Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The next Touring frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016 | 11:03 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
I couldn't agree more. It might help the Dyna line,but I just can't see it helping the Touring. It's a cost saving measure,not an upgrade on what is currently being used.

I didn't read every single post this may have been mentioned.

the way the frame bolts together what if they just had the same base frame with different bits that bolt onto the base different rear for Dyna different rear for touring model.

Old 09-09-2016 | 07:15 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
That's very interesting. I'm curious as to what you ride that you feel the new bikes are under powered? Not that I'm disagreeing totally. I feel they are the strongest stock bike yet and as I've said - almost there.
I ride an '01 Dyna with a 95" motor and some head work and a few other things also an EVO FXRP with a 94" motor and a few other performance enhancements.
Both of those bike will leave the Lumphead sniffin' exhaust fumes and wondering what the hell just happened.

V-Rods are pretty fast, Not jap bike fast, but way faster than anything else Harley offers, Sadly they handle poorly due to the fact that Harley always builds bikes that are too low, to long and have too much rake.

Then there's also the problem with the way a V-Rod looks, they're just butt ugly.

Old 09-09-2016 | 07:31 AM
biglew55
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Im thinking this is a possibility of bringing back the FXR since the Touring frame has the FXR triangle

This has been my thinking since the rumor started. With the recent resurgence in popularity of the FXR, and the similarity of it to the touring frame, why not resurrect that old platform in some variation? Also, if you recall, there was some word of renewing the trademark for the "Sport Glide" name.

Is this the death of the Dyna that we're predicting?

Let's think about this: An M8 powered FXR-style bike that comes stock with a 180 rear and a 100/19 front with 6 speeds and cruise? Maybe set one up like the old FXDXT?

HELL YES!!!

Last edited by biglew55; 09-09-2016 at 07:32 AM. Reason: why won't it show m o n i k e r ?
The following users liked this post:
randyp (10-10-2016)
Old 09-09-2016 | 07:32 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
I ride an '01 Dyna with a 95" motor and some head work and a few other things also an EVO FXRP with a 94" motor and a few other performance enhancements.
Both of those bike will leave the Lumphead sniffin' exhaust fumes and wondering what the hell just happened.

V-Rods are pretty fast, Not jap bike fast, but way faster than anything else Harley offers, Sadly they handle poorly due to the fact that Harley always builds bikes that are too low, to long and have too much rake.

Then there's also the problem with the way a V-Rod looks, they're just butt ugly.
The bikes sound like a blast. I've been toying with getting a FX of some sort to drop weight and then add some power. This plan still may happen.

Agreed on all points on the V-Rod. Again, was toying with getting one and steepening the head and adding better suspension. Love the way the power comes on and the weight isn't too bad. But the looks......yeah. Can't do too much about that. In the end I would end up with an overpriced, slower V-Max.

Old 09-09-2016 | 09:03 AM
Beaux
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by harley0711
I love it,, the 17's just hit the floor and here we go on rumors on the 18, lol
And they'll be the best thing since sliced bread like the 09's, 14's and 17's and we'll never hear the end of it!

Old 09-09-2016 | 10:08 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by biglew55
This has been my thinking since the rumor started. With the recent resurgence in popularity of the FXR, and the similarity of it to the touring frame, why not resurrect that old platform in some variation? Also, if you recall, there was some word of renewing the trademark for the "Sport Glide" name.

Is this the death of the Dyna that we're predicting?

Let's think about this: An M8 powered FXR-style bike that comes stock with a 180 rear and a 100/19 front with 6 speeds and cruise? Maybe set one up like the old FXDXT?

HELL YES!!!
I agree. The Dyna was always a poor mans FXR. We came to accept them for their strengths because there was no other choice offered. The return of the FXR would be a lot of fun, although the triangle would still keep it to a marketing niche...the triangle is hidden on the touring bikes....it's never been beautiful overall. Just a solid design. It'll still never quite be the same though. The FXR frame and the Evo motor were just nice combo. My same motor in a Dyna frame lacks excitement...so I can only guess an FXR frame without the Evo motor will not supply the whole package. I will line up to test ride one though....

In a side note....Softails died for me with the B motor...hated that lack of feeling. If the M8 can bring the soul back to the Softail line I'd be very happy to park a Slim in my garage.

Old 09-10-2016 | 07:13 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

The bikes sound like a blast. I've been toying with getting a FX of some sort to drop weight and then add some power. This plan still may happen.
Good plan, The FX bikes (like all Harleys) have their limitations, but if they are set up right they are a a blast to ride.
With the right modifications on the suspension and motor mounts, a Dyna will handle pretty much like an FXR, which is the gold standard for Harley handling.

Agreed on all points on the V-Rod. Again, was toying with getting one and steepening the head and adding better suspension. Love the way the power comes on and the weight isn't too bad. But the looks......yeah. Can't do too much about that. In the end I would end up with an overpriced, slower V-Max.
My sentiments exactly.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (09-10-2016)
Old 10-16-2016 | 09:28 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by scottt
The reason I think a new frame is coming is because Harley will offer an Automatic transmission option. Will require a new frame.
I think you are very right.

Old 10-16-2016 | 09:38 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy Rob
I couldn't agree more. It might help the Dyna line,but I just can't see it helping the Touring. It's a cost saving measure,not an upgrade on what is currently being used.
Guess that means buying a leftover, late build '17 will be the smart thing to do. Works for me ...........