comfortable to now. After a test ride on a 2017 Limited which I believed would most closely match my 2015 Ultra Limited I realized I was missing something. Not to wander to far a field my short ride was interesting for a comparison. First The trans was excellent in shifting, clutch not so much with the clicking when I shifted. The engine was a little metric, but, again excellent power. What impressed me the most was the ride and handling. I did not realize that air shocks apparently do not have what I would call the same rebound as adjustable shocks. Finally, to my question concerning adjustable shocks from Harley are they as good on a 2016 as too what I felt on the 2017? Additionally, the front end how much is the 2017 ride due to the front forks? Looking back on a search, a number of other companies came up with high prices for their products which I was not familiar with. Thanks in advance

Old 09-02-2016 | 06:51 PM
Road Gliderman
Cruiser

I too test rode the 2017 Road Glide and then 2016 RG Ultra difference was huge. The suspension on the 2017 was firm front and rear. The Ultra felt like I was driving a big old Caddy! I have gas shocks in the front end of my RG and air in the rear and it is the perfect combo, tight rear suspension is going to put the power to the ground a lot better but you will pay for that on a long ride. I went with Progressive shocks in the front and it handles nicely in corners and twisties and air in the back give me the comfort for 6 hour days.

Old 09-02-2016 | 09:06 PM
Ultraboy105
Tourer

Just put the '17 Limited suspension on your '15. I hear the progressive suspension rides the same way. Probably comes down to cost.

Old 09-04-2016 | 09:50 PM
82ndJumper
Cruiser

Anybody use Terry Cable shocks?

Old 09-05-2016 | 01:29 PM
rwven
Road Master

Originally Posted by Roadster
Trying hard to not beat a dead horse. However, with that said, I have a question pertaining to Harley adjustable shocks. I have owned three touring machines with air shocks which I was comfortable to now. After a test ride on a 2017 Limited which I believed would most closely match my 2015 Ultra Limited I realized I was missing something. Not to wander to far a field my short ride was interesting for a comparison. First The trans was excellent in shifting, clutch not so much with the clicking when I shifted. The engine was a little metric, but, again excellent power. What impressed me the most was the ride and handling. I did not realize that air shocks apparently do not have what I would call the same rebound as adjustable shocks. Finally, to my question concerning adjustable shocks from Harley are they as good on a 2016 as too what I felt on the 2017? Additionally, the front end how much is the 2017 ride due to the front forks? Looking back on a search, a number of other companies came up with high prices for their products which I was not familiar with. Thanks in advance
The stock air shocks on your '16 are woefully underdamped. Drain the factory 5W shock fluid out and replace it with 10W. The shock will "rebound" in a much more controlled manner, it will also "compress" in a more controlled manner. You won't believe they are the same shocks after doing this.

Harley will tell you (officially) that this can't be done without ruining the shocks. They are lying to us. The shocks can also be rebuilt using a seal kit sold by Honda for older Goldwings, but that's another story....

Old 09-05-2016 | 03:28 PM
Roadster
|
Advanced

After more researching and asking questions, I think I am going to buy Harley adjustable shocks and inquire as to rebuilding the front forks. I think from what I am hearing, Harley's premium front fork kit is pretty good. As I like this Harley better than any other bike I have ever owned or ridden for that matter and do not want a 2017 except for the suspension, I am willing to give it a try to copy the 2017 ride.